R1134 Restoration - old one send you to youtube! SORRY.
  • Register
  • Help

Default R1134 Restoration - old one send you to youtube! SORRY.

Go here to have a look at the resto.

try this time!

Advertisement

the car is looking really lovely, it looks pretty stock hopfuly that will stay i just reckon they get ruined with big shiny alloys but each to their own.
    hope to see it at one of the FCDs sometime

regards
    ryan
    Kind Regards
    Ryan

61 Dauphine Gordini r10 running gear - restoration

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... thatís what gets you"

So it had a really bad knock in the motor and we took the sump off today and had a look at the big end bearings, This is what we found...

Fellow Frogger!

Default Bad news ...

Yep, they are toast - hopefully that crank will still be able to be ground and is not too worn - but i dont like your chances ...

Just did mine in the 807 motor while working on the sump / oil area - its so easy in the rear engined cars to drop the sump and throw a set in every 10-15k k's.

It looks like your pump is crud or it has been run without oil etc - dont want to tell you how to suck eggs but it looks like it has that classic linear shell degradation as the bearings get further from the pump. When inspecting i always pull the furthest from the pump first for a condition check.

Good luck on not being undersize - i think i do have a few 1100 cranks at my dads house if you get stuck - i dont think there is any diff between standard 8 cranks and gordini ones, i'm sure i can remember using one in a gordini motor i built up - block is different though around the cam area.

BR

Default New bearings

We got some new bearings, but they sent standard and we need 50thou bearings

The crank is fine so hopefully the new bearings will fix the problem. I believe that the turning over to get oil pressure up every few months as well as some mystery issue in the motor may have caused the damage so quickly... Hopefully there are no other surprises coming.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Getting oil pressure up.

Hello mate,

I had a similar prob with my 16ts in the R8 with no oil pressure after an extended "rest period".

It had a fram filter with no anti drain back and after fitting a ryco with anti drain seem to fix the prob.

It does still take, in my mind, an excessive amount of time to bring up oil pressure and i even thought about fitting one of the moroso etc style pre oilers that dump 500ml or so of oil under pressure into the lube system before you kick the starter to pre prime everything.

But at the same time no manufacturer has ever fitted such a system to vehicles before so i dont know of its necessity if everything is right?

I used to get a slight big end knock when first starting the car but what i have worked out is after fitting new bearings to re tolerance the big ends properly and also fitting a choke cable so the engine starts and idles properly without having to use the foot throttle it all seems to be fine now.

This is also with the new oil cooler system and alot of my oil routing etc has changed.

If you have no anti drain back and your gordini has an oil cooler it could be taking an excessive amount of time to prime?

Dont know man but good luck.

You guys may be interested to look at the "R12 head on an R10 block" thread in the renault forum.
    Yesterday I made up a little gizmo to manually prime sierra block oil pumps using a cordless drill which worked quite well.

You turn the ignition on to see the oil warning light and/or gauge; but because I disconnected the electric fuel pump and the gear drive for the cam is missing; the engine doesn't actually turn over whilst you do this - just the oil pump.

Don't know if the spline would fit a 16TS oil pump but if the distributor and cam drive are not the same, you could probably at least use the idea for your 16 engines. Tim, I realise it would fit your R8G engine if you wanted to borrow it when the time comes.

KB
    KB

Thread Information