Chris W's Black BX 16 Valve
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Chris W's Black BX 16 Valve

Default Chris W's Black BX 16 Valve

1989 Citroen BX 16 Valve as seen in the Citroen ebay listings thread, I'm the third owner.

Basic plan is to tidy this up with Dad's help for a safety certificate and registration, then use it as a daily for the foreseeable future.

Car has done ~ 200 000k
    Ebay Photo:

Photos of the car when I inspected it - end of January:

En route home:

Home:

Jobs for the safety certificate - that I know of:
    Windscreen.
    Oil leaks: Camshaft cover - hope that's the cause of it.
    Hydraulic pipe leaks: Security valve & HP pump supply.
    Top engine mount.

Jobs for peace of mind:
    Timing belt, tensioners, water pump, accessory belt, & HP pump belt.
    New fluids/filters/plugs.
    Front Pads & Discs.
    ABS sensor wires.
    Check/Replace spheres, & grease front struts.

Please tell me if I've missed anything

So far: I've fixed the security valve leak; renewed the front pads & discs; had KenW remake the ABS sensor and Brake pad warning light wires (Thanks Dad); tried to correct the faded paint on the roof; changed the accumulator sphere and tested the others; unstuck the heater valve; replaced air filter.

I'm currently changing the timing belt and associated parts, as well as hopefully fixing the leaking camshaft cover with a new gasket and sealant.

Advertisement

In Dad's Shed

New discs, pads, & wires.

Roof during, I haven't taken an after photo yet.
    Last edited by frog; 2nd March 2016 at 06:05 PM.

This car needs a nickname...any suggestions?

Dave

Icon12

Thrilled to see you have started a thread on your progress, and that we have young blood taking a serious interest in an all but forgotten classic. That car couldn't be in safer hands - I refer to you and your family...

Your list is pretty spot on, have a really good look at all coolant hoses, these can be a car stopper if they let you down - we all remember my 16v at the All French Car Day a few years back

I'll be checking back here as you update... Nickname? Black Beauty?

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Your wasting your time with polish on that paint ................... Black is the easiest paint to match though ... and BX's will allow you to easily respray just the horizontal surfaces without blending issues into the rear quarter panels

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I spot a DS safari .... .... A project ??
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

The D isn't ours. Was at the place frog bought the Bx from.

Dave

Great colour! I have and will always have a big soft spot for these cars having owned 2. I didn't even know they came in black here. Best of luck with the resto
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Thrilled to see you have started a thread on your progress, and that we have young blood taking a serious interest in an all but forgotten classic. That car couldn't be in safer hands - I refer to you and your family...

Your list is pretty spot on, have a really good look at all coolant hoses, these can be a car stopper if they let you down - we all remember my 16v at the All French Car Day a few years back

I'll be checking back here as you update... Nickname? Black Beauty?
    Thanks a lot Chris, I eventually plan on buying and fitting a set of silicone cooling hoses from here:
    http://www.bakerbm.com/405.php?data=schkit16vbx
    Just have to decide between red and black, leaning towards black..

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Your wasting your time with polish on that paint ................... Black is the easiest paint to match though ... and BX's will allow you to easily respray just the horizontal surfaces without blending issues into the rear quarter panels

seeya,
    Shane L.
    PS: I spot a DS safari .... .... A project ??
    Hi Shane, the paint is pretty stuffed, but since that photo the roof has come a long way, after a fair bit of cutting with the rotary tool it looks presentable now. The (very)long term plan is definitely to re-paint it.
    Next time I can see the roof I'll take a photo, there's small mattress with a spare un-cracked windscreen sitting on it at the present.

Quote Originally Posted by zykyra View Post
    Great colour! I have and will always have a big soft spot for these cars having owned 2. I didn't even know they came in black here. Best of luck with the resto
    Thanks, I've not seen nor heard of another black one either - plenty overseas but not so here. I suspect I shall find out why next summer .
    Last edited by frog; 8th June 2011 at 06:12 PM.

Its gotta be called KITT
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Can I suggest checking the condition of the fuel hoses. They can be an issue in 205s, so don't see why they couldn't also cause problems in a BX.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

it's got to be a sheep of course

anyway check the O rings on the injectors, they are a known fire threat
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Thanks, I'll have a good look over the fuel system. I've had it running a few times and I've never smelt anything too worrying but it's definitely a good idea.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far, thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    it's got to be a sheep of course

anyway check the O rings on the injectors, they are a known fire threat
    Second on these. Know of one that went 'up' with this issue. So easy to replace for good peace of mind
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Dammery View Post
    Its gotta be called KITT
    Eartha.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Eartha.
    Very good Mr M!
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Big update on this.

It's finally registered.

After finishing the cambelt job, the plastic coolant union next to the water pump on the back of the block started to leak.
    The original O-ring that seals the housing to the block was completely flat and coolant was just leaking past, so this was replaced. The plastic union was also rebuilt with generous amounts of silicone sealant and the leak was cured.

Also had an accident with the lower bolt on the radiator, which is plastic. I began tightening it up after refilling the coolant only to find that it kept spinning.. and then the end of the plastic bolt fell off. Replaced it with a stainless M10x1mm, about 15mm long. Citroen apparently sell metal replacements for this bolt too so I guess it's a common problem.

Leaking plastic coolant union. (Water pump on the right, drive shaft covered in a rag on the left)

New Cam seals

New engine mount

The brake doseur valve was leaking so it was removed and refitted after replacing the main seal and the pipe seals. Getting access to it was fun.
    You can see it sneaking around the side of the engine in the photo below. Half way to freedom.

