Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2
  • Register
  • Help

Default Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2

Well I had always wanted a CX turbo. Loved the CX to drive but it never had enough go really. So this one came up about 2 years ago and I purchased it and over the last two years I have done a little bit of work and I am still trying to do some work on it.

So this is how it originally looked when I purchased it. The car did not have perfect paintwork and there were a few problems with it as I found out.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-cx-front-1.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-cx-rear-3.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-cx-side-view-4.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-cx-interior-2.jpg  

Default The moment of truth

Well I got it home and found that with a slipping clutch it was almost un-drivable. So a bit of work to have a look around it and find out what I had. It in fact looked fairly tidy but on closer inspection there was a bit of damage to it. With the knowledge the engine had to come out to fix the clutch the decision was made to fix it up so a bit of disassembly started.

What did I find. Well one of the bumper bars was held on by a wood screw to a wooden block, left rear quarter panel dented, paint coming off bonnet and roof, split bumper bars front and back, the car was full of grass seed (this ended up being the problem with the clutch BTW), some rust in the front headlight area, rust on the front passenger floor, rust in the boot, small amount of rust in the sills and a few other minor things really.

Looking back on in sometimes I just wish I had pulled the motor out and put it back in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-bonnett.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-boot_rust_1.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-boot_rust_2.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-bumper_wood.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-dscn1348.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-dscn1382.jpg  

Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2515.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2531.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2542.jpg  

Default So what did I do.

Well I did this:-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2633.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2635.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2654.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2634.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2640.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2659.jpg  

And then some kind people did this for some dollars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2669.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2670.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2777.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2778.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2846.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2882.jpg  

Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2881.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2849.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2855.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2891.jpg  

And then they did this for some more dollars and brought it home for me so it could sit in the car port.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2897.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2926.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2916.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2928.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2930.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2919.jpg  

Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2917.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2921.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_3001.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_3003.jpg  

Default Rear AC

And so it has sat for a long long time until I was told that it had to be finished or I would be finished. so work to put it back together has commenced. I have started with the rear of the the car and I am moving forward.

So we have begun by fitting a rear AC unit into the car. The brand is AutoClima and it was sourced from an old CX in Queensland (Thanks Rob). To go with this I wanted a car that had better AC performance than the old CX so that required some insulation also being put in the car. This was placed in the passenger cell, two layers thick and glued onto the rear seat area to start with.

To also add some strength and to help block out the noise in the back from the AC unit I lined the under side of the parcel shelf with Dynamat Xtreme. The solid nature of the back parcel shelf is now quite evident.

I have then cut out the spots for the vents in the rear. The AC unit has 4 vents. The one on the left hand side is used as a return whilst the next three across the back parcel shelf blow into the car area. I also glued some high density foam around the vents to help prevent any air leakage. Bolts etc put in to fix all the AC fittings and then the carpet over the parcel shelf.

The box is in but the wiring etc has not been finished as yet and will probably be one of the later things I will do. Still a few things to do but I can now move on a bit.

While I was there I also put in some rear speakers. To do this I found a mounting block and then a black case to lift them a bit more. Due to the AC unable to put them in the parcel shelf. Anyway I think they really suite the age of the car.

Here are some photos I put up in another thread as well as the attachments below.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_3008.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_3010.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_0003.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_0002.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_0004.jpg  
    Last edited by laurie_lewis; 2nd March 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Very nice... I like it... Colour is superb and workmanship is top notch... looking forwards to seeing car progress further towards completion... Good luck... a massive undertaking deserving just as much respect.

dino

Default Interior Bits

So today has been a rainy day so not much I felt like doing out in the car port so I started doing some work on my interior trim. I had done some work previously so a bit of background

Basically the trim had had it on the roof etc, so it had to come off. Here there was some good news and some bad news. Good news was that some of the plastic trim bits were in one piece bad news is that most weren't and the hood lining came up really badly. I have to admit it is probably from my haste.

One day I will learn to be patient.

The hood was too furry so I had to try and get the surface a bit better. To do this I made up a mixture of PVA glue and water and basically painted it on so as to reset the surface. You will see in the photos the difference with the surface. It set it faily well but not totally level and smooth. I then made up a mixture of toilet paper/water/PVA and used it to fill any low points and again sealed it with a PVA mixture.

This was left for a fair while and then I got the sander out and went over the top to just smooth it out as much as I could I started with a 120 grit sandpaper as I was frightened of ripping it apart but soon went to a 60 grade and thought I could have gone more. The board is now ready to put on some new cloth.

I also had to join the broken pieces of plastic trim with a product I can't remember the name of now but will put up in my next post. The reason for that is I broke a piece today not watching what I was doing so I have to do some more repairs before I can cover them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2906.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2907.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2908.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2914.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2924.jpg   Laurie's CX Series 2 Turbo 2-img_2925.jpg  

Thread Information