Jodie and Paul's R8 Project
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Jodie and Paul's R8 Project

Well, we had to make a big decision on friday night as to wether we get it registered for Eurora Show and Shine or not. We decided not. We have done a lot of research on the net about the drilled 5 stud hubs and have found that they wont pass ADR's and Shannons will not insure us with them on (and we are not prepared to take that chance). We could leave the original wheels on to go to the show and shine, but the custom green paint work with original wheels wouldn't be a good look.

So, the decision was made to begin the resto that we were going to do next year.. or the year after.

Over the weekend we pulled all the panels, lights, window glass and all the interior out to give us an idea of what we were in for. The main reason for the project was to fix the paintwork, as there are a lot of rust spots surfacing and the whole clear-coat has watermarks throughout (most likely from a cheap water trap on someones compressor). It was good to see that most of the rust spots bubbling up are surface only and with the correct treatment will not return. It will have to be a bare metal respray (damn, so much more work), as if we can see some rust coming up you can bet there will be far more that hasn't surfaced yet. We also pulled out both windscreens and noticed there was absolutely no rust!

All panels are in great condition and just need a bit of planishing to remove the myriads of low and high spots.

Now i have heard previously there was a lot of discussion about this car as to both the original colour and it's supposedly having 2 hood lining's?

Advertisement

We have found that the original colour was a light blue. We have documents saying that some people believed it was white.. We have found no white paint anywhere in the car unless you want to count primer. We are missing the oval plate so have no original paint code. We have the diamond plate but would like to verify this with a stamp on the body, others have looked for it on the scuttle's to no avail and we still cant find it.

We pulled the hood lining off and there was a bit of aluminium for the speakers and fibreglass house insulation all through the roof and into the pillars. The roof has very light surface rust.

We hope that we can get some help and idea's as we travel along with our project.

We are going to need a set of rubbers for all the glass, front, side and rear.

Will be posting pics...

Default Pics of the R8

Some pics of the 8 after pulling panels off and other bits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0361.jpg   Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0359.jpg   Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0356.jpg   Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0353.jpg   Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0350.jpg   Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0354.jpg  

Last edited by JodieK; 14th August 2011 at 11:30 PM.

Tadpole

Default good luck with resto

Hi Guys,
    Good luck with resto, we have a r12 wagon in town(wangaratta) that we purchased for resto but is in too good condition to be pulling apart at present. We are looking for a R4, R8 or R10 for project in the mean time.

Flo & Adam

Looks like the light blue might be cosmic blue. I know that was a colour in the R1132 (mine was originally this colour) but not sure for the R1130.
    KB

Is it a white one? I have seen it around and was almost going to follow you! It looks really nice... Would love to met you for a chat sometime... I dont know many people in town as we only moved here last year.

Hey KB,

Since we have bought the car we have noticed alot of inconsistences with it.. I'd like to know if the 1963 model came with the chrome strips on the sides? I believe that it had a chrome strip for the step roof as well? I could imagine that getting a chrome strip for the roof will be impossible as there aren't many step roof R8's in Australia?

Any help would be great!

Hopefully Simon will answer as his knowledge and reference sources are greater than mine. It is difficult as a lot of the reference material came from France (even the Australian brochures had french photos as Renault had their own in-house art department etc that used to produce them).

The book "La Renault 8 de mon pere" by Dominique Pascal published by ETAI ISBN 9782726883891 has a lot of info regarding development and some specs, but is sadly lacking in others. For example, the cover car which looks to be an R1130 does not have the side protective strips but most others have including photos of the car at the world launch in Spain in 1962.

I have an original copy of Wheels January 1964 when the R8 was named car of the year and a grey R1130 is on the cover with NSW rego DDE 136 (proving it is an australian sold car). This car has the side protective strips; no chrome along the gutter rail above the doors (which I understand is another difference between the two models). It's a front on shot so you can't see the rear of the roof, but my understanding is that the cover on the step was always body coloured.

For what it is worth, I have a few original brochures including one which has a nice dashboard shot for the R1130. I will scan it at work and attempt to load it up here.

KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by JodieK View Post
    Well, we had to make a big decision on friday night as to wether we get it registered for Eurora Show and Shine or not. We decided not. We have done a lot of research on the net about the drilled 5 stud hubs and have found that they wont pass ADR's and Shannons will not insure us with them on (and we are not prepared to take that chance). We could leave the original wheels on to go to the show and shine, but the custom green paint work with original wheels wouldn't be a good look.

So, the decision was made to begin the resto that we were going to do next year.. or the year after.

Over the weekend we pulled all the panels, lights, window glass and all the interior out to give us an idea of what we were in for. The main reason for the project was to fix the paintwork, as there are a lot of rust spots surfacing and the whole clear-coat has watermarks throughout (most likely from a cheap water trap on someones compressor). It was good to see that most of the rust spots bubbling up are surface only and with the correct treatment will not return. It will have to be a bare metal respray (damn, so much more work), as if we can see some rust coming up you can bet there will be far more that hasn't surfaced yet. We also pulled out both windscreens and noticed there was absolutely no rust!

