Help for 1946 Rover 16
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default Help for 1946 Rover 16






    Advertisement



    I am about to restore this thick skinned wire wheeled tank!
    Where could I get detailed parts for this?

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts michaelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    Hi there. That is an unusual car to find in the Philippines! It looks reasonably intact and complete too. Rovers were very well engineered and make good useable cars when restored. There are many parts available, especially in the UK.

    Here is a link showing Australian Rover clubs and many other world wide links>

    http://www.rovercarclubaust.asn.au/links.htm#aust

    Good luck
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

    DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

  3. #3
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayyagg View Post






    I am about to restore this thick skinned wire wheeled tank!
    Where could I get detailed parts for this?
    Does this have the overhead valve engine and rod brakes?
    My father had one of those, 1939 model.
    The later cars had the overhead inlet side exhaust engine and hydraulic brakes also disc wheels.
    Best part of these cars was the free wheel device.
    Graham

  4. #4
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default

    It is truly rare to have this left hand drive Rover in the Philippines!
    that's why when I saw it... its a miracle!
    The interior are still intact and complete, I am amaze with the wire wheeled rims, all I know this model got none of this?

    Thanks for the help!

  5. #5
    Too many posts! JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, WA, Australia
    Posts
    10,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayyagg View Post






    I am about to restore this thick skinned wire wheeled tank!
    Where could I get detailed parts for this?
    You are a brave man!

    Interesting car, although not exactly in the same philosophy as our Froggies.

    I presume it has synchromesh on 3 and 4 and maybe rod brakes at the rear and hydraulic brakes at the front. I didn't realise they ever made LHD Rovers at that time and to find one in the Phillippines is amazing.

    When I was a teenager, they cost about $200 to buy secondhand in South Australia, hence I bought my Renault 4CV for $60. I remember well travelling in those Rovers. Nice cars in their way.

    Good luck with your restoration. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who will help with parts and advice.
    JohnW

    Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

    National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

  6. #6
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    You are a brave man!

    Interesting car, although not exactly in the same philosophy as our Froggies.

    I presume it has synchromesh on 3 and 4 and maybe rod brakes at the rear and hydraulic brakes at the front. I didn't realise they ever made LHD Rovers at that time and to find one in the Phillippines is amazing.

    When I was a teenager, they cost about $200 to buy secondhand in South Australia, hence I bought my Renault 4CV for $60. I remember well travelling in those Rovers. Nice cars in their way.

    Good luck with your restoration. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who will help with parts and advice.
    If it is the pre war model, which it probably is with the wire wheels, it will have rod brakes all round and the OHV engine.
    Yes, synchro in the top two gears only, nice stubby gearstick and the free wheel meant you didn't need synchro anyway.
    The ride in the back wasn't that good, spent many miles on dirt roads as a kid, the Holdens seemed a lot better in that regard. Classic Car magazine tested a 37 model and reckoned it was about the only pre war car you could take seriously.
    Graham

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,678

    Default

    My first job was at Western Mining's garage in Kalgoorlie. As an apprentice my most important job was to clean and polish the staff cars, a collection of Holdens, Ford Custom and Customlines, De Soto and Sunbeam Talbot.
    My favourite was the 1947 Rover 16 owned by the managers wife.
    The copper hubcap centres were given the brasso treatment. Along with the Vikings head mascot.
    The boot lid interior had a hinged cover that contained all the jacking gear set in foam rubber. A pull-out drawer under the dash had a small collection of tuning tools etc.
    One great feature I recall was the "quick lift" window winder in the drivers door. No winder but a long handle that could raise or lower the window with one movement. For quick hand signals I suppose.
    It had a six cylinder engine with a nice alloy valve cover. Not sure if it was an ohv inlet, side exhaust ?
    Automatic chassis lube, a container under the bonnet that took 50 grade oil.
    Because of its grey colour it was decided to have it painted white.
    It came back from the painters white all over including the fabric roof insert and the rubber running boards !
    As a 15 year old even I knew this to be a travesty. Anyway after a year or so the white painted cracked, curling up like the surface of Eyres Lake in a drought.

    Bayyag, I hope all goes well for you.

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    My first job was at Western Mining's garage in Kalgoorlie. As an apprentice my most important job was to clean and polish the staff cars, a collection of Holdens, Ford Custom and Customlines, De Soto and Sunbeam Talbot.
    My favourite was the 1947 Rover 16 owned by the managers wife.
    The copper hubcap centres were given the brasso treatment. Along with the Vikings head mascot.
    The boot lid interior had a hinged cover that contained all the jacking gear set in foam rubber. A pull-out drawer under the dash had a small collection of tuning tools etc.
    One great feature I recall was the "quick lift" window winder in the drivers door. No winder but a long handle that could raise or lower the window with one movement. For quick hand signals I suppose.
    It had a six cylinder engine with a nice alloy valve cover. Not sure if it was an ohv inlet, side exhaust ?
    Automatic chassis lube, a container under the bonnet that took 50 grade oil.
    Because of its grey colour it was decided to have it painted white.
    It came back from the painters white all over including the fabric roof insert and the rubber running boards !
    As a 15 year old even I knew this to be a travesty. Anyway after a year or so the white painted cracked, curling up like the surface of Eyres Lake in a drought.

