Reno R8
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Reno R8

Default Reno R8

Hi all,
    I have returned after a long absence, shifting house etc etc etc.
    It is time to start on the R8 project and I will start with a few pics of what I am up against. The engine is R12 with some work done to the head and cam shaft. The gearbox is extremly tight and close with no slop in the stick as per usual.
    Just had the calipers resealed and overhauled ready to go back on and bleed up.
    With the 13" inverted rims fitted the calipers rub on the rinside of the rim so I may have to shave the calipers to fit the wheels to the car. Performance of the car for the short road test that I have done without brakes has been great. The engine really pushes hard but I havent over extended the car as it has been sitting for some time. I have just eased it through the gears and got her to working temp. I have terrible slop in the steering rack and it looks as though it will need to be overhauled. I can move the steering arms at each end of the rack a good 25mm in and out before the wheels move. If anyone has a good rack they want to offload then let me know. I will advertise in the parts wanted.
    Anyhow keep posted as this is the start of the new Green Machine.
    Wayne

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-137-3757_img.jpg   Reno R8-137-3759_img.jpg   Reno R8-137-3762_img.jpg   Reno R8-137-3763_img.jpg   Reno R8-137-3764_img.jpg   Reno R8-137-3765_img.jpg  

Reno R8-137-3769_img.jpg  
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969
    Ford Single Spinner Ute 49

Default Reno R8

Hi Wayne,
    It seems we will be doing our rebuild in parallel, so I will be following your progress closely.
    I note in one of your pics, that you have a R8G front. Is it steel and where did you get it from. Also do you hve the lights to suit, again if so where did you get them from. Mine is R1132, but I am thinking of doing a R8G front, if it can be easily done. I have also heard of plastic fronts, do you know if they are any good?
    Angelo

Default Reno R8

Quote Originally Posted by R8 Dream View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    It seems we will be doing our rebuild in parallel, so I will be following your progress closely.
    I note in one of your pics, that you have a R8G front. Is it steel and where did you get it from. Also do you hve the lights to suit, again if so where did you get them from. Mine is R1132, but I am thinking of doing a R8G front, if it can be easily done. I have also heard of plastic fronts, do you know if they are any good?
    Angelo
    Hi Angelo sounds like a plan. I pick up my 8 tomorrow morning after 4 months in storage. While I was shifting house my mate at Ren Wreck had her in his workshop for safe keeping. As Ren Wreck is closing the doors I must get it out of the shop. This will now inspire me to get to work and start the resto. I will start posting picks of my resto and the first job is to weld the Gordini front panel in the car as I have cut the standard panel out last year while it was in my home workshop. The boot floor needs metal work so I will do the front end first. I have heard of a place for the after market plastic front panel, I have it here somewhere. I will look for you and let you know. Other major mods will be cutting the wheel arch's out and reshaping, flaring out new round wider ones. I will loose the flat top arch and create round wide arch's.
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Default R8 Reno

Yes, Ray Watson (aka geckoeng) from Perth makes them up, but I am concerned about availability of the lights to suit. If I don't find a source I will stick with the std ones.
    It sounds like you are handy with the sheet metal, so I will look forward to your progress. Good luck.
    Angelo

They are also available from mecaparts I believe. I have one in the garage I bought off Adam Spence, but not sure where it came from. The seven inch lights shouldn't be too much of a problem, the 5.25 you could use std R8 ones. Many years ago I put 7" Cibie Z beam conversion into a Honda Civic I had at the time. I bought new headlight buckets from a truck supplies shop; alternatively you could search around the wreckers for cars that had 7" headlights and see if any had suitable buckets.