All panels are in great condition and just need a bit of planishing to remove the myriads of low and high spots.

Now i have heard previously there was a lot of discussion about this car as to both the original colour and it's supposedly having 2 hood lining's?

We have found that the original colour was a light blue. We have documents saying that some people believed it was white.. We have found no white paint anywhere in the car unless you want to count primer. We are missing the oval plate so have no original paint code. We have the diamond plate but would like to verify this with a stamp on the body, others have looked for it on the scuttle's to no avail and we still cant find it.

We pulled the hood lining off and there was a bit of aluminium for the speakers and fibreglass house insulation all through the roof and into the pillars. The roof has very light surface rust.

We hope that we can get some help and idea's as we travel along with our project.

We are going to need a set of rubbers for all the glass, front, side and rear.

Will be posting pics...
    The chap I purchased the car from was in Canberra, The car was blue as it was being done up as a Gordini, the original colour was not blue. It did have the holes along the sides of the car for the trim, but no trim came with the car so they were filled in.
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969
    Ford Single Spinner Ute 49

The brochures turned out to be a right pain to try to scan at work due to the abnormal size and our multifunction photocopier thingy, so I only scanned the front page and dash photo page. Now they are too large to upload and PDF format not jpeg, so I've cracked the sh*ts and given up!

Will try again when I get a chance.
    KB
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    The brochures turned out to be a right pain to try to scan at work due to the abnormal size and our multifunction photocopier thingy, so I only scanned the front page and dash photo page. Now they are too large to upload and PDF format not jpeg, so I've cracked the sh*ts and given up!

Will try again when I get a chance.
    KB
    Thanks for trying KB

Would anyone be able to tell me if the sound mat in this picture is factory or not?

Also I am led to believe from all the research the previous owner did that the step in the boot of this R8 is unusual. As we dont have another R8 sitting around to compare with, if anyone has a photo of the boot in their R8 that they can post it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0367.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by r8waynerenault View Post
    The chap I purchased the car from was in Canberra, The car was blue as it was being done up as a Gordini, the original colour was not blue. It did have the holes along the sides of the car for the trim, but no trim came with the car so they were filled in.
    Wayne
    Im not totaly convinced on this, but could be wrong. Have been before - just ask Jodie.
    But my previous time spent working in a panel shop tells me that unless this car has been acid bathed in the past then the order of paint coats are as follows.

Red oxide based etch (not pure red oxide as this was a sealer only).
    White primer.
    Very pale blue (Cosmic Blue - KB)

It was, and still is, common to use a light primer under a light base coat as the materials expense was in the base coat and it would have taken more coats of the pale blue to hide the red etch.

But, as I said, my knowledge of Renault's, and this car, are limited... so if anyone comes up with a better reason why this car was originaly white then please let me know.

PK

Would anyone be able to tell me if the sound mat in this picture is factory or not?

Also I am led to believe from all the research the previous owner did that the step in the boot of this R8 is unusual.
    What is the context of the soundproofing? It looks like the bitumen & brown undefelt stuff from behind/under the rear seat.

The step in the front boot just means it is an early R8, the step was flattened out on the later cars.

The original colour of the car would be the colour on top of the red undercoat, so it would be whitish, rather than the 418ish looking blue colour. The strip over the rear window is body colour and not chrome or stainless. The only R8's without the side strips were the cheap models, so all of the Australian delivered cars would have the side strips, which are below the side pressing on the doors, rather than above the pressing as on the R10.

The other neat thing on the early R8 is that the outside door handles are formed from stainless steel, rather than being chome plated diecast metal.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

What colour is it up under and behind the dashboard? and other hard to reach areas?

Anyone doing a complete respray (unless doing a total restoration) is unlikely to strip and respray in all those nooks and crannies that won't be seen once resprayed.

I have a book which describes the techniques used in the time of the R16, I'll tempt fate with the damn photocopier yet again.
    KB

I have a book which describes the techniques used in the time of the R16,
    That sounds like it would be the Electrophoresis brochure, which is another different process again.

There seem to be a few types of painting of the 1960's cars. The early cars used as little body colour paint as possible. Anything not covered by trim was left in red primer, so you peel off the door trim and the body panels or roof panel were mainly red primer with a rough overspray coat of body colour. 1965/66 seems to be the era when all the unseen areas received a decent coating of body colour paint, so that the red primer was not visible. Sort of the era of the Insta-Fade range of colours like Cosmic Blue and Slate Grey, where you just polished away the paint to reveal the red under coat. This had happened to a one-owner 1965 Cosmic Blue R8 I looked at way back in 1984, full books, original toolkit, bumped on all four corners, and with lovely piebald polished through paint on the upper surfaces. All for $399...
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

Wrong this time Simon! (a rare occurrence )
    It's a substantial hard cover book made in-house by renault called "Renault - The leading French Motor Car Manufacturer". As it is published in-house it doesn't necessarily have all the usual ISBN; publishing date (only a reference number) but looks like it was published in 1968 to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of Renault. It describes the company, divisions, factories and processes. Has some good period photos of the factories too.

