Murdering a S3 205 GTi
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Murdering a S3 205 GTi

So, theres been lots of talk recently on here about the Modifying of late model ( S3 ) 205 GTis.

Advertisement

I thought I would just let everyone know that once again, another one is being pulled apart to have a boat anchor, torque less 16v transplanted.

Lucky I pulled the mint 94k one lady owner Xsara VTS apart to retrieve the XU10J4RS motor from it as it was really not enjoying life where it was. Much better suited in the 205.

I have my work cut out at the moment ( many wonder why I dont have a girlfriend )as Im also stripping my 205 ( it failed rego so Im going to paint it while it takes 4 weeks for the rear beam to be rebuilt ) and now I have ths one to do while working 7 days.

Progress is slow so far. 2 hours worked this afternoon, removed most of the aircon stuff as It may be going OS for a conversion ( if only they knew how shit it actually is )

Plan is. Fit motor. Work out how much needs re arranging ( Mc clearence etc ) as they are all different. Fit wiring loom form Miles in the UK ( plug and play converted loom with ecu from GTi6 ) fit hoses from BBM, make exhaust fit... drive away!

Some progress Pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Murdering a S3 205 GTi-photo-4.jpg   Murdering a S3 205 GTi-photo-5.jpg   Murdering a S3 205 GTi-photo-6.jpg   Murdering a S3 205 GTi-photo-7.jpg   Murdering a S3 205 GTi-photo-8.jpg  
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

You sir, shall burn in the fiery pits of hell... but at least you'll have fun getting there.

Looking forward to the progress reports.

Ive got my fire suit at the ready!

Standard 205s in my opinion are just super slow in a straight line. Sure they will fly round most bends but I like a bit more poke, as do most of my mate who have 205s hence why they are all 16v!

Should be able to update this one pretty regularly. Its my bosses car Im converting, so if the money is flowing, the progress reports will be flowing!

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Surely there is a girl out there who likes greasey hands and good power to weight ratios?
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Haha, plenty!

Ill be quoting that tomorrow at the shop, they will all understand Im sure..

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Surely there is a girl out there who likes greasey hands and good power to weight ratios?
    I had a mate who thought he was on a good thing when he found one like that..
    Turned out to be a nightmare as she wouldn't give him the time to do blokey things with his mates (and without her).
    He ended up removing the doubling pegs off the bike just to get some space.

Jo

Sweet! Take that ugly red badge off the front of that RS though.
    A highly detailed account of how you get the oil pressure gauge working would be great too!
    Last edited by craigos; 1st August 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: wrong info
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    So, theres been lots of talk recently on here about the Modifying of late model ( S3 ) 205 GTis.

I thought I would just let everyone know that once again, another one is being pulled apart to have a boat anchor, torque less 16v transplanted.

Lucky I pulled the mint 94k one lady owner Xsara VTS apart to retrieve the XU10J4RS motor from it as it was really not enjoying life where it was. Much better suited in the 205.

I have my work cut out at the moment ( many wonder why I dont have a girlfriend )as Im also stripping my 205 ( it failed rego so Im going to paint it while it takes 4 weeks for the rear beam to be rebuilt ) and now I have ths one to do while working 7 days.

Progress is slow so far. 2 hours worked this afternoon, removed most of the aircon stuff as It may be going OS for a conversion ( if only they knew how shit it actually is )

Plan is. Fit motor. Work out how much needs re arranging ( Mc clearence etc ) as they are all different. Fit wiring loom form Miles in the UK ( plug and play converted loom with ecu from GTi6 ) fit hoses from BBM, make exhaust fit... drive away!

Some progress Pics.
    So you won't be coming to Shepparton then?

Are you using the VTS gearbox? Isn't there some conversion required for the clutch?

Great stuff mate. GTi6 motor is awesome...and even more awesome in the little 205
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

Standard 205s in my opinion are just super slow in a straight line. Sure they will fly round most bends but I like a bit more poke, as do most of my mate who have 205s hence why they are all 16v!
    I don't disagree at all but am just wondering whether you or your mates have ever done any straight line performance tests? I'd be really interested to know 0-60, 0-100kmh, 1/4 mile times etc with the different conversions. It's info that seems to be rarely shared with these cars for some reason.

I don't mind if they're stopwatch times, GTech or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 88lp View Post
    I don't disagree at all but am just wondering whether you or your mates have ever done any straight line performance tests? I'd be really interested to know 0-60, 0-100kmh, 1/4 mile times etc with the different conversions. It's info that seems to be rarely shared with these cars for some reason.

Yeah, that would be interesting. I think that once you get behind the wheel and have a drive though you kind of stop caring about facts and figures and just keep looking for the next corner!
    White 1989 205 Gti-RS.
    Sorrento 1993 205 Gti.