KB
    KB

Default Reno Resto

Yes, Ray Watson (aka geckoeng) from Perth makes them up, but I am concerned about availability of the lights to suit. If I don't find a source I will stick with the std ones.
    It sounds like you are handy with the sheet metal, so I will look forward to your progress. Good luck.
    Angelo
    Hi Angelo
    I have a steel made up front panel which I am yet to strip down and see how good it is. It is raining bad here in Perth so I have only got the car on stands ready to start. On the weekend I will take a few pics and start the work. keep an eye out as we go along. I will contact Ray and see what he has been up to. In the move I somehow misplaced my front guards, I think they ended up being shipped out with opne of the other cars so know I am in need of a set of guards ????
    Before I put her up on stands, I charged the battery then fired her up, awesome motor, lumpy, load got balls. I found out the throttle cable wasnt set right and I was only getting half throttle, now that it is adjusted she jumps up. I had to stick to my street as it is not licenced and has no brakes. It felt good so first up is brakes, steering and radiator. Once they are good to go, then I will take her out for a real road test with a permit for the weekend.
    Keep posted
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Default R8 Reno

Hi Wayne,
    I thought the front (large) lights were 8", and not 7". If that is the case, I can find a few cars around that can do the job?
    Also I know what you mean about the guards, I pulled off the front and found some iffy repairs previously done (see pics).
    I will need to weigh up cost of repair vs good s/h ones.
    I would be interested in taking a look at the front panel after you have stripped it back.
    Angelo

Default R8 Resto

Hi Wayne,
    I thought the front (large) lights were 8", and not 7". If that is the case, I can find a few cars around that can do the job?
    Also I know what you mean about the guards, I pulled off the front and found some iffy repairs previously done (see pics).
    I will need to weigh up cost of repair vs good s/h ones.
    I would be interested in taking a look at the front panel after you have stripped it back.
    Angelo
    Angelo I will start the pics tomorrow of my resto. I had heard that Land Rover lights and tubs were the go. I have a correct set of lights large and small that came with my front panel. I will give you all the info soon. The other thing I need to look at are the shocks, again I heard that Mini Clubman shocks are the go ??
    Someone will comment if we are on the right track or not I guess.
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Quote Originally Posted by r8waynerenault View Post
    I have a correct set of lights large and small that came with my front panel. Wayne
    The large Headlights on Mad Max were not the correct type if that is what you're referring to but the buckets or tubs as you referred to them as would be. They (the headlights) were marchal's off a Peugeot or something similar being convex in shape rather than concave.
    KB
    KB

Default R8 Reno

Sorry KB, I don't know what you mean by Mad Max?
    I came across a mini at the wreckers on the weekend and noted they were 7" (convex) but had buckets and ring, but were 7", so I may be able to adapt, and just look for a headlight with concave glass.
    I am not building a "purist" racer, but want the agressive look of the R8G (ex bumpers!).
    See attached pic of something that I am aming for.

The Mad Max reference was for Wayne - that's his nickname for the Grey R8 in the photo which he bought off a friend of mine - the one with the dual headlight front end. He said it looked like something off the set of Mad Max!

I would measure the diameter of an R8G front light. I would be very surprised if they are 8" instead of 7". The two "industry std" headlight diameter in round headlights are 5.25 inch and 7 inch.

Some european websites talk about 180cm diameter (not specifically for R8Gs) which equates to 7.08 inch.
    KB
    KB

Default R8 Resto

Sorry KB, I don't know what you mean by Mad Max?
    I came across a mini at the wreckers on the weekend and noted they were 7" (convex) but had buckets and ring, but were 7", so I may be able to adapt, and just look for a headlight with concave glass.
    I am not building a "purist" racer, but want the agressive look of the R8G (ex bumpers!).
    See attached pic of something that I am aming for.
    Thanks for the pic. I really like the front air intake and it has given me an idea !!
    I have attached a few pics to help explain. Pic 1 is the look of the guards I am making for my 8. Pic 2 is the Perth R8 and headlight are correct. Pic 3 is my Green Machine and the lights were the same size but still looked great. Pic 4 is Mad Max front. Pic 5 more Mad Max.
    Wayne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-00001.jpg   Reno R8-dscf0063.jpg   Reno R8-122-2287_img.jpg   Reno R8-137-3782_img.jpg   Reno R8-08112008111-3-.jpg  
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Great project - I must say I've always loved the R8 shape although until very recently I had no idea it was a Renault. I love the twin headlight bumper-less look! Just out of interest, what does a complete (resto worthy) r8 go for these days? They're hard to find much info about in Aus.

