Matra Jet 6 restoration. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Matra Jet 6 restoration.

Paul.....does it have "Smiths" written on it? If so, I'll pass on your offer. Thanks in any case but it has to match, originality is going to play a role here.

Shane......I think that the 2 gauges with the black bezels originated from a Club. Many Citroen GS Club gauges found their way into Renaults in ZA. That is the 1220 Club and they had the Jaegers with the matt black bezels. The speedo and rev counters were a fraction smaller and they fit beautiful in a Dauphine or Caravelle dash surround.

Regards
    Frans.

Advertisement
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

Some progress on the Matra. As you can see the chassis came out looking good. It has to cure for about 4 weeks with this special primer/etch coat that was applied. So we will keep busy on other items. A big cleanup is lying ahead to get the bolts and nuts wire brushed and clean so that they can go for plating.

Just heard that the balancing on the engine parts is complete and that I will get tomorrow. Assembly will start in all seriousness again as soon as I have finished the baffles in the sump. The baffles wont be in such detail as the race car but just a good improvement.

See the before and after.

Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_1047.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_1048.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_1051.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_1268.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_1273.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_1274.jpg  

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Interesting, what is the idea behind the twin coil spring setup on the suspension
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Interesting, what is the idea behind the twin coil spring setup on the suspension
    Shane,

That is the way from the factory. It is built that way and has much the same idea behind it as the R8 Gordinis with their double shockabsorbers. From what I heard is that in those times the shocks available with adjustable actions were limited, that is why they went double. That was for sporting use obviously.

Frans.

1000+ Posts

i seem to remember haveing double springs on the rear of my 504 wagon ,you can use a softer spring for comfort but 2 springs compress less with load ,more applicable with a workhorse than a sports car ,although i note that the springs are spaced a fair distance apart ,giving a better location of the lower wishbone perhaps .With the drive shaft going through there a single spring would require a lot taller spring support encroaching on the cabin space as well as the weight factor me thinks PUGS ,keep up the good work frans,im always keen to see your progress .

Looks great. Twin coil set-up looks very similar to the arrangement that Jaguar used on the E-type and all of its subsequent cars for many years.

Default Dash

I thought I might just have a quick look of what lies ahead.

Frans
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0326.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0327.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0328.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0330.jpg  

Default More Engine.

I have been building a sand blasting cabinet for the many parts that needs to be plated so the engine assembly stayed behind a bit.

What I have done was modify the sump to fit the new 1400 engine block. The 1400 sump lies at an angle in the R11s and they work but don't look good on an upright motor. So I cut the 1400 sump arch out as well as the 1300 sump arch and he weld the 1400 arch onto the 1300 sump. I baffled it bit but just for safe road use.

Then I fitted the crank and pistons and that is where I am now. Pictures attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0333.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0334.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0335.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0336.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0338.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0339.jpg  

Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0341.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0343.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0347.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0349.jpg  

Default Matra Jet 6 restoration.

Beautiful work as usual Frans
    cheers,

John

With the help of your opinions I removed the cam and started the modification. That is now all done. Here we come with a few extra horses.

I came across another problem! Do you know how hard it is to clean a coil spring and spray it? there are so many sides to it, Inside, outside, up, down, top, bottom, front, rear and then that is only on one rotation.

A view of my time spent and then I am a hero, my grandson's hero just because I gave him a spin in the racecar.

Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0358.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0359.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0361.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0362.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0354.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0356.jpg  

Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0363.jpg  

Seems to be coming along nicely. I hope to see and hear it some day.

I have had a problem with the cylinder head. There is a leak on No1 cylinder. The leak is very small and it seeps through from the water channel to the exhaust port. I must have gone a little too deep when I made the inserts as seen in the pics on the first page. I don't think it is fatal because I removed the insert and made another one to press in.

