Allens 2004 Citroen C2 VTR
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Allens 2004 Citroen C2 VTR

Seeing as I'm now keeping this, I may as well make the effort of Introducing myself to the rest of the participants of the forum.

Firstly my Name is Allen, I moved to Brisbane mid november last year from Townsville due to "complicated" reasons, but mostly to be with my family after a family tragedy.

My car isn't "really" my car, it belonged to my father and was left to me after he died.

It's fairly rough the edges atm, the sensodrive is playing up again as it seems to do every 2 years or so, 8 years on even citroen dealers don't seem to be able to rectify the problems.

recently I was trying to sell the car as I know my father wouldn't want me to be burdened by it, but after dealing with a few time wasters and an ebay buyer who decided he no longer wanted to pay up I have decided to do what needs to be done to see the problems gone forever, I'm ripping out the sensodrive for a manual conversion (converting it to a GT spec I suppose)

Atm I'm trying to piece together all the mechanical pieces of the puzzle, with the electrics soon to follow.

While I am waiting for the pieces to become available, I'll be fixing up a few of the cars shortcomings also, the interior needs some cleaning up and the colour coded translucent plastics in the interior might have been in fashion almost 10 years ago, but now kinds scream ricer or girls car, so I'll be doing some 3M inox laminating to take care of that

anyways hope you guys like it, but theres plenty more to come in the coming months.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by DryftKult View Post
    .....Seeing as I'm now keeping this....

My car isn't "really" my car, it belonged to my father and was left to me after he died.......

.....as I know my father wouldn't want me to be burdened by it......
    Sorry to hear of your father passing.

I've got to say though, It sounds to me like you have what many of us here have, a weird love/hate relationship with out cars combined with a over exaggerated feeling of obligation (to get the damn thing sorted).

I didn't know you father, but I can imagine him 'up there' either screaming..."Sell it you fool", or maybe just grinning that you have been caught up in the french car thing.
    Good luck with it.

Jo

That's not far from the truth, I do love the car and always have, I love the sensodrive when it's working, but absolutely hate it when it doesn't.

over a 8 year period the actuators have been replaced 3 times, would be a fourth time if I would be sucked in enough to pay them to fix it yet again but I think they have made enough money from this car already.

I suppose the best thing I have to look forward to is the fact the cars actually turn out quicker AFTER the manual conversion has been done lol.

hoping to find some 106 gti cams and pulleys to throw into the mix while I'm at it, will more than likely do the underdrive crank pulley and extractors while I'm at it.

well this afternoon I bit the bullet, went out and bought a few hundred dollars worth of tools and got to work, removed the front bar so I could have easier access to the transmission ecu and pulled it out, quick inspection shows it to be free from moisture, I'm not so happy about the condition of the loom tho.

that crappy cloth type tape is deteriorating and isn't even sticky anymore, also found that during the last repair a lot of the looms around the battery box and fuse panel were not clipped back into place and secured, so now there's a couple of wires here and there that have ever so slightly worn through but nothing that shows any evidence of shorting out.

anyway I went back out and bought a bulk pack of black pvc electrical tape, once the car is running again I'll be re wrapping the entire engine bay loom.

washer bottle cap arrived in the mail today, nothing exciting I know, but it's the first part for the resto to arrive so for me it's exciting none the less lol

Thats great! Its always nice to have thing arrive in the mail. Give you something to look forward to fixing up. Its good to see your having a go at doing what you want with the car. Will be so satisfying when your done.

Cam
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Too true, love coming home to freshly delivered packages, still waiting on the new buttons for the key fobs, workshop manual on dvd and bonnet stay clips (only need one but they come in a pack of 2?) to arrive atm.

Haven't started buying the mechanicals for the conversion just yet as I'm currently inspecting all possible causes for the problem before I dive in with both feet. According to some people on the c2 forums the problem may not be with the actuator or ecu at all but very well may be resulting from a fault with the wiring, so I'm doing what I can atm to inspect it all and make sure it's all working where it should be.

Apparently 3 actuator replacements is pretty excessive, even WITH the early C2's reputation for failure, so I'm sussing out everything I possibly can.

Tell you what I'd kill for a decent scan tool right about now.

so turns out the workshop manual was a full current copy of citroen servicebox

sufficiently happy, has cleared up a lot of questions I had about the box's workings.

the best part is I don't need to replace the box if I want to fo full manual, I just need to rebuild it with the regular manual selector forks and fit the clutch gear haha.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Gentle progress

I think that what you are doing is a sensible thing. You've chosen a direction that you want to go and you are doing the research prior to "jumping in". I have no knowledge of the C2, but I look forward to learning about your car as you progress. Keep us posted.

