Dauphine Gordini Restoration
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dauphine Gordini Restoration

I have just recently bought the dauphine gordini off ebay. In the pics the car looked great. Straight body, no probs with it at all. besides the lack of paint, truth be told the car was even better than in the photos.

This past weekend We started on the restoration of the dauphine. it is getting the treat of a full body restoration. there has already been work done on it. the doors have all been repaired and some other work has been done it runs full r10 running gear up front and it has a r10 gearbox and suspension set up. It will more then likely run a 1.4 out of a virage that Peter (PeterJKent) recently got with a purchase. there are A Few other upgrades we have talked about including full hight buckets and the possibility of an instrument cluster where the ashtray should be.

the car should ultimately look to be stock from a distance but when you look over it closely there are a few things different and will go like a rocket to scare the bogans at the traffic lights

in the way of rust there is pretty much none at all photos 1 and 2 are the only spots of rust and the rest of the photos are just other shots that i took

keep you all posted till i go down to work on it again next weekend

Kind regards
    Ryan

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012274-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012299-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012276-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012279-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012287-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012303-custom-.jpg  

Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012317-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012319-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012273-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012302-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012278-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012275-custom-.jpg  

Dauphine Gordini Restoration-03032012284-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012312-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-05032012313-custom-.jpg  
    Last edited by renogade; 10th March 2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling police
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

61 Dauphine Gordini r10 running gear - restoration

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... thatís what gets you"

Default now this is how you park a car

This weekend saw the gordini rolled on to its side to have a better look underneath. and to strip back further and also compare the differance between an r10 so see what needs to be further changed because it is running full r10 gear. not much else got done as other things had higher priority.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dauphine Gordini Restoration-10032012321-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-10032012322-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-10032012324-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-10032012325-custom-.jpg   Dauphine Gordini Restoration-10032012327-custom-.jpg  
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... thatís what gets you"

hi Ryan,
    I was watching that on ebay, not that I need another rusty Renault. under the rough looking appearance, it doesn't look all that bad underneath. Hope it all goes well for you.
    by the way, I love the ute in the shed. park an old Subaru out the front and you'd have the trifecta in my book. :-)
    Matt
    1091 Dauphine Gordini (basket case)
    1090 Dauphine (future resto project)
    750 Racer (current project)

why is it my 3 year old gets more enjoyment out of my cars in the garage, than I do on the road.....

Looks good Ryan. I still haven't managed to make it down your way to have a look at it, the pics look promising though Maybe once you have it running I will have to bring a car trailer down for a sneak visit ;p

Fellow Frogger!

i'm old school you should keep it original or in a sense you are about to do the unthinkable as if the Dauphine is a vagrant fj holden that needs a red motor to do hick burn-outs. imho
    no offence haha just a plea for authenticity
    an original Dauphine is respectably agile.

G'day
    im going to keep it as original on the outside but it is quite hard to keep it original as the frount end has already been changed to r10 and it is apparently pretty much impossible to change back and being a poor 21 year old with a part time job it is way to expensive to buy all the parts that didnt come with it.
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw View Post
    hi Ryan,
    I love the ute in the shed. park an old Subaru out the front and you'd have the trifecta in my book. :-)
    Matt
    the only thing that is parked out the frount of the shed is an r10 parts car on its side there are also about 9 other renault round the back of the sheds and in another shed and an old landy.
    the ute is peters (father in law) who has kindly allowed me to use his shed, it is XY fairmont which was originaly a panal van
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bloody subaru not likely !

Mat wash your mouth out PTTOOEE' My XY would crash through the wall and stomp it to death
    We've discovered another Dauphine close by that had the R10 conversion done about 15 years ago so we have a car to look at when we get stuck, I'm also hopeing to pick steve cavinahs brains on what to look out for .
    Cheers Peter.

he he he.... Yeah funny mix, but that's what I've grown up with. Old School Fords, Subies and Renaults. Still mixed up in all three.
    All the best with it.
    1091 Dauphine Gordini (basket case)
    1090 Dauphine (future resto project)
    750 Racer (current project)

why is it my 3 year old gets more enjoyment out of my cars in the garage, than I do on the road.....

