R8 upgrade project - Page 20
  • Register
  • Help
Page 20 of 20 First ... 101617181920
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: R8 upgrade project

Fellow Frogger!

With the throttle body mounted and intercooler etc in I could do a first run of the maf / air filter.

Bit messy currently excuse for that but something like this.

Advertisement

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    R8 Dream likes this.
    BR

Building a race car is easy - building a race car that can be road registered is hard.

For any custom fabrication call Precision One Off Engineering - Sydney 02 4587 8666

Fellow Frogger!

Little progress today, being made go to a social outing

Only time to set the liner heights all to 0.18mm.

Does anyone have a favoured protrusion on the 807?

J-man and R8 Dream like this.
    BR

Building a race car is easy - building a race car that can be road registered is hard.

For any custom fabrication call Precision One Off Engineering - Sydney 02 4587 8666

Fellow Frogger!

Prepping for build it was crank time.

So tested a journal polished method using a leather belt my wife bought me that I didn't like and some stainless buffing compound.

Mount the crank in the lathe.

Soak the belt in water.

Rub it over the buffing compound.

Around the crank, start the lathe and hold on.

Here's some before and after on the test crank which was not the best to start with....

Then onto the better crank, still a few marks etc.

When finished and thoroughly cleaned it came up tops ready to bolt in.

Last edited by brettr; 8th January 2017 at 07:43 PM.
    BR

Can someone tell me what my static compression is???? I'm reckoning 8.5 to 1 but what would I know...

My guess is you know a lot.

Without taking into account the cutaways in the pistons for the valves, and assuming the 77mm pistons come to the top of the liner, and allowing 1.5mm as the compressed head gasket thickness, a figure of 8.75 to 1 is achieved, so a little less with the cutaways.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Alan, thanks mate for some help. So I spose 8.6 or so which should be ok.

So the afternoon had a bit of assembly, gave the block and crank and main caps their final scrub and the new main shells in.

Went to put the cap sides in and the new sealed set from mecaparts has one bad shell.

But I had a spare so assembled the crank, taking time to align the caps and slowly trial an ultra low torque always ensuring the crank turns very nicely. Then that was done.

Then went to put a new sprocket on for the timing chain and the new one is 2.5mm wider so have to machine the ridge off. Must be R16 is different to R17.

Then take the lovely new cam and cut the end off with the slitting blade, taped the journal as I'm tired and thought I would root it possibly.

Now that's done more assembly tomorrow I spose....

J-man, FIVEDOOR and bowie like this.
    BR

Fellow Frogger!

As my cam sproket was worn out I couldn't assemble the engine. The sproket looked like the starting point for a bed of nails.

So I thought about the ignition system and thinking about running a coil on plug set-up. So I might not run the distributor setup.

So start with an aluminium scrap piece.

Then turn it down to this.

Then put the dizzy in the lathe and skim it true and take 8mm off its top.

Then shape the top to match the CAS and it goes in, tap the holes and the bottom slips over the original distributor.

Another day down....

R8 Dream likes this.
    BR

So I thought about the ignition system and thinking about running a coil on plug set-up. So I might not run the distributor setup.

Nissan CA18 coils?
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Toyota yaris / echo cops. Have test fitted a standard one, nice fit, will get some accel ones for a big juicy spark.

Just have to work on removing the ignitor module from the Ca18det circuit and having the ecu trigger the coil direct as they have their own ignitor.

BR

Fellow Frogger!

Slow day today, was made to go out shopping in the morning

Just finalising the exhaust flange for laser cutting.

Started to prep the rocker gear but the shafts are fugged, trying to see if someone has some good ones I can buy?

And started on the oil pump spacer. Milled out of 7075 aluminium, rough out an area to 6mm. Will hone this cut-out flat then flip and mill to just above 5mm, leaving a poofteenth for honing, and cut the pump spacer shape out.

R8 Dream likes this.
    BR

Just finalising the exhaust flange for laser cutting.