David

Fellow Frogger

so turns out the workshop manual was a full current copy of citroen servicebox

sufficiently happy, has cleared up a lot of questions I had about the box's workings.

the best part is I don't need to replace the box if I want to fo full manual, I just need to rebuild it with the regular manual selector forks and fit the clutch gear haha.
    I know the cases are different because of the need to mount actuators on the Sensodrive version. The internals are apparently basically the same though. However, I'm told the cases are also different in that the Sensodrive version is missing a drilling to take one of the regular manual selectors. This is because of the way the gear shift actuator operates on the selectors, so look into this aspect before assuming you can use your own gearbox.

yep I was aware that may be the case, hopefully won't be a problem getting it drilled to take the second selector.

still have little bits and pieces turning up in the mail and ordering a few other little pieces on monday with a bit of luck.

I need to find the little clips with tip ties that secure the loom all over the show, I remember seeing some on a site a while back that were the regular mounts which accept regular zip ties, I'll try to find some of these I think.

yep I was aware that may be the case, hopefully won't be a problem getting it drilled to take the second selector.

still have little bits and pieces turning up in the mail and ordering a few other little pieces on monday with a bit of luck.

I need to find the little clips with tip ties that secure the loom all over the show, I remember seeing some on a site a while back that were the regular mounts which accept regular zip ties, I'll try to find some of these I think.
    I think you are referring to cable ties, sometimes called zip ties.
    Buy them from electrical suppliers ( where electricians get their stuff)
    Buy good ones. Cabac is a good brand. avoid cheapies from Big W etc as they generally wont last long, and are usually weak.. Only buy black ones as they are stabilised for external conditions.
    Remember to allow for engine movement when securing loom

Good luck with the project. They are a neat little car

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

Fellow Frogger

Some of the ties you refer to are moulded to have a tie or clip mounted to a base that snaps into/onto the body. Look up the parts listing and you will find them shown there. Or find a wreck and scrounge some.

yeah, I know that, read it again lol.

cmon guys give me a little credit.

well it's now booked in for a diagnostic at the local citroen dealer near albion, 47.4km tow, woowoo!

I love spending money!

Fellow Frogger

Assuming it's still in Sensodrive form ... if they diagnose a problem with either the clutch or gear actuators, it is sometimes possible to dismantle them, de-carbon the stepper motors and lubricate them instead of replacing them. Sometimes, there may be a stripped tooth or a snapped pinion in the clutch actuator, which means replacement is the only option. Those are not really DIY jobs. Reading the fault codes will point you in the right direction as it should at the very least let you know which component is likely to be the problem. It would be very uncommon, but not impossible, for there to be a problem with the ECU or controls in the cabin. It could even be a simple as a bad brake switch and/or the actuator adjustment.

Yeah I'm hoping it's something simple, last couple of times this has happened its cost $1500 to fix, what botheres me tho is the Brisbane dealer has told me they are not really familiar with the sensodrive system :/

Fellow Frogger

Aren't there two dealers in Brisbane? I thought Brisbane Citroen was the only dealer for some time and that another was relatively recently appointed. Brisbane Citroen should know Sensodrive well, so are you going to the wrong dealer in this case??? It sounds odd that they would admit to not being familiar with it and it makes me think you may want to consider alternatives. You need to be taking it to someone who has the factory diagnostic tool (to read codes, update the software if required and initialise both actuators correctly), the jig/tool to set the clutch actuator position correctly and preferably training and experience with it.

the only dealer showing up in brisbane on the citroen australia website is the dealer in bowen hills which is the one I'm booked in for on thursday, the only other dealers I can find are southport or currimindi, both very inconvenient as the distance to tow for the diagnostic, then have to tow back if I can't afford the repairs, needless to say the citroen dealers maintenance personnel should be adequately trained to work on a vehicle manufactured by the parent company that is less than 10 years old and only discontinued 3 years ago.

the last couple of years has left me very little faith with citroen service quality, never kicked up a stink before because the vehicle wasn't mine back then, but by god if they can't get their act together this time I don't know how I'm going to react.

went to move the car today, found it's now stuck in gear.

funny thing is I pushed it to where it sits now without any help, now it's stuck, the drama's never stop *breathes deep breaths*

going back tomorrow with a fully charged newer battery to see if I can get it out of gear, I don't know why it's stuck now because I personally moved it myself about a month and a half ago and it was fine, I'm thinking the current battery is too flat to move the actuator enough to disengage gears.

ok the car has been at the dealership since thursday last week, I just got a call back and I got pleasant news, the car is now driving again and ready for collection, for the grand total of $268.20.

Now, they say it looks like the car has tried to select 2 gears at once, they don't know "why" but it seems to be working now.

they did mention that the rivits in the selector might have worn loose and caused a misalignment or this could be the result of a minor software glitch and could be a one time only thing, we'll wait and see.
    Last edited by DryftKult; 31st July 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Total win!

Congrats on the fix! Better than offloading it for next to nothing
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Fellow Frogger

The rivet issue is where two parts of one of the selector shafts part company. It requires the gearbox to be dismantled to fix it.

yep that's right, however thats only something they "think" might have caused the issue, however they say after a test drive the car appears to be driving as per normal, so they are putting their bets on the actuator having gotten lost due to a software glitch (they whipped it off, had a fiddle, chucked it back on and it works apparently).

going to be investing in some racq roadside assist soon, don't want to be caught out by this again.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information