Whilst trying to diagnose why the reversing lights weren't working I found a bit of a problem under the battery tray. The main plugs that head off to the warning light loom had been melted at some stage by what looked like old battery acid.
    When I went to take them apart to clean up the connections they just broke apart in my hands. Ken W and I rebuilt the plugs with new plug bodies off a spare loom.

One of the better looking stuffed plugs

Another electrical problem we had was that the windscreen wiper motor would only work on high speed. I traced this down to some wiring in the scuttle that had been chewed through at some stage, luckily what ever was living in there only had a taste for wiper motor wires and all the other wires were intact.

The hazard lights were only working on the left side of the car, but the switch just needed a clean up and some encouragement.

New (old) windscreen from a wrecked car went in perfectly and saved me a lot of money.
    (Edit:This has now cracked in 2016, lasted 4.5 years)

The thermostat housing was leaking out of the top bleed screw, but we managed to stem this leak with a very cool o-ring from a medical oxygen regulator called a bodok seal.

A few hydraulic leaks were buttoned up with new hose clamps and some hydraulic selant, and the new cam cover gasket has stopped the oil leaks for the moment.

After cleaning up a lot of plugs and earths the car ran well with most of the warning lights off. So we headed off to get the road worthy, and came back with a registered 16v.

Made it to the QLD French car day on the 10th with no real dramas.
    Don't have any pictures to prove it though unfortunately.

Still a few jobs to do: the thermostat housing is weeping slowly (now from around the sides of the housing) despite our best efforts; the idle is still a bit interesting at times; the rear arm bearings need to be changed soon; and the heater valve has stuck its self open again, which isn't too bad I suppose considering it's winter.

Here is a photo of the roof, looking much better, still terribly weathered, but much much more presentable. (this is without wax, it looks a bit better now it's waxed)
    Last edited by frog; 2nd March 2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: More photos added

Icon12

Congratulations on getting her registered, looks sensational in black - when the time is right it won't take much to give the roof a respray, in the meantime you have her looking very respectable.

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

Default Update

Fixed the heater valve. Luckily it wasn't actually stuck, the cable that operates it was incorrectly fastened at the dash end.

Also fixed the 12 Volt output (Cigarette lighter) so it's stopped blowing fuses.

Installed much better headlights (and bulbs) that look brand new, they're around 6 years old, the difference is amazing.

Changed the gear box oil and engine oil/filter.

Greased up the front struts and they feel 100% better, this coupled with the Xantia front spheres makes for a very smooth ride.

Thermostat housing seems to have stopped leaking, though I have a new replacement for when it decides to leak again. Also got a new plastic union for the back of the motor. I'll change these when I eventually get the silicon pipes from bakerbm.

Weirdish noise coming from the power steering when on the power at around 1/2 lock? (Example:turning out of a T-intersection) Still turns smoothly. Will investigate further.

Rear arm bearings still need to be fixed :- that is next on the list.

Apart from that it's getting there.

Changing the gear box oil.

Last edited by frog; 2nd March 2016 at 06:12 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Just to prove you were there. Having owned a black Citroen I found the most appropriate name to be Batard Noir especially when working down behind the motor or up under the dash. Fun car to drive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chris W's Black BX 16 Valve-dscf1653.jpg  

Thanks for the photo and suggestion Allen.
    Le Batard Noir, after your CT, is now the front runner in the naming competition.
    Fun car to drive indeed! Do you miss your 16Valve?

Thats KenW's "Beast" to the left of it.

Took the rear arms off the car, the bearings were in worse shape than I thought, couldn't believe they were this bad. It'll need a full rebuild kit, not just bearings as we was hoping.

The car should feel much better once these are sorted.
    Last edited by frog; 2nd March 2016 at 06:14 PM.

UFO

Gee there's tonnes of life left in them yet....
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Update

Rear arm bearings arrived.
    http://www.eurocarcare.net/rear-susp...59/action/add/
    The Timken bearings look like a good thing, they have a flexible plastic cage retaining the bearings rather than a steel like the original bearings. After some reading this seems to be the way most bearing manufactures are going with their bearing cages.

We had the old bearing cups removed at DS motors.

New bearing cup.

Pressed in.

In.

Other side (remembering to place the plastic protector into the arm before installing the second bearing cup.

Diagram courtesy of Y. Narabayashi .

Rollers, Cone, Armbush, Seal, Grease, all on the metal spacer tube.
    Don't forget to put the original shim back between the Armbush and cone on the outer side of the rear arm.

Other side going on, silicon sealant on the seal.

Pressed; not the whole way, don't want to smush bearings into cups.
    They will tighten up agains the metal spacer tube once in the car and torqued up.

Car now rides very nicely at the rear, matches the ride of the front.

Also did some painting whilst the car was out of action waiting for bearings to arrive.
    The C-pillar and Numberplate area looked terrible.

Primed.

Straight off the pressure pack, my first time painting--mmm orange peel.

Lots of wet sanding to remove above orange peel.
    New paint all polished up.

Just need to put my side 16 Valve and rear ABS badges back on. Edit 2016: still haven't done that
    Last edited by frog; 2nd March 2016 at 06:20 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Enjoying following your refurbishment. This BX has found a very good home!

Icon12

Looking really good frog, and very satisfying to have performed this work yourself - respect!!

Cheers
    Chris
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

This car just got reversed into at my work. It was the only other car in the car park and the bloke still managed to hit it...

Edit: Tapatalk has lost the image, it was a splintered drivers side corner of the rear bumper.
    Last edited by frog; 2nd March 2016 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information