504 rebirth
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 504 rebirth

Default 504 rebirth

Hey all this is my new baby, a 76 LTi, it has had a good life and the previous owner has looked after it well and he was devastated when he let me drive it away from him, Sorry Terv
    i plan to revive all thats wrong with it, like interior mainly, it has copped a beating i must admit.
    and fix a few other little things, like tiny rust spots and some things on the engine, it drove beautifully on the first drive i had and hope for it to drive just as nice and better after i have revived it, but dont really plan to change to much as i like all thats there.

broadband friendly

the interior, while classically touched, not my style

engine bays needs a freshen up, maybe a turbo hahah just kidding
    more photos to come camera just died, ahhaha

Advertisement
    Last edited by leftcoast; 21st January 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by leftcoast View Post
    Hey all this is my new baby, a 76 LTi, it has had a good life and the previous owner has looked after it well and he was devastated when he let me drive it away from him, Sorry Terv
    i plan to revive all thats wrong with it, like interior mainly, it has copped a beating i must admit.
    and fix a few other little things, like tiny rust spots and some things on the engine, it drove beautifully on the first drive i had and hope for it to drive just as nice and better after i have revived it, but dont really plan to change to much as i like all thats there.

broadband friendly

the interior, while classically touched, not my style

engine bays needs a freshen up, maybe a turbo hahah just kidding
    more photos to come camera just died, ahhaha

The LTI is wonderful motor car just as it left the factory.

My is to restore the car to original, with the exception of electronic ignition and possibly some shocker upgrades.

Good examples are getting thin on the ground and with a genuine 100HP at the flywheel they well and truly keep up with the traffic.

An interior based on 505 GTI seats and some sensible re-trimming would help no end and if done tastefully would not harm the car too much..

Congratulations on your purchase.

is there anyway to tell if its an original LTi, because it has front door trims with the window winder holes in them, could just be replace trims tho, and am i wrong to assume they also came out with Air con?, a few things are not original like the rear right door different colour inside, somebody has resprayed it at some time but just an external paint job and is starting to show its age, peeling rust,and a bit of overspray everywhere, so will be a possible respray in line. i sure the engine has been changed to. im scared to take off the door sill strips i have a feeling there will be rust city underneath, so its more i guess an original LTi-ish

will be a slow process but i have heaps of time

any ideas what i can do to give the engine more poke, thinking better cold air induction to start and has anybody put aftermarket fuel injection on to replace the mechanical set up before??, not sure if i want to change because it works fine, just curious to see the difference on this engine

pulled out the interior and only found $1.09. damn worst car yet, hahaha. there was a suspicious white substance under the rear seat, instantly thought "that must be at least $500 worth", but wasn't game to try any, its either coke or anthrax, i lent toward anthrax.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

is there anyway to tell if its an original LTi, because it has front door trims with the window winder holes in them, could just be replace trims tho, and am i wrong to assume they also came out with Air con?, a few things are not original like the rear right door different colour inside, somebody has resprayed it at some time but just an external paint job and is starting to show its age, peeling rust,and a bit of overspray everywhere, so will be a possible respray in line. i sure the engine has been changed to. im scared to take off the door sill strips i have a feeling there will be rust city underneath, so its more i guess an original LTi-ish

will be a slow process but i have heaps of time

any ideas what i can do to give the engine more poke, thinking better cold air induction to start and has anybody put aftermarket fuel injection on to replace the mechanical set up before??, not sure if i want to change because it works fine, just curious to see the difference on this engine

pulled out the interior and only found $1.09. damn worst car yet, hahaha. there was a suspicious white substance under the rear seat, instantly thought "that must be at least $500 worth", but wasn't game to try any, its either coke or anthrax, i lent toward anthrax.
    take a pic of the ID plate for me

also they had air con, tinted windows, metallic paint, sunroof, auto and yes the trims had plugs where the winders went as they had power front windows

of course all these things were options on TI's but the LTI had these as standard

there should also be an LTI badge on the rear
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

It could be a "made up" car from various sources.