    Bayyag, I hope all goes well for you.
    Yes, the quick lift window was a great idea.
    How much better were these cars in their time than Rovers from the 70s and on!

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! petitepoupée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Adelaide (Eden Hills)
    Posts
    855

    Default

    And did it have the "shepherd's crook" handbrake lever? I wonder when that was first introduced...
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

  10. #10
    1000+ Posts michaelr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,393

    Default

    My parents had a Rover 75 and yes, that quick lift window lever was a fantastic feature. I wish we had kept that car. There is still one in use as a daily driver around the Manly area and it always amazes me how quick it is. Before Rover became "Aunty Rovers" they were considered quite sporting. As a 5 year old on London I still remember staring in awe at the Rover Turbine car in the Science museum (About 1956! )

    The last Rover I owned was an SD1/ 3500SE and it was a wonderful beast. Very adventurous styling (for a British car) and lots of lazy torque. I parked in once next to a CX and the owner was shocked by how similar they were in many ways.

    Name me another V8 executive hatchback!!
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

    DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

  11. #11
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by petitepoupée View Post
    And did it have the "shepherd's crook" handbrake lever? I wonder when that was first introduced...
    Pretty sure ours had a conventional floor mounted handbrake.
    Graham

  12. #12
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Lithgow, NSW
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Hi Guys, The Rover 16 had an OHV engine, the IOE (inlet over exhaust) engine was introduced in the post war P3 model. It featured a cast iron head and downdraught carby. The P4 was the first to use the IOE with aluminium head and either 1 or 2 SU's. The "shepherd's crook" handbrake leaver came with the P4. Initially without the grab handle that gave it its name, that was introduced soon after the P4 was released as it was found hard to grab the hand brake!

    Hope that helps.

    Paul

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! petitepoupée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Adelaide (Eden Hills)
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Thanks Paul - good info!
    1974 D Special, 2015 Fiat Panda Twinair turbo 85hp (), 2011 VW biturbo camper.

  14. #14
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default Thanx!

    Thanks for the review and comment in my post of Rover.
    Its truly a rare one with a left hand drive Rover, now I have started cleaning the entire car and dismantling the interior.

    I used to own R4, R16TL, R16TS, R20TS auto and 1969 Ford Escort GT Mexico

    I kept the reliable R16TX and 1982 R20 5speed!

    Stayed a couple of months in Fremantle, Perth and seen a lot of classic cars still running!
    Last edited by Bayyagg; 12th July 2011 at 01:30 PM.

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    616

    Default

    The Rover 16 '37 to '39 had wire wheels, rod brakes, & a bored out 14 OHV motor 2147cc.
    The bonnet vent is the long one as on yours as opposed to the 2 adjustable horizontal vents on the first postwar cars.
    Good luck with a great early English classic.

    Richard

  16. #16
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by citroenut View Post
    The Rover 16 '37 to '39 had wire wheels, rod brakes, & a bored out 14 OHV motor 2147cc.
    The bonnet vent is the long one as on yours as opposed to the 2 adjustable horizontal vents on the first postwar cars.
    Good luck with a great early English classic.

    Richard
    This car also had beam axle front end with leaf springs as compared to the wishbone suspension of the later post war cars.
    Graham

  17. #17
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Lilydale, Melbourne
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bayyagg View Post
    Thanks for the review and comment in my post of Rover.
    Its truly a rare one with a left hand drive Rover, now I have started cleaning the entire car and dismantling the interior.

    I used to own R4, R16TL, R16TS, R20TS auto and 1969 Ford Escort GT Mexico

    I kept the reliable R16TX and 1982 R20 5speed!

    Stayed a couple of months in Fremantle, Perth and seen a lot of classic cars still running!
    So you still have the 16TX and 20?

    I've been to the Philippines a number of times, I don't think I've ever seen any old Renaults. What got you interested in Renaults?

    I went to a car show once in Manila. New and old cars were there. I was quite impressed to see the quality of some of the restored classics. There was an Escort Mexico, numerous Japanese cars from the '70s, a couple of Minis, a few VWs including a stretched four-door Beetle, many '50s and '60s Americans, etc.

    I might try and look you up next time I come to Manila.
    John W

    1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

    1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

    2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

    Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo



  18. #18
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default yep!

    @peujohn

    Yep!

    Renault in the Philippines started in the 1960's, the local distributor is Tropical Motors in Makati City, they still sell parts and repair services, mainly for French embassy and locals. Now, it is already close!

    Renault is not so popular in the mid income family, that's why it is considered a luxury car!

    The last production locally is the R20 in the early 80's.

