Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build

Thought i'd join the bandwagon and start a progress thread, instead of bottling it up and feeling sorry for myself when it doesnt go to plan

Bought it as a 1991 205 GTi 1.9 in alpine white, with about 150,000km on it in 2010. Working as a 1st year pug apprentice i thought it would be a good car for me and i liked the car, only recently introduced to peugeots through my dad buying me an s1 405 mi16 for $1100. it ran out of rego and it needed too much work to be rego'ed again. namely seatbelts and an oil leak. so it was cut up for spare parts and scrap metal, and i kept the front cut as i knew it would come in handy at one point. it had 310,000km

The car remained unmodified for the first 6 months, had fun beating lads in vr commodores with a cannon and one day a bad temper got the worse of me and the diff went dropped the clutch getting out of a car spot, on full lock, taking the gearbox with it.

Took the car to a local mechanic who was a mates family friend. took out the engine and gearbox and stripped it for $250. saved me doing the work and was a good price. unfortunately he became very busy(forgot how to put it back together) and wouldn't work on it for about 3 months or so, and conveniently remembered i had the 405 as a half cut at home, so i undertook the mi16 conversion not out of desire but out of necessity to get my car running again.

Bought a 2nd hand gearbox off a highly regarded forum member (name withheld unless they want to come forward and got alot of assistance from another highly regarded forum member with the engine wiring harness and general advice for mechanical direction. slowly did it over a number of saturdays at his workshop outside in his yard, did a timing belt, water pump and 2 tensioners on the s1 mi16 motor before it went in.

Advertisement

Slowly but surely as my knowledge built from working on pugs (now a 3rd year pug dealer mechanic), i've done more and more to the car. Currently stands with a new (to me) engine computer, an Autronic SMC, so the wiring and some plumbing is a bit messy for now, but you get the general idea

Short term goals are to install a shortened radiator, modify with a built in bleed screw and filler neck/cap, remove the standard header tank, install a modified alloy water inlet at the back of the block, and tidy up/move the wiring under the intake manifold (and blank off the idle controllers inlet while im there, maybe add in a seperate port for the map sensor instead of tapping into the fuel pressure reg line. and get it running properly.... needs a tune asap!

long term goal is a terrrrbroow and fit a manual steering rack (ac and p/s was taken out for simplicity, and is the trend. simple, lots of space for other mods

Pics below are of the car as i bought it, putting the mi16 engine in, the donor car i bought on the cheap and stole some interior parts and some other bits, a very primative setup soon after i got it home (with a coffee style cloth as an air cleaner!) and how it stands now.

the engine has about 350,000km on it now, still hauls ass and not making mayonnaise! although i suspect this will be short lived..

Enjoy

Mods:
    - XU9J4Z Engine (89 405 Mi16)
    - Shortened Inlet Manifold
    - 2.5" Custom Catback Exhaust
    - Autronic SMC 1.92 Management
    - Magnecor 8.5mm Competition Spark Plug Leads
    - Spoox Motorsport Oil Breather Hoses
    - BakerBM Shortened Air Intake Hose
    - BakerBM Coolant Hoses
    - BakerBM Group N Engine Mounting Kit
    - BakerBM Group A Rear Beam Mounting Kit
    - Gaz Adjustable Front Coilovers w/ BakerBM Group N Rubber Mounts
    - Gaz Adjustable Rear Shock Absorbers
    - Quaife Automatic Torque Biasing Differential w/ Redline Lightweight Shockproof Oil
    - 309 GTi Steering Wheel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-1.jpg   Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-3.jpg   Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-4.jpg   Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-5.jpg   Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-6.jpg  
    Last edited by Capago; 13th July 2012 at 12:13 AM.
    The wrong oil is better than no oil at all.