The throttle quadrant does not seem to have the kick down cable for automatic trans?
    From memory the LTI (FI auto) had a double quadrant for throttle and kick down.

Whether it's original or made up from various cars doesn't matter that much provided it been done well.

"and yes the trims had plugs where the winders went" - haha classy

im going to retrim most of it so i might cover these holes up unless i can find some cool peugeot plug/covers for them.

"the throttle quadrant does not seem to have the kick down cable for automatic trans?
    From memory the LTI (FI auto) had a double quadrant for throttle and kick down."
    (is this what you are talking about? - top rightish corner)

that's a genuine LTI
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

you sure it's not the original engine ??

the engine number will match the chassis number so you need to go looking for that

if it is the original engine a pic of the top on the big 'log' will be good as well
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

This is awesome. We shall have to go for a drive once I get my licence!

Unfortunately, we might be fighting for some of the same parts! Let me know if ever buy in something new, we might be able to share some postage.

Leftcoast,
    Be prepared for the knock on your door as "Terv" comes to reclaim his $1.90 !

don't know if you have looked yet but you already have a cold air intake
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

Default good on you

You managed to buy one of the last of the true classic TI 504s left in AUS.

ok so i think im ment to have air con, but i dont, im confused the dash looks like a standard 504 dash with no air con feature, where does the air con set up go on a 504?, i have seen some under the glove box but i had allways thought that these were aftermarket ones, there is also no compressor or any signs of air con in the engine bay,

this may be because i have also found out its not the original engine as the numbers dont match, so the original fetures must of been scrapped

guess now i dont feel to bad about modifying the engine it a little if i have to.

is it worth chasing all the bits for the aircon set up? seems daunting in my opinion and imagine the set ups arnt cheap anymore these days, has anybody installed aircon from scratch?? any issues?

You have yet to hit the motherlode. You will find your fortune when you remove the heater.
    Those slot-like vents in the middle of the dash were just too much of a temptation for children with loose change in their pockets.

Paul

A straight is merely the distance between two corners.

Current: Peugeot 205 GTi Mi16 1987
    Peugeot 205 Si, one red one silver, both 1991.
    Peugeot 504 Wagon, V6 and 5 speed gearbox.
    Isuzu (Holden) Rodeo, 4WD dual cab, extended chassis.
    Past: Goliath, Isuzu Bellett, Austin A30, Peugeot 203, 403, 404, 504,505.
    Subaru 4WD wagon, Toyota Hilux Dual Cab Diesel 4WD.

VIP Sponsor

ok so i think im ment to have air con, but i dont, im confused the dash looks like a standard 504 dash with no air con feature, where does the air con set up go on a 504?, i have seen some under the glove box but i had allways thought that these were aftermarket ones, there is also no compressor or any signs of air con in the engine bay,

this may be because i have also found out its not the original engine as the numbers dont match, so the original fetures must of been scrapped

guess now i dont feel to bad about modifying the engine it a little if i have to.

is it worth chasing all the bits for the aircon set up? seems daunting in my opinion and imagine the set ups arnt cheap anymore these days, has anybody installed aircon from scratch?? any issues?
    All 504 air conditioners were aftermarket, no factory set up.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    All 504 air conditioners were aftermarket, no factory set up.
    Graham
    I would definitely fit a 505 aluminium sump with the aircon compressor mounts cast into it.

An alternator upgrade is highly recommended if you intend to do a lot of city driving.

I've never seen a really good aftermarket compressor mount and drive kit for a TI.

Some quite nice semi integrated after market evaporators kits were produced because of the amount of plumbing these are never really that effective.

I've also seen the centre console trimmed to fit a compact under dash unit. This install worked treat. Air off the coil straight into your face. But the radio had to mounted in the lower section.