Now comes my question. What can I use as a sealant before I press the insert back in. It doesn't have to hold the insert because that is a press fit. It only needs to seal the hole. Water from one side and exhaust gases from the other side. The head and insert is aluminium.

Regards

Frans.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    I have had a problem with the cylinder head. There is a leak on No1 cylinder. The leak is very small and it seeps through from the water channel to the exhaust port. I must have gone a little too deep when I made the inserts as seen in the pics on the first page. I don't think it is fatal because I removed the insert and made another one to press in.

Now comes my question. What can I use as a sealant before I press the insert back in. It doesn't have to hold the insert because that is a press fit. It only needs to seal the hole. Water from one side and exhaust gases from the other side. The head and insert is aluminium.

Regards

Frans.
    Hi Frans

Have you thought about getting it TIG welded?
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Col,
    It is an ackward leak. I tried to find the hole or crack but no luck. It is very small because it only started leaking at 45 psi and that was a droplet at a time. And then typical of a leak, it never is where the water comes out. It might be somewhere else and finds a path to escape a mile away.
    You do have a good idea but then I'll have it tested again to find the excact spot and hopefully it is accessable with a torch.
    Frans

COL

Frans

I was initially thinking and epoxy but not sure that there would be one that will handle the exhaust gas temperature.
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Many parts have been cleaned and sent to the electroplaters. I got them back last week and started the basic assembly. Attached is the 2 bottom wishbones almost ready to go in. Still awaiting the new balljoints.

There is a box full of spares and there will be plenty more.

Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0393.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0394.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0395.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0399.jpg  

Tomorrow and Sunday have been put aside for the assembly of all the parts that have been completed. I will follow up with pics sometime soon. Attached is a preview of he before and after of the completed stub axle.

Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0392.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0411.jpg  

COL

Hope it all goes smoothly Frans, look forward to the pics of the finished product
    Regards Col

1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

Hi All,
    The assembly went well and we were done early Saturday Afternoon so I pulled a new cable in for his boat trailor and wired it up as well. I forgot to take my spring compressors with to get the springs in. A sign that they are too long

I did however make a mistake in the assembly that shows on the pictures. Spot it? It was rectified later on.

The rear suspension is next and I got it all at home. The left upper wish bone has damage on it (bent) and it was repaired by others although it is still visible. That must be fixed.

Then I got a real bargain!! The right hand drive rack & pinion that became the spare is a quick rack out of a G. It does 3 turns lock to lock. That will go into the race car soon.

Regards
    Frans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0414.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0418.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0419.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0422.jpg   Matra Jet 6 restoration.-img_0423.jpg  

I spotted it but Mum's the word.

As always, nice work Frans and thanks for the updates.

How long have you been working on R8 suspension and you go and make a basic mistake like that.

Take this as a formal warning and if it happens again you will have to hand back your man card.
    Ross:

1989 Alpine GTA Twin Turbo
    1963 Renault R8
    1996 Peugeot 106 S16
    1967 NSU Prinz 1200TT
    1989 Peugeot 205 GTi

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

You went and put your safety boots on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matra Jet 6 restoration.-capture-frans.jpg  
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    How long have you been working on R8 suspension and you go and make a basic mistake like that.

Take this as a formal warning and if it happens again you will have to hand back your man card.
    I do have an excuse as usual. On the Matra the anti roll bar is mounted to the rear of the front crossmember. Because the lower wishbones are symmetrical I fitted them like that, not knowing that the anti rollbar is long at the ends to reach to the front. Therefor I think that Matra was dumb to make such a long anti rollbar and add that much more weight to the car. By rights they should have built the car the way I wanted to assemble it.

Regards,
    Frans.

The longer the arms the softer the anti-roll
    1965 Renault R8 :
    2003 Citroen C5 v6

I don't have a bucket list,
    but my fxxket list is a mile long

1000+ Posts

thanks! all very interesting and please keep the updates happening.
    How you will relish driving it when it's finished
    cheers! Peter

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Thread Information