Default my newest buy

im as chuffed as anything as i found this beauty on ebay tonight and just had to have it.
    it is new old stock

and i know how rare these little buggers are so i bought him. its going to look lovely

Kind Regards
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by renogade View Post
    im as chuffed as anything as i found this beauty on ebay tonight and just had to have it.
    it is new old stock

and i know how rare these little buggers are so i bought him. its going to look lovely

Well done!!! Ebay France??
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I'm sure I've seen them new and still available, but don't ask me from who. They are the same as the floride and it may of been via a flo/car club in france.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

the only thing that is parked out the frount of the shed is an r10 parts car on its side there are also about 9 other renault round the back of the sheds and in another shed and an old landy.
    the ute is peters (father in law) who has kindly allowed me to use his shed, it is XY fairmont which was originaly a panal van
    Do you have a front crossmember for Geckoeng?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

This weekend saw the gordini rolled on to its side to have a better look underneath. and to strip back further and also compare the differance between an r10 so see what needs to be further changed because it is running full r10 gear. not much else got done as other things had higher priority.
    Looks pretty fair condition underneath. Did it try to escape sideways in fright from the big blue animal?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

Yes John i have a crossmember for Ray and no it didn't try to escape henry ( my XY ) just blew on it with his exhaust.
    Cheers Peter.

Fellow Frogger!

it is new old stock

Looks very like the one I sold to an AFer for postage only as "he neededit", even the masking tape on the box is in the same place. Nope you did not pay too much. Bastard.

G'day all,
    its been a while since posting last there has been slow on the dauphine it is now compleatly striped out and have been cleaning the crap off from underneath it has been very slow process as i live 2 and a half hours away. hopfully soon ill be able to spent a full week soon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-26-035.jpg 
Views:	1844 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	33680

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-08-26-034.jpg 
Views:	2569 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	33681
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

Hi Ryan,
    Can you give some description on how you cleaned up the underbody. I'm about to do the same and some guidance would be great.

Cheers...Paul
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

G'day Paul,

it has been very slow process. some of the stuff has just been taken off with a wirewheel on a grinder and the rest has been a paint scraper and small blade.

the thicker bituman based stuff in the wheel arches is the hardest at the wirewheel just heats it and it turns into a mess so its a slow process with the scraper. the bituman that hasnt removed with the scraper and a blade gets rubbed off with turps.

it has been painted with just some rust prime from supercheap untill it is all done and i work out what to paint the underside with. If anyone has any sugestion on what to paint it with it would be much apreciated.

hope this helps
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

Ryan,

Heat the goo with a hot air gun and scrape off as much as possible.

Then get into the remaining bitumen goo with Sceney's Citrus Solvent.

This will thin it out, apply with a paint brush and use several applications. Once it's softens the majority can be removed with a scrubbing brush and old rags.

Art suppliers normally stock the solvent.

http://www.sceneys.com.au/default/solvents

The remainder comes off with a rag soaked in the same solvent.

It's very messy, but faster and better and less smoke than a wire wheel.

You will end up with clean bare metal.

cheers

Rob
    Last edited by robmac; 30th August 2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Added a bit more..

Thanks Ryan.
    Sounds like I'm in for some fun....
    There is a law against doing more than 100kmh...there's no law on how fast you get to 100kmh!!!

G'day rob,
    when I first started i Was using the hot air gun and it was alot slower process and more messy then scraping it off with the sharpened paint scraper a patch that took an hour with the heat gun takes 15 mins just scraping and there was less stuff left after only using the scraper but the heat gun is handy where u cant get to with the scraper or blade and thanks for the link to that stuff ill have to have a look at some.

G4ME,
    it wont take to long it has taken me so long as i can only work on it on the weekends and as it is 3hrs away its quite hard to get more then a days work on it a week or even a fortnight. i think if i would have been able to spend a full week cleaning it it would be clean by now.
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

Thread Information