Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Default Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration

Very excited, just got delivery of my 1985 Fuego Turbo. On closer inspection the vehicle is in better shape then I originally thought.

The body has a few minor dings and some small rust spots, around the rear driver side wheel arch. so I will need some repairs done to the body but pretty straight in the scheme of things.

Engine and box feel pretty tight, though the clutch pressure plate may be on the go.

I'm pretty sure the shocks are the factory originals, they are long gone

Interior is really good except for some wear to the driver seat. Was amazed to find this has electric mirrors - not bad for 85

The rear windscreen turbo decal is faded and cracking, wouldn't mind getting that sorted - any suggestions??

Generally though the car feels great and like it has been well looked after. It seems to be really original and unmolested, so I'm going to leave it that way - still has the original am/fm radio cassette deck which I'll leave as is.

Advertisement

Was thinking of buying an electronic rust prevention system for it.....does anyone have any thoughts on these? do they work?

The car is a N.Z. import and hasn't been registered here so I'll have to get an engineers cert of approval but I don't think its going to take too much to get it registered.

I dont think you'll see much in the way of the technical stuff on this thread.....I once owned a Lada Niva and spent every weekend under.....funnily enough my desire for backyard tinkering went along with the car

But ill post some pics as I make improvements along the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2257a.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2259.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_0703.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2256.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_0704.jpg  
    85 Fuego Turbo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nice .... I'm a bit concerned the public won't be able to tell it's a turbo ... Maybe you should get some turbo badges for it

The drivers seats in most were that bad a decade ago!!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

No this isn't actually a turbo, its just the model name......you know it was all the rage in the 80's big loud decals - pretty sure the Nissan Bluebird had something similar.

I think I understand where your coming from......perhaps I'll get decals repainted
    fluorescent orange - thats bound to turn more heads
    85 Fuego Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by jbain88 View Post
    No this isn't actually a turbo, its just the model name.....
    huh???

Jo

dry humour
    85 Fuego Turbo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yeah I realise they were sold new like that I have some road tests on them here somewhere I'll post...... Eventually. Strange bit is the turbo ones are no faster than the 2litres.... I bet you could crank the boost up quite a bit though

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

dry humour
    Dry is an ocean to that..

Re stickers, there was a guy on ebay flogging of the side and rear stickers.
    I gave the details to bazz a few years ago, so maybe he can comment on them.

Re rust,

If you do go down the road of fitting an electronic rust prevention system, you'll get best results if you install a hyclone device and a brock fuel ioniser first.

Or you could try fishoil spray. Great for arresting the existing bubbles.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Congrats jbain88 on your acquisition of the Fuego Turbo from NZ. I think that now brings to about 5 the number now in Oz after Sanath has brought in a few from the UK, NZ and Sri Lanka. Got mine from NZ not long ago and just got it home yesterday from Epsom in Victoria after a full body respray in Dulux 2 pack in the original rouge colour. I had previously already done the underbody and chassis bits as well as engine bay and under the bonnet. Did find that the front guards had rusted near the doors as this model did not have the plastic inner guards of the later Fuegos but have now been fitted after replacing the guards. Best see if you can find and fit as well after treating any rust. Re Turbo stickers, as Jo says, I did get some from France and may have spares if you require. I only had them on the sides of my car and not on the window as now have a spoiler. Email me at [email protected] Can also email some restoration pictures if you want.

You will find the Turbo is better than the 2 litre version in torque, top end speed and fuel economy. This is despite the fact that the motor has done in excess of 200,000 miles and still goes strong. My seats are the same as yours but in much better condition on the driver's side.

You will have to have the car engineered before rego. In Canberra, I fitted side intrusion bars from rusted doors I had (have to modify them to fit into the doors), baby seat safety restraints as per the 2 litre Fuegos and a fuel emissions system (Turbo's petrol tank is different to the 2 litre) which required an extra line to the tank, a charcoal canister from a 2 litre Fuego and plumbing to the pressurised carby. I also replaced the front seat belts which were well worn. I can enlighten you on these modifications if you want via email or call me on 02/62584837. Once these were done the car passed rego OK.

bazzamac

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    You will find the Turbo is better than the 2 litre version in ....... top end speed
    I'm thinking thats purely accademic, Bazz.