Default R8 Resto

Quote Originally Posted by chez00 View Post
    Great project - I must say I've always loved the R8 shape although until very recently I had no idea it was a Renault. I love the twin headlight bumper-less look! Just out of interest, what does a complete (resto worthy) r8 go for these days? They're hard to find much info about in Aus.
    The old question, how long is a piece of string. You can go for ages and see none then every now and then they pop up or someone knows someone who is selling. Prices depend on the condition but for an average car you can pay between $2k to $5k. If you are looking for a real 8G then they can go as high as $14k to $20k. Parts for the R8 are available but you need to look worldwide not just Australia.

Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Fellow Frogger!

Hi R8 Reno, I'm currently building a R8 Gordini with racecar look. Will add new photo's later as it progressed some more. I found that the Golf Mk1 and Mk2 lights fit into the R8 with little modifications.

Will take pics as I go and update on the progress. Both headlight and spots fit perfectly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-226544_10150173755048002_685393001_6790881_6486432_n.jpg  

Default R8 Resto

Quote Originally Posted by Tljakes View Post
    Hi R8 Reno, I'm currently building a R8 Gordini with racecar look. Will add new photo's later as it progressed some more. I found that the Golf Mk1 and Mk2 lights fit into the R8 with little modifications.

Will take pics as I go and update on the progress. Both headlight and spots fit perfectly
    Very nice front end, what bottom front skirt are you using, looks like Subaru STI ??
    Your car is coming along great, it is going to be a real head turner.
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Default R8 Resto

I have started the strip on the mechanical and ordered the parts. I have attached some pics of the flogged out steering bushes, the engine that needs hoses and the front boot taht I will cut out the rust and fiberglass the floor. As it is not structual it will be fine.
    I am going to cut in a removal panel to access the steering rack as I need to take this out to have serviced.
    I am still tossing up if I will keep the bonnet scoops and fit them with LED lights ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-139-3920_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3921_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3922_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3923_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3924_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3925_img.jpg  

Reno R8-139-3926_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3927_img.jpg   Reno R8-139-3928_img.jpg  
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by r8waynerenault View Post
    Very nice front end, what bottom front skirt are you using, looks like Subaru STI ??
    Your car is coming along great, it is going to be a real head turner.
    Wayne
    Thanks Lot's of hard work went into the build and it's nice to find appreciation for it
    The front skirt is my own custom made design and looked like the previous posted pick a few months ago R8 Progress at last.
    Installed Golf Mk2 lights today and it makes a big difference to the look already.

From 3rd pic is the process I followed to fit the lights in the R8 housing.
    First i removed all the brackets and springs on the origional housing. The holding bracket on the golf light is a tight fit but it fits none the less. Only problem is the adjuster screws that space is needed for. Those I cut out with my Dremel. The golf light then gose right down to the sholder of the housing and I drilled holes through the base plate of the golf light on the same spots where the origional bracket and spring was rivited and secured it with screws.

There you have a brand new set of head lights. Inners was just as easy as I cut off the ears of the golf inners. they then fit nicely into the housings and can be secured on the sides with screws or rivets. Screws might be a better option if the light needs to be cnaged down the line.

On the shocks side I used Fiat 128 front shocks. A little modification is needed to get them fitted but they are stiffer than the mini ones.

Cheers
    Jaco
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-img_6.jpg   Reno R8-img_7.jpg   Reno R8-img_8.jpg   Reno R8-img_9.jpg   Reno R8-img_10.jpg  
    Last edited by Tljakes; 3rd July 2011 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Added Link

Default R8 front skirt

Thanks Lot's of hard work went into the build and it's nice to find appreciation for it
    The front skirt is my own custom made design and looked like the previous posted pick a few months ago R8 Progress at last.
    Installed Golf Mk2 lights today and it makes a big difference to the look already.

