ID19 rust repair
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default ID19 rust repair

I've been (very) slowly removing the extensive rust in my '58 Slough ID19. Have finished the boot/gutters/C-pillar areas and moved on to the longitudinal box sections(sills). Due to amount of metal that has to be replaced I was concerned about the frame sagging. After some thought I have fabricated and fitted a A-frame to support the body while I attack the sills. Basically two thick-wall tubes that pick up at the base of the A-pillar, towards the top of the B-pillar (through the seat belt mounting point), and at the base of the C-pillar. The tubes are fitted with LH and RH 8mm rod-ends and by rotating the tubes I can pre-load the body and maintain alignment.
    Pictures hopefully explain.
    roger

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ID19 rust repair-idbracing_3.jpg   ID19 rust repair-idbracing_4.jpg   ID19 rust repair-idbracing_1.jpg   ID19 rust repair-idbracing_2.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Fantastic, I like how you have approached that a lot. Most of the bracing you see is usually welded straight to the body. You have managed to use existing attachment points, so have avoided damaging the existing bodywork.

Is the motor and gearbox still in? It definitely wouldn't bend or twist in the slightest without all the weight trying to pull the front down

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

Are you making your own repair panels or buying them in? Some of the repro parts leave a bit to be desired and aren't ready to fit to the car as supplied. It can be rather disappointing.

When it comes to setting up the doors again, one thing I noticed recently was that the rounded end of the screwed hinge pin can wear out of round. Then the door might moves in and out slightly as you turn the pin to raise or lower the door. Just a minor problem, but it may be a possible source of some frustration.

Tadpole

I am rebuilding a 1974 DS Special, I also manufactured a rotissery. I wish I could load some pictures, but I do not know how.

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard & Mary View Post
    I am rebuilding a 1974 DS Special, I also manufactured a rotissery. I wish I could load some pictures, but I do not know how.
    Have a look here for some help with posting pictures - we would appreciate you starting a thread in our restoration forum - always good to see another D brought back to life
    Computer ignorance.

Appologies to Roger (lhs2.1) for taking your thread off topic, look forward to your updates, love the bracing - nicely done

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Tadpole

My appologies to Roger. I am new to using car forums, and I did not intend to be disrespectful to your ID19 thread.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard & Mary View Post
    My appologies to Roger. I am new to using car forums, and I did not intend to be disrespectful to your ID19 thread.
    There is no need for any apologies, I certainly haven't taken any offence. Look foward to seeing some photos of your work.
    roger

Thread Information