Ruby the 1957 403.
  • Register
  • Help

Icon7 Ruby the 1957 403.

Hi.

Today I got Ruby going again!!!!! After about 1 and a half years of being off the road she back on it!

I bought her almost 2 years ago from Kimba Rudeforth, paid $1500 for her and she came with enough parts to build a whole other 403 or 2. She went great for a few months and then mysteriously overheated and blew the head gasket... 200kms from home on the highway just outside of Bunbury. We managed to get her back here and she sat for ages. I could find anyone willing to machine the head, got plenty of "errrr, we're booked out" and just no reply as soon as "Peugeot" was mentioned. Just Head Worx in Bunbury machined it and did the valves, I highly recommend them. Then she sat for ages waiting for *someone* to get off their lazy arse and put her back together. Now she's back together. I'm led to believe she has quite a history in the early parts of the W.A Peugeot club, certain people on this forum know a lot more about that than me though.

I'm not really sure what my plans are for her, I really like the unrestored look and I think I'l fix what rust there is (a fair bit really) and try and preserve that look as much as I can. Luckily most of the rust is in places with good paint so I could quite easily repair the rust and keep the deteriorated paint look.

I still have to get the radiator recored and a temprature sender put in it. The factory spot for the temp sender has a steel plug in it which wont bloody come out!! Once all that is done, I'l be able to comfortably drive her again.

Advertisement

Anyway, pictures. As of today this is what she looks like, should probably give her a wash.

Thanks

Hayden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1799.jpg   Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1798.jpg   Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1801.jpg   Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1806.jpg  
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

Default 403s are cool

Hayden,

Well done and don't think about how long it took to get mobile again, enjoy the drive!

I had my 403 sedan out today for a run to the local scout den to make billy carts for a race meet tomorrow (two daughters running).

Always a hoot driving a 403.

friday403 (Chris)

1000+ Posts

Default twin carb manifold

who was this manifold made by ,PUGS

Sideways,
    Good to see "Ruby" mobile again . Was the head gasket a "Monotorque" type? If so this should remove the need to re-tension the head. Make sure the radiator cap is a 4lb/sq" spec.

Did the special twin carb manifold have a makers name on it?
    I believe the air cleaner/silencer on your car was referred to as the "colonial" type. If you could find a period replacement it would tidy up the underbonnet appearance. Some of the 203's had a simple air cleaner.
    I go along with the idea of enjoying Ruby for a while before doing any further restoration. No padock bashing now.

Tadpole

Default twin carb manifold

I have a twin carb manifold similar to Ruby the 1957 403 . Was on a 203 head found at the Bendigo Swap Meet about 20 years ago .

Several people have expressed an interest in this manifold . Apparently Bob Holden had something similar on his racing 203 in the mid 50's and was available through your local Peugeot dealer . It was called an " Abart " inlet manifold .

The one I have has no markings or identification . I made some enquiries into getting some cast , using this one for a pattern . The costs soon made me abandon the idea . The mold was in the order of $2000 , and each raw casting about $100 . They would then have to be drilled , tapped , and machined !!

If there is enough interest I will make more enquiries .

Slight confusion here. Abarth only made an aftermarket muffler for the 203 (sold through the Autobleu company in France. Twin carburettor manifolds were made Nardi, Caloroto, Iandelli and others.

I suspect that the Australian company Lynx may have also dabbled in these.

Quote Originally Posted by friday403 View Post
    Hayden,

Well done and don't think about how long it took to get mobile again, enjoy the drive!

I had my 403 sedan out today for a run to the local scout den to make billy carts for a race meet tomorrow (two daughters running).

Always a hoot driving a 403.

friday403 (Chris)
    Enjoying the drive is indeed... Joyful.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Sideways,
    Good to see "Ruby" mobile again . Was the head gasket a "Monotorque" type? If so this should remove the need to re-tension the head. Make sure the radiator cap is a 4lb/sq" spec.

Did the special twin carb manifold have a makers name on it?
    I believe the air cleaner/silencer on your car was referred to as the "colonial" type. If you could find a period replacement it would tidy up the underbonnet appearance. Some of the 203's had a simple air cleaner.
    I go along with the idea of enjoying Ruby for a while before doing any further restoration. No padock bashing now.
    I have no idea about the head gasket, I meant to ask about it on here. Thanks for reminding me. An attachment has the label from the head gasket, using Google translator reveals nothing relevant though. Are metal gaskets a re torque type?

As for the air filter and silly inlet muffler thingy, I'm quite happy to keep the oil bath as it's stopping her from rusting away! She really does have some serious under bonnet rust issues. What other styles of air filer were fitted to 403s? I have a few spares of both the muffler thingy and the oil bath.

The wont be any resto work for a while as she's my only running, registered car! Even then, I'm not game to take her any distance until I get the radiator re cored and I have a functioning temperature gauge. I can not tell you how much it sucks to have my Ps but not have any usable, registered cars. I live on a farm in the middle of nowhere (had an hour and 15 min trip to school each day, that's each way too) so not have a car really sucks.

Now, the bit that everyone's interested in. The manifold. I know little about it as I didn't get its history off Kimba, however it has a makers tag. (see the attached pic) It's for twin solexs, the ones that the 403 came with and it has a top piece that joins the carbs to the original inlet muffler thing. (Also, see attached pic). It's not particularly well designed but compared to the standard inlet system it's awesome. It's a bit roughly cast and machined but the top piece is very well done. One day I'l hook twin carbs up to it, I've got a few spare carbs.

A quick google of Monaro Motors reveals that they made manifolds(and lots of other cool stuff!) for just about everything British as well as VWs and Holdens!

Thanks

Hayden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1809.jpg   Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1814.jpg   Ruby the 1957 403.-sam_1818.jpg  
    1985 S2 505 GTi. Someone please sell me an S2 drivers side front 1/4 panel so I can get this on the road again.
    1985 S1 505 SRi. Parts car.
    1957 403 sedan. Aka Ruby.
    1979&81 Suzuki LJ81s.
    1980 Suzuki LJ80V.
    1981 Suzuki SJ40 Sierra.
    2000 Suzuki Jimny.

Sideways,
    The head gasket has that original appearance ie not Monotorque.
    Time to check your 403 manual for head re/tensioning details.
    What's that. No manual??
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 10th November 2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: stuff

1000+ Posts

If the head has a metal plate in place of the temp gauge, it's probably a commercial head. On the 203's there wasn't a thread behind the plate so you had to tap it. If you need a temp sender let me know. The air cleaner is right for the year. All export models had them (even in England). If you need any pages from the manual e-mailed let me know.

Russel,
    The originality of the 403 "colonial" type air filter wasn't in question.
    I have seen a neater "pancake" dry element filter on 203 engines and was thinking one of these would tidy up the under bonnet appearance.

1000+ Posts

I have one on mine. They were the early type of dry filter. Bruce Tayler hated them and advocated everyone replace them with the oil bath. The dry filter on the 403 was in the end of the air silencer. It was neat because it removed a large unit from under the bonnet. The Autocar inquired of Peugeot as to why cars coming to England had oil bath filters given that England was even cooler and greener than France. The reply was that it was the export model.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    If the head has a metal plate in place of the temp gauge, it's probably a commercial head. On the 203's there wasn't a thread behind the plate so you had to tap it. If you need a temp sender let me know. The air cleaner is right for the year. All export models had them (even in England). If you need any pages from the manual e-mailed let me know.
    Even 505s had oil bath cleaners in New Caledonia, they gave twice the engine life in the harsh conditions encountered there.
    Graham

Thread Information