R8 upgrade project - Page 25
  • Register
  • Help
Page 25 of 30 First ... 15212223242526272829 ... Last
Like Tree434Likes

Thread: R8 upgrade project

The glovebox lid appears upside down?

Advertisement

Otherwise another outstanding piece of work by Brett!

Quote Originally Posted by brettr View Post

[...]

made a new speedo and tacho, both with digital readout etc and various other features and recalls etc plus they are stepper motor ones so they work excellent.

[...]
    What do you mean when you say you made the speedo and the rev counter?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    The glovebox lid appears upside down?

Otherwise another outstanding piece of work by Brett!
    Probably not a mistake, it probably hides the nitrous injection controller or something.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Kevin, - you are mostly right about the glovebox of what is going in there.

Angelo - i think the glovebox lid is the right way? isnt it?

Schlitz - yes they are made off 95mm (same as gordini) racetech speedo / tachos - new method is the deadprint on yupo laser stock (on a colour laser printer ofcourse) which allows the led backlight illumination to come through. I'll post a quick video when turned on. New rings comes from ebay.fr for gord speedo / tacho, glass comes from local glass cutters.

The yupo laser stock is a plastic coated stock.

The stepper motor versions are accurate and fast responding and contain heaps of features like peak recall, multi-staged redline shift light, odometer, blah blah blah.

If anyone wants the latest artwork just ask - i cant upload the file cdr or pdf here.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brettr; 19th May 2017 at 11:31 AM.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    BR

Building a race car is easy - building a race car that can be road registered is hard.

For any custom fabrication call Precision One Off Engineering - Sydney 02 4587 8666

The glovebox is correct; it should open outwards though of course.
    Are you sure 270km/h is enough?
    J-man and FIVEDOOR like this.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

I think that is ok, but 280 would be ridiculous.

27of85 likes this.
    BR

Building a race car is easy - building a race car that can be road registered is hard.

For any custom fabrication call Precision One Off Engineering - Sydney 02 4587 8666

Oh, so you can buy the meter and you make your own face , did I get this right?

Did you have to add the led backlights, or are they already in the gauge somehow?

Using a stepper motor, that means you need a Hall sensor as a sender, or something like that, right? Does it come with the gauge?

Nice job, anyway.

I was chasing one of those rev counters with discrete LEDs like those used in the past on the Tangara trains in Sydney. Best rev counter ever to see the lights sweep around like crazy on acceleration. Found a wiring diagram with 128 LEDs, very nice, but haven't built it yet (don't know if I would ever actually use it given my reluctance to butcher original dials and gauge pods). I think there was also some problem with the size of the gauge which would still be too small for the 205GTI (you have to use some undersize rectangular LEDs - not easy to come by - because I wouldn't use the round ones which would ruin the whole illusion of a continuous bar expanding on acceleration).

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

For Schlitz, gauges starting up.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/591eacc386e4e/MOV_1920.mp4

BR

Good for the epileptics!
    You sure that shift light doesn't blind you?
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

All backlights etc already in the gauge. I just break them open, mod to my liking and assemble.

If you want a rectangular led sweeper and gauge combo get one of these, I just put one on a bike and got a spare for a use with the dauphine. Also the real one not the copy has a 9k rpm version so if you are not electronically minded it's a good starting point.
    The fake one, like in the pic below, on ebay is 40 bucks delivered.

And you can see the speedo left has an issue on the oled so I'll be reopening it to fix so I'll take some pics.

dimistyle likes this.
    BR

Fellow Frogger!

Kevin, it is set to go off at my redline of 2500rpm and I never would think about revving it that hard.

And the phone video makes everything look alot more dramatic than real life.

And have you decided to let me put that supercharger on your Renault engine yet? I have a spare Eaton M112 that would get that 1.3lt moving nicely.

FIVEDOOR likes this.
    BR

Surely you go to 2600 when you get a rush of blood to the head off the lights?

Sent from my LT29i using aussiefrogs mobile app
    brettr likes this.

Hehe. Nice.

Yeah, I expect in reality it's not as offending as the phone camera thinks.

Kevin, it is set to go off at my redline of 2500rpm and I never would think about revving it that hard.

And the phone video makes everything look alot more dramatic than real life.

And have you decided to let me put that supercharger on your Renault engine yet? I have a spare Eaton M112 that would get that 1.3lt moving nicely.

That'll be stage two.
    KB

Angelo - i think the glovebox lid is the right way? isnt it?
    Brett, I must stand corrected. My 2 R8's have both had them the other way, but checking a few pics on the web says you have it the right way! You learn something every day.

Fellow Frogger!

Angelo a quick tip, if you bolt your drivers seat to the headlining your glovebox will look correct.

BR

Fellow Frogger!

Schlitz,

Here's some pics.

Speedo body.

With LEDs on.

The new face made for it.

J-man and bowie like this.
    BR

That's great. That is just great.

Looking over your posts is like standing on the fence peering at the neighbors kids playing with all their cool toys.
    lozenge likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Nice. Electronics has gone a long way since the sixties.

Blue light does keep you awake, but it might get tiring on a long trip. Having searched for warm white LEDs, I can tell you they are more expensive and harder to find. Perhaps for a reason.

What sort of sensor does it use?

Fellow Frogger!

Sensor pickup would be 5v square wave, but that's easy to make a circuit to convert a 12v coil pulse.

So I don't know why I put myself through this stuff.

Because the dash was out now it's everything is out and being redone.

New laminated front screen with new rubber.

New rear screen rubber.

And virtually a complete new harness throughout to modern standards....why?

BR

I’m still amazed seeing all the ripper work that has been done to the car. Though surprised to see the original windscreen washer pump still in place, I thought the original grey button was discreetly converted to operate a multi-nozzle high-volume unit - or was for the NOS :-)
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Yes simon a few little quirky things like the manual pump are cool. Good at rego when they say "washers" and you keep saying "wait for it" while you pump like crazy.

So my wife wants no more boy racer and more gt. Always keep the wife happy.

So new rear parcel shelf and speakers, turning my hand to interior trimming.

Switch to a R10s column as the ignition barrel is better and angled so knock the gordini shaft bush out and put it in as the shaft is thicker. Then also mill the mount hole across as the centres are wider on a 10 column.

Then work on a mounting system for a stereo. Even this kenwood media player which is half size still fouls the air vent.

So take the vent out and sculpt it and glue in an aluminium cover.

Mod the undertray for a battery kill.

And also mod and bracket for the bias valve.

Then mount the new fuse box which can be accessed through the bottom glovebox.

It's a start anyrate.

J-man and bowie like this.
    BR

Fellow Frogger!

Been os for a week but back into it.

I'm no motor trimmer but the undertray is done.

BR

Fellow Frogger!

So tonight I knocked off more gt for the wife, roof and c pillars insulated.

R8 Dream and J-man like this.
    BR

Chynamat!
    Will cost you some HP with all that weight.

Top work as always.
    KB

Page 25 of 30 First ... 15212223242526272829 ... Last

Thread Information