A trick that seems to work on naturally aspirated race engines is to make the bottom part of the exhaust flange line up with the port, with a misalignment (oversize)of approx 2.5-3mm on the top side,leaving the sharp edge of the exhaust port at the head, assuming the pipework faces down toward the sump. This is done I believe for when the pressure wave comes back up the port, and hits the top edge, it causes a gas curtain effect to stop the exhaust gas from back flowing into the chamber on valve overlap. Although with a supercharged engine your cam is likely to not have a lot of overlap.
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Alan, yep sure, Graham Bell tuning for speed style, was actually just reading more about it as my pipes are not going downwards and he wants it at the top assuming gas running faster at the port top and coming back at the top. I just thought I would split the difference with my exhaust primary angles as they will initially run out and up.

I really don't know exactly what I'm doing though!

BR

Fellow Frogger!

Today was hot but I still managed 8 hours in the 50 degree shed.

Final prep for a morning cut of the spacer. Machine power supplies were all tripping off all day....

And finished up the head, just a little recess at the top of the lowering load side of the tappet hole, I've noticed these are very tight at the top and hopefully this will promote oil to get in as it's pooling on the top ridge. Little hard to see, just a small machined v to help guide oil in.

BR

Fellow Frogger!

Long day but nothing much to show. Been prepping up to make some rocker shafts.

But first thing in the morning started the final milling of the oil pump spacer.

First contour cut, the rotor hole, after the mill finished drilling the mounting holes.

Then the rest.

Then it was finished and honed to size.

Came up excellent.

Should be a nice cool day in the workshop tomorrow....

BR

Fellow Frogger!

Head first today. Built with roller rockers. 5 grams less than standard.

But before assembly I noticed the tappet adjuster recess was not correct on the exhausts.

So back on the mill....

Then assemble....

Then sump and pump. Measure the autobleu sump and mod and mark-up a dipstick to suit.
    C is crank weight extent, f and l and e self explanatory.

Remove the excess lump for the second oil drain so the stick fits. A few oil gallery plugs and covers and test fit sump.

Now because the sump baffle is fouling the 5mm lowered pump I need to mod the baffle and pump, thats tomorrows jobs....

J-man, Simon, JohnW and 1 others like this.
    BR

What rocker arms are those?

How are your rocker shafts? Oil clearance?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

The rockers are custom fab from scratch. Went to my dad's and found some rocker gear under the house that was actually pretty good amazingly.

So milled the 4 tallest oil pump mount bolt shoulders down 5mm.

Then honed the pump surface to make it like new.

Nice new 31mm oil pump rotor assembly.

Put it in. 5mm proud.

With the spacer.

Then took the relief valve apart and removed 2.3mm off the guide pin as I put a 2.3mm spacer in to give I think about 10% higher ultimate oil pressure.
    Relief valve travel is 21mm to full open. Was always taught 10psi / 1000rpm.

Assemble, turns beautifully.

Mod the baffle to accept a 5mm lower pump body plus weld a plate to cover the second dipstick hole.

Mod the r17 pick-up to fit the sump.

Then realise it's at its max mod adjustment and I fitted on the block with no spacer so I'll get a big block pick-up etc and mod to fit so it's new as well I spose.

Another day down....

BR

Fellow Frogger!

So worked on the distributor / cas connection today.

Looking in the oil pump / distributor drive gear there is still 25+mm of spline above the oil pump rotor drive and I have the old oil pump.

So measure and a quick drawing then cut the rotor head off and into the lathe.

Turn the shaft down to 10mm, leaving a shoulder near the spline to control the gears up float and hone / polish the shaft to size.

Then put a groove for a sturdy circlip. The shaft cannot rest it's weight on the oil pump shaft so this allows a shim system under the circlip once the head is on. O ring will stop the shim falling off.

Will put it in the mill and cut a flat to match the CAS then make a joining collar. Goes together like this.