Hopefully I can scan and load up a few relevant pages.
    KB
    KB

It's a substantial hard cover book made in-house by renault called "Renault - The leading French Motor Car Manufacturer".
    Yep, that is a good book, and correct, I'm not always right! The paint process described there though would also be different to that used in Australia in the early 1960's, which lacked the technology used in France in 1968.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

I'll try to upload the scans I'm talking about from the book - note Simon's valid comments above that it may not be the same as the process used in Oz:

Edit - this is only page 1 of 5 - the individual pages or the whole file are over the 100kb limit so they are not going to get uploaded as attachments.

KB

pages 2 - 5

KB

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What is the context of the soundproofing? It looks like the bitumen & brown undefelt stuff from behind/under the rear seat.

The step in the front boot just means it is an early R8, the step was flattened out on the later cars.

The original colour of the car would be the colour on top of the red undercoat, so it would be whitish, rather than the 418ish looking blue colour. The strip over the rear window is body colour and not chrome or stainless. The only R8's without the side strips were the cheap models, so all of the Australian delivered cars would have the side strips, which are below the side pressing on the doors, rather than above the pressing as on the R10.

The other neat thing on the early R8 is that the outside door handles are formed from stainless steel, rather than being chome plated diecast metal.
    Hi Simon, yes it is a dimpled bitumenised type soundproofing that covers virtualy the entire floor. It is in especialy good condition under and behind the seats, but the photo is from an area under the rear pasengers feet. This is one of the reasons we think the original colour was pale blue, as there is red then white then blue then sound deadener throuout the car.

When we removed the door handles I was suprised to find them made of stainless. You dont see that these days.

PK

pages 2 - 5

I will pm my email address to you KB and possibly you can email the scans. There should be less constraints regarding size that way.

PK

What lies beneath....
    Never say there is not much rust until you start digging. Seems we have the common problems, front and rear of both sills, seams where front wheelarch meets footwell floor and treatable rust under all interior seam sealer.

The sills have been packed full of bog to fill the rust holes so this has allowed the cancer to grow. The seat runners have cracked but not from rust, looks more like from constant flexing, and footwell has multiple pinholes. Looks like the TIG will get a workout afterall.

Anyone have any idea if those 10 - 20gallon presure fed sandblasters you see advertised everywhere these days are worth their salt? We have 130 - 400 cfm compressors at work so thinking of DIY and keeping the $ in my pocket rather than the local media blaster's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jodie and Paul's R8 Project-imag0372.jpg  

What lies beneath....
    Never say there is not much rust until you start digging. Seems we have the common problems, front and rear of both sills, seams where front wheelarch meets footwell floor and treatable rust under all interior seam sealer.

The sills have been packed full of bog to fill the rust holes so this has allowed the cancer to grow. The seat runners have cracked but not from rust, looks more like from constant flexing, and footwell has multiple pinholes. Looks like the TIG will get a workout afterall.

Anyone have any idea if those 10 - 20gallon presure fed sandblasters you see advertised everywhere these days are worth their salt? We have 130 - 400 cfm compressors at work so thinking of DIY and keeping the $ in my pocket rather than the local media blaster's.
    Jodie
    When we painted the car green we didnt put any bog as shown in the pic in the car. that bog would have had to been under the blue paint and I am suprised with the pinholes in the footwell. We painted the car some 5 to 6 years ago.
    The sand blaster loves air and your compressor will struggle to keep it up. With that in mind it will be slow going and really messy. In Perth we can have a diamond blast on an R8 size car for around $1k. take it in few days pick it up all done. I will be having my R8 diamond blasted in 2 weeks as this car will be a bare metal build up and not a paint over.
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

The sills have been packed full of bog to fill the rust holes so this has allowed the cancer to grow.
    That wouldn't pass the fridge magnet test :-)

I'm not surprised with the amount of rust, but has still managed to retain the bolt on jacking point. Just check once the bog has been dug out that the inner wall of the sill (which forms the chassis rail from the front to the rear of the car) isn't rusted through as well. Also, check the panel with the rear door striker plate attached, that is a box section and is also prone to rusting through from the inside out, where the rear door pillar attaches to the top of the sill there can be tell-tale rust bubbles. The front door pillars are also double skin, and can also rust from the inside out. And whilst we are in a pick-the-problem mood, check the triangle section between the rear of the front wheel arch and the curved chassis rail for rust (as well as the rear of the front wheel arch), also check for stress fractures at the top of the A-pillar (under the pinchweld), and at the bottom of the windscreen pillar above the top door hinge, these cracks can form if the car has led a fairly active life, and were reinforced on the Gordini 1135 body shell.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4

pages 2 - 5

Does anyone know why I can see the images at home (on my mac) but others (including me at work on Windows 7 machine) just see red crosses where the images should be?

I uploaded them to my homepage area on my ISP's server and inserted image above.
    They work fine at home???

KB
    KB

Does anyone know why I can see the images at home (on my mac) but others (including me at work on Windows 7 machine) just see red crosses where the images should be?

I uploaded them to my homepage area on my ISP's server and inserted image above.
    They work fine at home???

KB
    Document format is the key
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information