That's a good point and one we must address! BIGRR is the only one who's been to drags in his XU10J4R powered 205. He did a 14.8 from memory and has been encouraging others to attend. Who's keen for a run?

Cam, did you ask permission from the 205 Preservation God to do the conversion?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Cam, did you ask permission from the 205 Preservation God to do the conversion?
    Perhaps he plans to seek forgiveness rather than than permission, tends to be more effective

cam i should be taking on a similar task in a few months time, see you in hell!

i have already ditched the ac and ac loom. plus the ecu and ecu loom is removed from under the dash and everthing placed under the bonnet. my brown mulitplugs are going on glovebox side ready for a new ecu.

Roof racks. Already non standard and as such fair game for a conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
    My thoughts exactly! Someone's gone and drilled holes in the roof of a 205
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

No can do on the Sheperton day. No car to take down sadly. Next time..
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

Cam,

This will not be the first one you have murdered. At least this one should be driveable again
    Adrian Wuillemin

Same as your Lotus then?

Yes, my first 205 I wrote off running out of talent as a teenager. Put it in a ditch. Classic lift off oversteer.

Second one was the 16v your Dad built me. Was T boned in that by a Falcon. It still drove, as I drove it to my Mums place. The engine gave up the ghost if I remember correctly. That was the end of that one. I bought the car from Melbourne actually, was going to be crushed for scrap but I saved it.

Then there was your old ( FAT205 ). Engine in that also gave up I think. Worn camshaft? That car is now Red and in Canberra as a 16v.

Then there is the 5 that I have managed to get back on the road from cars that were under tarps/sheds etc. 3 are still on the road, theres this white one, and my Red one that are off for a short period.. I do go through them as I do love them. Some make it out alive, others dont.

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

Fellow Frogger!

The lotus was resurected by the new owner.

I transplanted the FAT 205 motor into another car for the guy you sold it to. Kept another one alive..

I was meaning the T boined one.

They are definately best left standard, like all my ones have been....
    Adrian Wuillemin

Yea they gather new quirks with modifications. Some good, some not so.

Glad we are in the same boat about leaving them the way they are...
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car

You blokes are deluded. I'm always on the lookout for my next potential 16V conversion.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Cam
    Hey Mate, any news on this one? How's it going?

Quote Originally Posted by craigos View Post
    A highly detailed account of how you get the oil pressure gauge working would be great too!
    Craigos - oil pressure guage is easy - sort of... I bought a sender adaptor special made by hiflow heads in the uk for this conversion - http://www.hiflowheads.co.uk/ I've attached their pricelist and highlighted the item in yellow on page 3. Might be best to email them first to confirm it's the correct bit, i did mine a while ago now.

It's basically a threaded reducer to go from I think M12 in the iron block to the M10? 205 sender. You could probably get one made easily enough by any machinist. Once you've got that you just use the original 205 sender and wiring.

I haven't put mine on the clock yet but it's a little bit quicker than an Audi S3 - don't ask me how I know this So assume around 0-100 in approx 6.5 secs. I'm not thrashing mine at the moment as it has a suspect timing belt tensioner that is due to be replaced ASAP so will get back to you when I have that done...

Quote Originally Posted by craigos View Post
    Yeah, that would be interesting. I think that once you get behind the wheel and have a drive though you kind of stop caring about facts and figures and just keep looking for the next corner!
    Agreed! My car doesn't actually feel that quick in a straight line but on a good twisty country road, the next corner does appear very rapidly so lots of concentration required!

Quote Originally Posted by djvu205 View Post
    cam i should be taking on a similar task in a few months time, see you in hell!

i have already ditched the ac and ac loom. plus the ecu and ecu loom is removed from under the dash and everthing placed under the bonnet. my brown mulitplugs are going on glovebox side ready for a new ecu.
    It's warm in here, come and join us!! I put my ECU under the dash on the drivers side, you should be able to keep the brown multi-plugs near their original location which i would have thought would make life a little easier? However, I did route the main engine part of the harness in the opposite direction than the 205, ie, over towards the passenger side after coming through the firewall. I felt that I could keep the loom further away from the extractors so as not to fry it this way, and I think it worked out more neatly - I can send some pics if that didn't make any sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Karoshi View Post
    Sacrilege!

Glad we are in the same boat about leaving them the way they are...
    Seriously Cam!? Are you not currently doing not one, but two 16v conversions, quite apart from the other mods to your red car!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    You blokes are deluded.
    Must be

Pat
    Attached Files Attached Files
    205 gti-6

205 track car build in progress http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

What did you do with the donor Xsara car? If its in good nick I'd love to take it sans drivetrain!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information