Using the spline gives me very small increments to adjust the CAS orientation so I don't have to worry about getting it right before build.

So holidays over, work tomorrow, so have to wait to next Christmas to finish...

Last edited by brettr; 15th January 2017 at 09:20 PM.
    FIVEDOOR, alan moore, COL and 1 others like this.
    BR

Fellow Frogger!

Today's cooking ingredients :-

4 x Accel aftermarket coil on plugs for the Toyota Yaris / Echo from the 1NZ-FE engine.

Bake for a while, here's some I prepared earlier....

A perfect fit.

Will probably setup on the mill and end mill into the rocker cover at the appropriate angle then thread and stud for the single mounting lug style.

No time now as I'm back at work so progress will be limited to a little at night and therefore slow

COL, J-man and R8 Dream like this.
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by brettr View Post
    The rockers are custom fab from scratch. Went to my dad's and found some rocker gear under the house that was actually pretty good amazingly.

[...]
    What about the rockers, what did you do for those and what was the oil clearance you went for?

I would index and pin that pump spacer and loctite it in place to avoid oil squirting out through the gap. Perhaps some tiny little screws around the contour would have been helpful.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Schlitz,

How do you mean what did I do for the rockers? Also I don't understand what oil clearance you refer to? Bore to shaft etc?

And I don't claim to be an expert at anything but I don't think the spacer requires pinning or any sealing. It's far stiffer being 7075 than the alloy in the block / pump plus the oil pump clamping pressure will not allow it to move in any respect - additionally its also centred around the rotor.

The standard pump has no pinning nor gasket so I can't see the need.

Also the rotor pumps oil in its centre, the bore clearance around the outside of the rotor is 0.1mm so I can't see much pressure escaping.

Back on the project didn't get much done.

Moving to cam, the catcams quality is excellent. Apart from the woodruff keyway was slightly undersize and a tiny bit burred. Even with a hone of the key it still threw a micro burr on the way in.

Then pressed the cam sproket on.

Installed the cam with a new chain as the new lower sproket goes on simultaneously. And making sure the timing marks line up.

It's a top looking billet cam.

Tomorrow night I can knock the tensioner / timing cover / pulley mounts off I hope.

J-man likes this.
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by brettr View Post
    Hi Schlitz,

How do you mean what did I do for the rockers? Also I don't understand what oil clearance you refer to? Bore to shaft etc?

And I don't claim to be an expert at anything but I don't think the spacer requires pinning or any sealing. It's far stiffer being 7075 than the alloy in the block / pump plus the oil pump clamping pressure will not allow it to move in any respect - additionally its also centred around the rotor.

The standard pump has no pinning nor gasket so I can't see the need.

Also the rotor pumps oil in its centre, the bore clearance around the outside of the rotor is 0.1mm so I can't see much pressure escaping.

[...]
    Sorry, I meant the rocker shafts as per my previous question. I thought you said yours were knackered.

Yes, the clearance between rocker arms and shafts.

You might have a point about the oil pump, I forgot the outlet (and the high pressure side of the pump) is inside the rotor.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Schlitz,

I found a set that had been under my dad's house for 20 years and they are usable.

Tonight was a nothing night on the car, didn't achieve much as usual but it always seems like I did alot.

Mount the chain guides and a new tensioner.

Front pulley all bolts Loctited in then skimmed the front face in the lathe to true the two surfaces and polished the seal surface.

Finalised the belt idler assembly. So shaped the alternator bit, made an adjuster mount and welded it in, then paint the bracket. Also put some flats for tightening on the idler mounts I made.

Then made 3 x 8mm spacers in 6061 for the plate to sit on on the timing cover and put it's seal in.

Until tomorrow....

J-man likes this.
    BR

Fellow Frogger!

Short night tonight.

Just put the timing cover on.

And some accessories...

BR

Page 20 of 20 First ... 101617181920

Thread Information