From 3rd pic is the process I followed to fit the lights in the R8 housing.
    First i removed all the brackets and springs on the origional housing. The holding bracket on the golf light is a tight fit but it fits none the less. Only problem is the adjuster screws that space is needed for. Those I cut out with my Dremel. The golf light then gose right down to the sholder of the housing and I drilled holes through the base plate of the golf light on the same spots where the origional bracket and spring was rivited and secured it with screws.

There you have a brand new set of head lights. Inners was just as easy as I cut off the ears of the golf inners. they then fit nicely into the housings and can be secured on the sides with screws or rivets. Screws might be a better option if the light needs to be cnaged down the line.

On the shocks side I used Fiat 128 front shocks. A little modification is needed to get them fitted but they are stiffer than the mini ones.

Cheers
    Jaco
    Hey Jaco do you have a skirt mold or did you modify a bought one ?
    What was the shock mods needed. Have you changed out the rear shocks yet ?
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Fellow Frogger!

Wayne skirt is totally custom made without a mold so a second one will not look the same. It started out as a block of Polystyrene that was cut and shaped to get the desired outcome and then covered in Glass Fibre. Here is a few pics of the progress as well as a shot of the color in daylight and the rear fender that was flared by welding in a plate with the required shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-img_0466.jpg   Reno R8-img_0542.jpg   Reno R8-img_0547.jpg   Reno R8-img_20110223_183223.jpg   Reno R8-img_20110507_131758.jpg   Reno R8-img_20110507_144144.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

On the shoks I did not take pictures during installation but I'll explain the process.

The top of the R8 shocks are only shafts where the Fiat ones have a tube. The tube can easily be romved from the shaft as it will not fit otherwise. The bottom part that needs to fit into the holders have protruding tubes that I cut off as you will clearly see that they will never fit. You also need to take off a bit from the sides of the bottom part of shock as it's around 3mm per side too wide to fit in the standard places. I got Gabriel Gas Riders which have 3 ride adjustments that can be mide. I prefer a stiffer suspention so mine was cracked up to the stiffest possible.

On the rear shocks the tubes fit so they wheren't removed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-dsc_0016.jpg  

Default R8 Shocks

On the shoks I did not take pictures during installation but I'll explain the process.

The top of the R8 shocks are only shafts where the Fiat ones have a tube. The tube can easily be romved from the shaft as it will not fit otherwise. The bottom part that needs to fit into the holders have protruding tubes that I cut off as you will clearly see that they will never fit. You also need to take off a bit from the sides of the bottom part of shock as it's around 3mm per side too wide to fit in the standard places. I got Gabriel Gas Riders which have 3 ride adjustments that can be mide. I prefer a stiffer suspention so mine was cracked up to the stiffest possible.

On the rear shocks the tubes fit so they wheren't removed
    So you purchased a set of front and rear shocks to suit Fiat 128 and you got the Gabriel Gas Riders. I will look into those here in Perth as opposed to the Mini Clubman.
    Wayne
    Wayne Vernon
    Reno R8 63
    Falcon XT GT 1969

Default r8 4headlight setup

hi guys,my r8 project is nearing completion after an enormous amount of work .i have a 4 headlight setup using the original r8 lights as inners and the outers are early mini buckets and surrounds.the headlights are 7 in flat inserts which i bought new on ebay .for around 50 bucks eachthe mini buckets are plastic and come with seal and all screws req.around $50 each new. here are a few pics .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-img_3575.jpg   Reno R8-img_3576.jpg   Reno R8-img_3577.jpg   Reno R8-img_3578.jpg  

That looks neat potenz.
    Tell us more about the history of the car and your plans for it....
    KB
    KB

hí kb the blue babe has been in the family for 27 years and has just been given a new life.my plans are to keep it in the family indefinately. it runs r10 mechanicals and is in fine fettle.mint r10 black interior,genuine gordini dash and steering wheel to be fitted.i also have a 1255 cc motor with weber and extractors which i will overhaul and warm up at a later stage.here are some more resto pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno R8-img_3550.jpg   Reno R8-img_3528.jpg   Reno R8-img_3551.jpg   Reno R8-img_3542.jpg  

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information