You will need a bigger radiator as well. VN commodore radiators will fit with some adjustments to hoses and the installation of a temperature switch for the fan.

Fit the biggest condenser that space allows and fit an electric fan to it.

so i took my baby for a brief spin and a few happy snaps,
    but i found the rear callipers to be sticking really bad, and had crawl home straight away to rebuild them withouta doubt, which made me miss the brookton motor show.....took weeks to get the parts in but its all good now except the restoration bug hit me when i was under the car, ooohh NOO i was waiting for it
    and to think i was saving for a house! hahaha

anyways ive allready started and im going down the road of rust repair/respray, full interior resto, minor engine rebuild, brake rebuild, new exhaust, and all the other things you may not want to know about, stay tuned.

oh any body a automotive painter? if so what is the ideal temp the metal body should be when applying paint? any idears
    Last edited by leftcoast; 27th June 2012 at 12:56 AM.

Guess what? I have the original T handle that cam with LTI's to wind up the front window if the motor failed!!!!! I fit A/C under the parcel shelf in the boot and blow it forward. Old thinking that was good enough for Rolls in the 1970's. Keeps the dash and interior std.

There is one "made up" LTi in Melbourne - I know because I made it.

A rusty Lti donated everything LTi bar the sunroof to a good GL with a stuffed motor I rescued from Pickapart.

Was my first respray. Sold it to a lass who had it bought for her as an 18th present - I made a bit of money on the whole caper, but didnt allow for the hours on the OCD (and pretty decent I think) respray. That was at least 11 years ago - wonder if its still going....

here is the latest stage im up to, its taking awhile with work and all but i have some time coming up i am sure to get a large chunk out of the way

the sills are not to bad, i was a bit worried when i pulled off the aluminium strips, but turned out ok, phew

busy sanding the top coat off and killing all the small rust spots, plan to smooth out all the little defects that are noticeable

doing the same all over the body not mush rust has been found, only really bad around the sunroof which is my next task,

i forgot what a huge task it is to actually sand back an entire car, what was i thinking, i can see why they in vented sand blasters!!!

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Good work. How much experience have you had with this sort of thing?
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

done a few ground up rebuilds, and would love to do a ground up build to this car and put it on the spit but im after a daily and im trying to save for a house so the cost involved doing it all is to high at the moment,

and if i decide to do it later all ill need to do is the under carriage, plus all my hoists, welders, tools, garage!! and who ha is back in canberra, so just doing the basics to keep this ride nice and simple, and to get rid of the issues, (the limits this rental house will let me work on a car) and back on the road is the goal for now,

is it a stupid idea to go this far and not do it ground up, YES, but this car has allready been a little bit hacked at so the original value will never be the same in my eyes, and who know in 5 years when im settled i may just do the ground up resto.

oh and while im ranting, shit yes i should of done a ground up resto and just paid someone to do it for me, cause hand sanding a shell is hell!!! hahahahaha and i have a 3 month dead line because of my next rental inspection,

what have i started, haha better get back to it

damn rentals!

a new water pump off ebay UK, quality is crapy no where as good as the one i took off, water guide is wider but shallower, wondering if this will effect the overall flow and then normal operating temperature,, ???? cant even bore it out because there is no "meat" on it, starting to think if i should even put it on...

Leftcoast,
    The pumps look compatible to me. How is the welch plug in the head? The one directly behind the pump.
    Coat the studs with graphite grease.
    Tidy up that small hose idea, looks very "Terv" to me. Tap it out and fit a plug to it, most professional.

the welsh plug is welded in on the head, i hear thats the best solution for these, well it is until it rusts through haha, but then thinking the welding heat couldn't be good for the head its self, eeep

do you know what this hose is meant to be for? ill try to tap and plug it but also scared as it seems so fragile, will give it a shot tomorrow at work and see how it goes.

Small spout on pump is, I believe, for the carb warm up system hose.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information