Nice work mate. White 205s are the best IMO
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Cheers mate although admittedly i think mine will need a respray. I was thinking about filling in the dents with a mobile remover or a lick of bog/primer, then having it vinyl wrapped. either in white, miami blue or the grey t16 colour, with white compomotives, until i decide on colour
    Last edited by Capago; 13th July 2012 at 11:19 PM.

change of plan, time for a rebuild! i think it deserves one after 350,000km..

time for a new aftermarket computer (already has one). ran like a bag of s*** one day, not at all the next. getting spark and fuel, timing is ok, belt is ok. noticed oil coming from between the head and the block...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2362.jpg   Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2378.jpg  
    Last edited by Capago; 25th July 2012 at 11:06 PM.

just the subframe off and it will be ready to come out. very saddened by what i found in the intake manifold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2471.jpg  

bought this VB commodore as an inbetween car. 2 grand, 250,000km on the clock, 4 speed manual, 173/2.8L big red lump of metal, 1 year rego. LPG...so slow!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-378280_10151156011526663_213605141_n.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Capago View Post
    bought this VB commodore as an inbetween car. 2 grand, 250,000km on the clock, 4 speed manual, 173/2.8L big red lump of metal, 1 year rego. LPG...so slow!!
    That is horrific! But I kinda like it.

My mate used to own a burgundy station wagon VB. Worst and funniest car at the same time.

But to give credit where it's due, the thing will run forever.

I can use it as practice for bodywork as well, rather do it on this than the pug

Just don't have a crash in it!
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Thats a good crapper. It will appreciate in value as they become rarer and rarer.

Jo

^ Too true
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

The same suspension is in my 205.

What weight front coils are running ???

Chris

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i had a VH as an inbetweener once

had around the same mileage on it

5 spd, 202 so a big 3.3L

bought it for $800 from a woman who needed the $$$'s for DUI fine

had to keep the flashlube up to it though but it just kept on bloody going, awful to drive but kept going

sold it 6 months later for twice what i paid for it and the bloke that bought it couldn't believe how good the gearbox was in it, i ran G70 nulon in it and it was the best part of the whole car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Not sure what weight the springs are, there tucked away at the moment and would take ages to get out, but its whatever they came with when i ordered them..200 pounds or something?

my crappers not to bad, depending on who you talk to, they say its 2 grand too much, or its worth 5+, 20 in 10 years time. someone who appreciates holdens told me how good the gearbox was, how clean the seats were, how straight the body was and how little rust was in it. might not be so bad after all
    Last edited by Capago; 8th August 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Keeping busy, finally got round to getting the motor out and apart. craneless engine removal, removed the front suspension, dropped the car onto bricks, 2 foam camping mats under the engine, release mounts, jack up car, engine out the side!

Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2731.jpg Not the reason (i suspect) for its non-starting, but glad i got to it when i did!

Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2732.jpg bit of corossion, doesnt look overly bad down the side of the liners. is it me or do they look crooked?

Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2744.jpg timing belt went on the last owner of the 405 (long gone!) but unsure if they had the valves replaced from bendature, look alright..

Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2746.jpg im sure i'll forget what goes where. the fun hasnt even begun yet!

Not a fan of these liner contraptions..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2953.jpg   Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-img_2954.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Dont sit the head face down with the cams in, you can potentially bend the valves.
    Adrian Wuillemin

Get the block grit blasted, just around the liner seats, no where else. Then a dip the parts washer with all bungs removed. You can then make a judgement call on the condition of the seats.

If ok, sit clean liners on the seats, without o-rings, and you can measure the liner protrusion.

Deck block and/or liners as required to ensure liner is perpendicular and protrusion within spec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-mvc-011f.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Wuillemi View Post
    Dont sit the head face down with the cams in, you can potentially bend the valves.
    whoops! noted...

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Get the block grit blasted, just around the liner seats, no where else. Then a dip the parts washer with all bungs removed. You can then make a judgement call on the condition of the seats.

If ok, sit clean liners on the seats, without o-rings, and you can measure the liner protrusion.

Deck block and/or liners as required to ensure liner is perpendicular and protrusion within spec.
    Wont forcibly removing the bungs damage them if being reused? or will the parts wash/acid wash destroy them?

by eye they actually look ok, but will get them cleaned wednesday. otherwise i still need to sort a receipt out for the iron block i bought a while ago

I mean the two oil gallery bungs, not the welsh plugs.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

im not 100% as to what your referring to, do you have a picture?

There's one at each end. How can you clean out the bock thoroughly if you don't unscrew them? Any glass left caught in there will destroy your new engine in seconds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron's 205 Mi16 Build-oil-gallery-bung.jpg  

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Ah ok was going to pull them out, not sure if I've got a large enough socket. I've taken out all the other plugs

And glass? Soda blasting?

UPDATE: absolutely nothing at all, except my purchase of a new motor because the old one is trash, is now delayed due to a very badly slipping commodore clutch! ebay special and put a for sale sign in the window.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information