Nickel plating from home...
  • Register
  • Help

Default Nickel plating from home...

I bought this kit ages ago and still using it, the chemicals last for ages and cost about $50 (I think)

From my experience there are two important things to remember...

1. Prepare your components well and be clean, very clean. Sand off rust, use solvents if necessary to remove grease and finish off with a good wipe over with wax'n'grease remover...then wipe em again with a fresh rag. (then they go in the acid bath supplied in the kit)

2. Follow the instructions in the kit to get the current right or you will get poor results.The battery I am using has been buggered for years and couldn't light a torch globe but is perfect for electro plating.

One more thing...you can get a highly polished finish if you want but the polishing will need to be done prior to plating.

Have fun
    Cheers

Some suspension components deserve some rust protection from my home nickel plating gizmo.

Attached ThumbnailsRenault Floride body rebuild.-img_3175.jpg Renault Floride body rebuild.-img_3174.jpg Renault Floride body rebuild.-img_3184.jpg Renault Floride body rebuild.-img_3190.jpg Renault Floride body rebuild.-img_3188.jpg

P.S. If you can't read the website it's WWW.por15.com.au

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nickel plating from home...-img_3312.jpg   Nickel plating from home...-img_3165.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 1st January 2012 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks for that.
    I am thinking of doing the same myself and was wondering how?????
    Was that an immersion heater in the bucket...what temp????

Electroplating today.....Meth lab tomorrow...
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Yep that was a fish tank heater set at 35 degrees C. as recommended by the manufacturer of the kit.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Fantastic, now too do some testing ..... How well does that coating last? Does it scratch off easily if you put a spanner on the nuts.. etc

I know plating isn't quite so shiny, but to put it into perspective, I had about 25kg of fasteners and parts plated for $80.00 by the local barrel plater. they do all the cleaning and prep with there toxic chemicals.

Is this the best project car you have ever seen?

I think these were first nicel plated, then the colour added ontop of the plating:

Is this the best project car you have ever seen?

this is the nickel plating underneath the colour, It's incredibly tough the finish (after all it was bounced around in a barrel while it was being plated.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Default Electroplating

I am about to electroplate (Zinc) my brake calipers, howevere after thoroughly researching the electro-process, I have been warned to be carful with some metals including high tensile stuff as Hydrogen imbrittlement can weaken the parts and they just crumble like clay! I believe when using the gold bright in the solution this may aslo effect parts.

Maybe worth invetsigating before plating some materials.

The kit I am using is Janekit from Newcastle

Hope this info is useful!

Cheers

UFO

[QUOTE=DoubleChevron;1020615

I know plating isn't quite so shiny, but to put it into perspective, I had about 25kg of fasteners and parts plated for $80.00
    seeya,
    Shane L.[/QUOTE]

And now he can't remember where half of them belong!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I used to do nickel plating with my kids at school. The trick, other than preparation and cleanliness, is to match the current to the surface area. I had a large battery charger with a 240V light dimmer on the input side. This enables you to vary the current in fine amounts, monitoring with an ammeter. I eventually stopped doing it as the apparatus I built to house it all rusted away The corrosive nature of the chemicals involved should not be under estimated!

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    And now he can't remember where half of them belong!
    I'll have you know I've spent probably 1/2hour over the last week assembling that car .................. and 40 god damn hours searching for stuff..... First the seal plate for the throttle linkage that pasts through the firewall (actually I still haven't found that), then I spent hours and hours looking through all the plated stuff looking for the pivot the accellorator spindal runs on (that bolts to the firewall). I finally found that yesterday.... Bugger it all, it was never plated, I'd put it aside to be painted,. Of course the special bolt that passes through it I carried around with me for ages while I was searching I managed to put down somewhere ... AAARRRRhhhhh..... I'm sure it'll turn up someday Then i thought I'd do the front calipers .... My "machinary cleanary" brash has now dissapeared..... I've spend bloody hours looking for it ... I simply can't understand where it's gone. But I need it to clean up the 'O' ring recesses in the power block before I can re-assemble the brakes.

Just call me the "raving, ranting, cursing searcher".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Shane, I would say the plating is quite secure and doesn't scratch off but I reckon the cleaning process is the key, you couldn't expect the metal to fuse if it had to find it's way through any crud.

Icon10

"Can I borrow your rustproofing gear please?"

"Sorry, but no...
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    the apparatus I built to house it all rusted away

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bootou View Post
    I am about to electroplate (Zinc) my brake calipers, howevere after thoroughly researching the electro-process, I have been warned to be carful with some metals including high tensile stuff as Hydrogen imbrittlement can weaken the parts and they just crumble like clay! I believe when using the gold bright in the solution this may aslo effect parts.

Maybe worth invetsigating before plating some materials.

The kit I am using is Janekit from Newcastle

Hope this info is useful!

Cheers
    That is very true. All the high tensile stuff I had electroplated cracked. Fortunately it was only serrated/springy washers and small stuff like that. Unfortunately some of it had internal serrations or both internal and external and I can't get hold of replacements.

Cast steel is a no-no again, it ends up looking like crap and you'll never get the corrosive cleaning agents out of the pores so starts to eat itself soon after having been plated.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information