CX restoration
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: CX restoration

Default CX restoration

Bought this cx in sydney about 2 months ago, was a very clean original cx gti manual 2400ie 1981 model but the clear coat had perished and some small dents made me decided to give it a paint job and make some small modifications on the way, pictures say it all, very happy with my home paint job, did it in 2 pak clear over base and used, 2 pak prime aswell,
    all done outside in the beautiful tassie fresh air then blocked back with wet and dry and buffed

Advertisement

just not sure if i should put the ribber rubbing strips back on the side or not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX restoration-img_0476.jpg   CX restoration-img_0477.jpg   CX restoration-img_0490.jpg   CX restoration-img_0487.jpg   CX restoration-img_0621.jpg   CX restoration-img_0622.jpg  

CX restoration-img_0623.jpg  

nice work !

If you can avoid accidents yes hold off on the strips;
    Paint shows its shape beautifully, as does swapping blackout for brightwork.
    What other mods have you done? I can't quite see the wheels in that beautiful Antarctic twilight ... IIRC the Von Bock GS had had something done to its alloys and I had wondered if they might safely be machined to look like those of a Bugatti Royale (!)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

You do very nice work. That car has very nice lines and panel fit. Did you remove the springs from the bonnet prop That's the only way I could get the drivers side of my bonnet to sit down level like yours is.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Default cx

The bonnet prop doesnt have the spring when i bought it but i found it in the boot, still i havent fitted as yet as i dont actually see the need, the drivers side fits well but the passenger side sits up slightly in the middle only will play with it one day to try and inprove

I have modified the distrivutor and fitted one from a 2400 with points then put acuspark electronic ignition and a bosch gt40 coil under the spare wheel where you cant see it and played with the advance mechanism to make it go very well, i also fitted and air filter pod instead of the crap gauze filter and found it made a great inprovement with out any extra noise, it only make a small induction roar at full throttle which i like,

The wheels are alfa romeo 156 alloys picked up from ebay for $163 for the full set plus two tyres and paint in left over land rover bonnati grey 2 pak from a land rover i painted

Fellow Frogger

Good work! I've always thought the black side strips break up the shape enough to lengthen it's appearance. My opinion would be to put them back on, but with different rims etc., it may not be quite the look you now want.

I vote for No strips. 2 reasons - they were originally designed without them and that car looks great as is, even though it doesn't have the stainless hub caps that I think are one of the best bits of pressed metal ever.
    I wish I could get around to doing up one of mine.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Cx

Wow!

I love it too and great painting.

Looks stunning.

Chris Mortimer

Whilst I think it looks just fantastic the way it is, the strips will give some protection from twits and idiots in carparks who don't look/care when opening doors.....which in my opinion at least, makes them worth it.

Whilst I think it looks just fantastic the way it is, the strips will give some protection from twits and idiots in carparks who don't look/care when opening doors.....which in my opinion at least, makes them worth it.

Default cx

i try not to park in carparks on along the road its safer but you are right they add great protection

Hey Balki,

Looks great - are you going to bring it down for Bastille Day?

Cheers,
    Andrew

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Default cx

hi andrew, yes i will, was going to ring you next week to catch up when we are down there and also make sure you bring along at least 2 cars so we have a huge display as i have lots of people from the north coming down also should be fantastic

Looks great, but I'd put the strips back on. Never got around to it after I had the Prestige resprayed, and always thought it looked like a stranded whale. The Pallas is a better proportioned without, but I still prefer the strips, and am glad my old car's current owner got around to putting the strips back on.
    Love the wheels, too.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Balki,
    Looks fabulous and I vote to leave the side strips off. You seem to have the skills to touch up /remove / repaint for side damage and to me it looks beautiful as it is now. The lines from the side with the rear wheel spats are glorious.

Note to fnqvmuch- as (part) owner now of VB GS wagon, I don't think the alloys are modified. From photos of other cars they seem to be from a later GSA or GSX model. They are 3 stud wheels. We intend to source and replace them with standard steel wheels with the central hubcaps from the 74/75 GS era. Will be seeking hubcaps soon...

Cheers,
    Leconte

Quote Originally Posted by Leconte View Post
    Hi Balki,
    Looks fabulous and I vote to leave the side strips off. You seem to have the skills to touch up /remove / repaint for side damage and to me it looks beautiful as it is now. The lines from the side with the rear wheel spats are glorious.

Note to fnqvmuch- as (part) owner now of VB GS wagon, I don't think the alloys are modified. From photos of other cars they seem to be from a later GSA or GSX model. They are 3 stud wheels. We intend to source and replace them with standard steel wheels with the central hubcaps from the 74/75 GS era. Will be seeking hubcaps soon...

Cheers,
    Leconte
    Your wagon should have the slotted (2nd style) wheels if I'm not mistaken, and the honeycomb grille with the metal strips going across.
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

got a heap of hub caps. In melb CBD most weeks if you want me to bring a set up.

Driving - '90 XM, '85 CX IE Auto, 406 Coupe, 405 srdt wagon, '78 dyane, Resting (or Rusting): '73 Birotor '82 CX Presitige, '81 CX Break IE, GS X2, GS1015 Wagon, GS 1300 5sp Wagon, '76 GS 1220 Wagon, '75 GS Wagon, '58 2CV, '58 Vauxhall Velox

Default It starts with the wheels

Balki's paint job on the wheels is simply oarsum (a rowing term). I don't believe the "aftermarket" wheels detract from the overall authenticity of the the package.

The overall effect of eliminating the matt black effect and returning to the stainless steel, together with the wheel "impact" results in a timeless design which is right up there with the latest stylistic efforts like the Hyundai i40 - only joking.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Looks fantastic. I reckon lack of Pallas skirts and side strips really brings out the original design.
    C5 Touring 2008, CX 2400ie Prestige '81 (with dead gerbox), CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic '80, CX2400 Super Familiale C-Matic '79 (to be scrapped very soon) , CX2400i Familiale 5-spd (to be scrapped), GS 1220 Wagon '78 (next project), ID19 '64
    CX Register

Thread Information