69 404 restoration - Page 9
  • Register
  • Help
Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: 69 404 restoration

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick56 View Post
    Next time I’ll try that - main thing is I don’t want there to be a next time, so horrendous was the job.

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, and remember to wear breathing/ hand protection with sceney's or do a stock take on finger tips after finishing.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Started tinkering with the wiring looms this weekend. Think I have replicating the numbering system and white terminal ends sorted. More on that as they progress.

Being a bit of a Bowerbird, I have not thrown anything out and I have collected a few extra electrical objects since starting the reno. This includes two extra complete wiring looms of which none are identical. Each one has had extra wires added for one thing or another. From where they are located within the looms, I assume they are for things like tacho’s, driving/fog lights, radio/CD players and then there are the ones that have just been cut off, sidelights, electric fan etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171112_085623.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	101413 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171112_085817.jpg 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	101414

Not having the perfect eyesight of days gone by, the two wiring schematics I have are rather small and hard to follow. Solution, scan the diagram, save it as a PDF and then have it printed poster size. 600 x 600mm, works just fine. (I think the term at work is called PD) Being colour-blind does not help either, so a multi-meter was used to help trace wires.

Name:	20171118_195601.jpg 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	101423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171119_115621_001.jpg 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	101426

Which loom to use? Simple, sit on the floor with the enlarged schematic and record all the numbers that are present in their rough location on a sheet of paper. Determine what is what according to the schematic and then identify the missing numbers accordingly.

As it turns out, I have two ’70 looms and one ’69 version, which is the original from the car. Originally, I was just going to put the best one back in, but after inspecting them and determining the terminals, wire and insulating rubber have all perished over time, it was decided to make new ones. Sometime back, I bought a complete NOS under bonnet/engine bay loom.

Name:	20171112_065734.jpg 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	101415

Well that takes care of one-fifth of the looms required. There are five main looms in total; the engine bay, two under the dashboard, fuse-box to left tail light and then the one between the taillights that includes the number plate light and the fuel sender unit.

After determining which looms to use, the two under dashboard looms were laid out and pinned onto a sheet of ply. The numbers and names of the components were transcribed onto the sheet of ply. This was done twice for each loom. The plan is to remove the tape/binding around the existing looms and then remove one wire at a time. Measure it, cut a new wire of the same or similar colour and place it into the empty pin lay out. Each cable will be cut with an addition 150mm, the reason for this is two-fold; if I stuff crimping/soldering (the latter being the preferred option) a terminal, it will not be short and the extra will also allow for pull back created when re-wrapping the with insulation tape. The tension placed the tape, when pulling it tight, will/could have the effect of trying to contract back to its original size, thus causing some shrinkage in the loom. This advice came to me from a retired Honda Racing engineer. Apparently, sometime back when building a new race bike, their loom ended up being too short. So, extra length and fit the terminal last will be the way I proceed.

Name:	20171118_195502.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	101417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171118_195434.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	101416 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171119_115714.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	101428

Talk later,

Dano
    forumnoreason likes this.

Page 9 of 9 First ... 56789

Thread Information