    My first Renault that i bought is 1975 R16TS, bought it just for 15,00( A$1000 ) pesos in 1981! When I drove it and fascinated with the suspension, I fell in love with the engineering they put on it!

    Since then I bought some more Renaults.

    Way back in 1987 my friend showed his R16TX, spend a fortune just to compete in Best in Transport Show, BEST IN STOCK! Just won 2nd place, beaten by BMW M3!
    There are still some Renaults in the collectors garage, saw some Caravelle, Gordini,R8, R10.....many more. Still saw some 2CV running around weekends in here!
    Here's one selling his R10 down south of Philippines, in island of Cebu.
    http://cebucity.olx.com.ph/1969-rena...u-iid-72363027
    In the island of Bacolod, where the sugar haciendas, growers, kept their old Renaults and Peugeots intact
    in their garage!

    I even bought the old Volvo 544! Sold it immediately, can't say "NO" to a friend!

    During the 50's American cars are common in Manila.
    In 60's European car is being drove by everybody, mostly Mercedes( used as taxi ).
    In the 70's, fuel crunch, the Japanese and European like Ford, Opel, VW, Merc.,Mini, Fiat, Renault, Peugeot, Austin/Morris and Torana( Australian ) cars became common.

    If only I could find my friends stretch R16 limo and show it to you!

    I'm selling my pair of R16TX spare head rest if you like?

    Sure glad to see you when u come here, I think I will be in Hobart by October!
    Last edited by Bayyagg; 13th July 2011 at 05:21 PM.

  19. #19
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Thought about it when peujohn ask me wut it got me to be interested to such awkward designed car like Renault 16?

    One thing is I can't see from other car that gives me comfort in driving and general usage.

    If only aussiefrogs have "true confession of french car" thread this could be it!

    First time I got my R16Ts, I was in uni, got my girlfriend and got married. That time the reliable R16TS helped me all the way until I got my first job and child.

    Being a womanizer ( pardon me that was 23 years ago ), my wife kept kicking me out of my house, and the only place I could be is in the R16TS( remember the interior of the R16 becoming a bedroom when all seats are folded down ), that's where I sleep and it will be parked near my work! I worked in Nissan Motors!

    So, I finally got another R16TX and have to sell the old partner( R16 ). When I was about to deliver my old precious to the buyer( about 13km away ). The car broke down, exhaust pipe broke in half, fix it by the road side, when I'm about 5 meters from the buyers house the car broke down again and can't get it start anymore! Push it until it gets to the buyer, he needs only the engine and some parts. Before I depart, I touched the old precious for the last time and kiss it.......until now I mesmerize how that car helped me throughout the years!

    Maaaan! Tears just flawed from me eyes!

  20. #20
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Lilydale, Melbourne
    Posts
    2,093

    Default

    Do you still see any old Peugeots then, such as 404 or 504? I've only seen newer models such as the 206. When I was there one time it had just been launched, I think, and there were a couple of 206s on display in a shopping mall. Although there was also a gas station in Manila that I went past a few times on a bus and saw a 205 and a 309 GTI parked there each time. You might know this location, it was near Makati or somewhere like that, on one of the main roads. I was there again in April this year and I was looking for these cars again but didn't see them. I think I saw the gas station but not the cars.

    A few years ago someone on Aussiefrogs also posted a link to a picture of a 404 cabriolet that had been discovered rusting quietly somewhere in southern Philippines.

    Would love to see some pics of your Renaults.
    John W

    1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

    1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

    2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

    Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo



  21. #21
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default

    @peujohn

    Okay i will post a lot of pictures!

    I have a neighbor that came from the island of Bacolod, one of those Hispanic Filipino that has Peugeot 404 with small fins at the back! As I told you those in Bacolod got a number of classic Euro & American cars, that's the only place I have seen a stock running '55 Mercury, '57 Chevy, and a Jaguar E type! Seen one about 90 km north of Manila, Pampanga, a Renault Caravelle in the used car showroom!

    The area you have seen those Peugeot must be near Makati, it is a former military base called The Fort or you have seen a French diplomat car?

    I'll post the pic tomorow!

  22. #22
    My Supermodel 63-1092's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?
    Posts
    10,750

    Default



    Here's a old Renault you can still find in Thailand
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

  23. #23
    Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Parkes - N.S.W - Australia - Earth
    Posts
    12,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post


    Here's a old Renault you can still find in Thailand
    bloody 850 fiat look a like
    3 x '78 604 SL

    1 x '98 306 GTi6

    1 x secret project

    1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

    1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

    1 x 1994 605 SV3.0


    WTD long range fuel tank for 605

  24. #24
    Tadpole
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    13

    Default Renault pics

    Sorry my daughter took the picture, the detail are not that good!
    I'm still up north of Manila ( Ilocos Norte ).


    The R16TX is still got problem with the water pump, waiting for the part!


    R20





    R16TX








    Last edited by Bayyagg; 16th July 2011 at 12:13 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •