205 GTI Series 1
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 205 GTI Series 1

Hi all

Advertisement

I have finally gotten around to starting work on my 1987 Series 1 205 GTI.
    I bought it last year from a fellow Frogger and have been clearing space for it and trying to stockpile bits and pieces as well.
    Currently the interior is out of it in preparation for new seat mounts for some Monza buckets.
    I also want to install a rail behind the rear seats to bolt race harnesses for when (if) I take it on any club events.
    Once that's done its back in with the interior and heat/soundproofing. I also have a Momo steering wheel to go in too.
    I have a new cam belt, tensioner and water pump to go in as well as a general engine service.
    The previous owner decommissioned the air conditioning but I m planning on reinstating it as the car will see more road than track usage and I have the family to consider (if I know what's good for me!).
    Anyway, here are a few photos of it as it stands.
    Once I get cracking on the interior etc I'll post some more photos.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far with advice, with buying bits off me to feed the coffers and clear space and those who have supplied much needed bits and pieces.

Cheers

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Series 1-032.jpg   205 GTI Series 1-039.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Default Progress report No. 1

Hi all

I took the day off today to start work on the seat mounts.
    First job was to remove the internal crossmember that the standard seats bolt to.
    As you an see from the before and after photos below, I have passed the point of no return and am now fully committed to building new front and rear seat mounts for the Monza race seats.
    If you look closely at the after photo below you will see that my handiwork resulted in some rather unsightly holes in the floor which will need to be repaired once the new seat rails are installed. I swear it could not be avoided!!
    The crossmember that has been removed will be replaced with box section tubing attached to the floor to lower the seat in the car. The stock outer rear mount will be retained with Subaru Impreza mounts added to the side of the tunnel.
    The idea is to lower the mounts to allow a little more headroom. Not to mention lower the not insignificant centre of gravity of the middle aged, increasingly rotund driver!

Hopefully I will have another update and photos in the next week or two which should have the seats installed.

Cheers

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Series 1-007.jpg   205 GTI Series 1-009.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Default nice body

hi Jeremy
    these are neat photos to see the shell while the seats and trim are out. you've done well by the looks of it thus far.
    i'd be wondering if it will still pass a roady after alteration?
    welds may need an xray to prove their integrity or a trade ticket?
    i'm not a mechanic myself just a mate is and he reckons to do a roadworthy now they send in photos to the RTA before and after pics of any repairs required to the car being tested.
    has anyone tried your plan and passed or failed a roady test?
    you probably know an engineer's certificate would cost a mint.
    cheers to your efforts and hope it all goes to plan.

Fellow Frogger!

Now you've got me worried!!!
    But seriously, I'm doing the grunt work and a mate of mine who dos these things for a living is helping and doing all the hard, technical and no doubt expensive bits.
    Thanks for the kind words and the warning.
    I hope we will be alright on the day.
    I'll let you know how we get on.

Cheers

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by tigr3 View Post
    hi Jeremy
    these are neat photos to see the shell while the seats and trim are out. you've done well by the looks of it thus far.
    i'd be wondering if it will still pass a roady after alteration?
    welds may need an xray to prove their integrity or a trade ticket?
    i'm not a mechanic myself just a mate is and he reckons to do a roadworthy now they send in photos to the RTA before and after pics of any repairs required to the car being tested.
    has anyone tried your plan and passed or failed a roady test?
    you probably know an engineer's certificate would cost a mint.
    cheers to your efforts and hope it all goes to plan.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Progress update

So I have finally got the 205 back to my place after spending some time in the shop. Here's an update and I will try to add some photos shortly.
    Fitting sports seats is a much bigger job than I thought it was going to be.
    Due to my height I tried to lower the seat mounts but the centre tunnel restricted how low I could get the seats. This resulted in going back to 205 seats on standard bases!
    Itís not all bad though as we welded in some strengthening under the standard front mounting rail. Where before you could bend it with your hand, it is now as solid as a rock (well more solid than before at least!)
    I picked up some Si seats which are in great condition and will be recovered in the longer term along with the back seats.
    I made up a harness bar which bolts into the rear upper seat belt mounts on the C pillars. It is powder coated and looks good and is removable for day to day driving. Harness eyelets are still to be fitted to the floor for the side belts but this is next on the list of things to do.
    While the 205 was in the shop we did the cam belt, water pump and tensioner as well as new upper strut bushes. The timing was out massively which has now been rectified and it is running extremely well. I got to drive it home last week which was also my first road drive in the car and it ran great. The interior now needs to go back in and then it is off to be scrutineered for club registration.
    Hopefully I can have it done and registered by the end of July. Watch this space!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Series 1-img_0128.jpg   205 GTI Series 1-img_0122.jpg  
    Last edited by Jezwillow; 18th June 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Photos added

Fellow Frogger!

Good work Jez, my 205 just got through the scrutineering so it will be on the road July 2. Sorry to hear about the seats giving you grief, I can only just fit in my seat, which is standard height, with a helmet on.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...ti6-build.html

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by michael_ozzie View Post
    Good work Jez, my 205 just got through the scrutineering so it will be on the road July 2. Sorry to hear about the seats giving you grief, I can only just fit in my seat, which is standard height, with a helmet on.
    Thanks Michael

Good luck with the rego. Let me know if you have any dramas.
    Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about how I will go with a helmet on, what with the height and the enormous melon! Guess I'll have to lay the seat back, Chapel Street style!!!

Cheers

Jez

VIP Sponsor

Did you compete on Sunday?
    My car seized its rear suspension an the way back from Swan Hill, the bronze bushes don't seem to be all that good an idea.
    I got two bearing kits from EAI for $94 all up, just need another good shaft now.
    Graham

Fellow Frogger!

Yes I competed on Saturday night for our club event, came first in class, was second behind a 405, until it had gearbox issues and had to retire. Sorry to hear about your bearing issues, I had just replaced my bearings and shafts in my rear end, so will give it a once over just to make sure it all stayed tight after the weekend. Good luck getting a good shaft!
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

VIP Sponsor

Yes I competed on Saturday night for our club event, came first in class, was second behind a 405, until it had gearbox issues and had to retire. Sorry to hear about your bearing issues, I had just replaced my bearings and shafts in my rear end, so will give it a once over just to make sure it all stayed tight after the weekend. Good luck getting a good shaft!
    So, better than the Laser?

[QUOTE=michael_ozzie;1072802]Yes I competed on Saturday night for our club event, came first in class, was second behind a 405, until it had gearbox issues and had to retire. [QUOTE

Pretty decent gearbox issue too.

It broke the gearbox housing. So the gearbox isn't attatched to the car! And it's all moved faward into the radiator! and I helped him get it ready on friday night
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

VIP Sponsor

[QUOTE=cav91;1072806]
    Yes I competed on Saturday night for our club event, came first in class, was second behind a 405, until it had gearbox issues and had to retire. [QUOTE

Pretty decent gearbox issue too.

It broke the gearbox housing. So the gearbox isn't attatched to the car! And it's all moved faward into the radiator! and I helped him get it ready on friday night
    Probably exploded diff, pretty common.
    I think I have an Mi16 radiator spare.

nah not the diff the top mount broke off.
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    nah not the diff the top mount broke off.
    I thought that only happened in accidents.

yeah so did we! Where gunna try weld it back up. He's says he got to close to a cone with a tyre. And has no idea how it actually broke.
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Fellow Frogger!

Thought you might know a bit about it Cav, as Callum was looking pretty quick before it broke, was beating me by a second a lap.
    And Graham, the Laser was not there, but one car that I did beat at Swan Hill, beat me at Kyneton. I think sorting out the rear brakes properly, and some decent tyres should see that sorted out, but certainly much quicker and responsive than the Pintara.

Sorry Jez for hyjacking your thread.
    Michael

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI
    Build Thread:

Fellow Frogger!

Thought you might know a bit about it Cav, as Callum was looking pretty quick before it broke, was beating me by a second a lap.
    And Graham, the Laser was not there, but one car that I did beat at Swan Hill, beat me at Kyneton. I think sorting out the rear brakes properly, and some decent tyres should see that sorted out, but certainly much quicker and responsive than the Pintara.

Sorry Jez for hyjacking your thread.
    No worries Michael, thanks for acknowledging it!
    All is forgiven
    All the best mate.

Jez

Fellow Frogger!

Default (Slow) Progress report

I've been beavering away in the car park under our building following a move from a house with a double car garage so progress has been slow.
    Its a bit of a pain in the butt having to drag everything out each night before you can start work but needs must!
    Anyway, I've got the insulation finished. I installed EZ Cool insulation under the headlining, carpet and behind the door trims and rear side trim panels. Time and experience will tell as to how effective it is but it was pretty cheap and desperately light so no harm done.
    I've reinstalled the headlining which is pretty tricky when you have drying trim adhesive and when you're by yourself I can tell you! I've installed the harness eyelets in the floor for those rare times I get to do any racing. I've cleaned the carpet and laid that in and now I'm in the process of reinstalling the plastics being desperately careful not to break anything.
    With any luck I'm only a week or two out from getting it scrutineered and historic Rego done.

I can't wait to get it out on the road!!

Jez

Having trouble loading photos so will do it in batches. Sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Series 1-004.jpg   205 GTI Series 1-016.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

Default Some more photos

Some photos of the interior
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI Series 1-001.jpg   205 GTI Series 1-017.jpg  

Is that sound insulating Jez or just a little something between the floor and the carpet?

The underlay in mine is super ratty, this looks to be a promising alternative.

Looking good thus far! Ill keep watch.

Did you part with the white GTi shell?

Julz

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug-life View Post
    Is that sound insulating Jez or just a little something between the floor and the carpet?

The underlay in mine is super ratty, this looks to be a promising alternative.

Looking good thus far! Ill keep watch.

Did you part with the white GTi shell?

Julz
    Hey Julz,

It's thermal unsulation. Its called EZ Cool from the US. I can't vouch for it yet as I haven't used the car but from the testimonials on their website and feedback on other forums it supposedly works.
    It was only about $100 delivered and weighs about the same as bubble wrap so no major drama if it isn't miraculous. I had enough for two layers on the roof, and a layer behind the door cards, the rear trims, the floor etc.

Yes I did part with the white shell but it was a complete nightmare. I need to be careful as I don't know whether the fine chap who bought it frequents this website but suffice it to say he talked a good story but had very little behind it. Someone on here bought a damaged white 205 off the bloke so I don't want to say much more but will tell you personally next time a see you. Makes for a good story!

I'll have some more photos up soon as the carpet is down and the front seats are in.
    I just need a few more screws and trim clips and bits like that and I'm on the road.

Cheers mate

Jez

The EZ cool works well in my book, its the go. The original stuff is shocking. Good job there Jez.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    The EZ cool works well in my book, its the go. The original stuff is shocking. Good job there Jez.
    Thanks mate.
    I spent last night making a new boot mat and lined the under side with of it with EZ Cool.
    I tell you what Isis, I sure hope it works coz there's a shite load of the stuff in this car now!
    Lucky it only weighs about the same as a box of rice bubbles.

Cheers

Jez

any excuse to get rid of the old stuff is enough I reckon. Put two layers of it anywhere you can I say. As you mention, the weight is irrelevant.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Thread Information