I dont know what the top speed of a gtx is, because my balls always shrink after about 180 km/h.

If it were a little stiffer sprung, maybe I'd try for faster, but it all gets way too floaty for my sense of self preservation beyond that.

Jo

Thanks Jo & Bazza for the advice, no doubt I will be in touch. I understand that new club plate registration regulations are coming in in February 2011 which enable 90 days of log book driving per year. I may look at that a possible option. I suspect entail laxer registration standards i.e. intrusion bars and the like.
    85 Fuego Turbo

just a question Bazza, yours being from N.Z. also....is the odo in kilometres or miles?
    85 Fuego Turbo

1000+ Posts

Congrats re the Turbo, good to see them gathering in Australia. Bodes well for the future!

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh.

I take it you have spares, factory manual etc for the Fuego.

Glad you are trying to keep it original.

Happy to help in any way to get it on the road.

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Odometer was in miles with separate markings for kms/hour. Changed mine to a normal Fuego speedo with kms and has a better Commodore needle.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Odometer was in miles with separate markings for kms/hour. Changed mine to a normal Fuego speedo with kms and has a better Commodore needle.
    Ok, thought that might be the case. Interesting to know a commodore needle will fit - what year?

And thanks Ken, are you still in the RCCV?
    85 Fuego Turbo

1000+ Posts

Ok, thought that might be the case. Interesting to know a commodore needle will fit - what year?

And thanks Ken, are you still in the RCCV?
    Answer - yes. Missed the last meeting though.

Ken

why not a 2.0l turbo? huh!
    You will find the Turbo is better than the 2 litre version in ....... top end speed

Quote Originally Posted by le frogg 205 View Post
    WHy not a cast iron 2l turbo,huh.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by le frogg 205 View Post

Yeah I'm pretty sure someone had one of these in the pipeworks

The biggest flaw of the Fuego is the understeer, I wonder if the smaller block of the 1.6 L helps with taking some of the weight off the front end?? Time will tell I guess.

I had a look at the coolant today.... I think it was coolant but a little hard to tell, perhaps in N.Z. coolant is a rusty brown colour instead of green

Took the radiator out and gave it a good flush, seems to be keeping cool at idle with new coolant. It will do for the time being until I get a chance to take it into the mechanics anyway.
    85 Fuego Turbo

re last post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2434.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2433.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2432.jpg   Fuego Turbo - Partial Restoration-img_2430.jpg  
    85 Fuego Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

VL Commodore needles. Middle of the needle has to be adjusted to fit the spline on the Fuego speedo and rev counter. Any instrument shop should be able to do for a price. Mine cost $100 which I thought was a bit rich but then I could only find one shop in Canberra who would do the job.

As for having a 2litre Turbo, I am working only with what the car came with. If you want to go further I suggest obtaining the 2.2 litre engine from a R21 Turbo. I think there has been a previous thread on this about such a Fuego in Canada.

Yeah I'm pretty sure someone had one of these in the pipeworks

The biggest flaw of the Fuego is the understeer..
    I've never found it to be an issue.
    In fact on a skid pan I was by far the fastest car of the group.
    The biggest flaw I've discovered is the transient handling, the way the car behaves between steady state cornering.

You need to be going very fast to reveal the flaw, but do a few rapid changes of direction and you can almost flip it on a flat track.

Jo

So I have stumbled into my first problem. The water pump has a leak- a bad leak! I've called a few places and have been told the Fuego Turbo has 85L750 engine in it, and the water pump serial no # 7701462086 or 058. I'm going to pull it out and try putting in some sealant as a temporary measure. Anyone know where I might find this part. I'm down in vic but happy to get it shipped from where ever. I have tried Alpine Affair and Caravelle imports.

On the upside I have contacted vic roads re registration ( some would say this should have been done in the first place) and it would appear I only need to produce a the roadworthy cert and import papers to get her registered - no engineer cert required So I should have on the road sooner then expected!
    85 Fuego Turbo

Okay, so further enquiries indicate the engine is an A5L 750 engine - does anyone know if this is shared with other models. I have heard it could possible be a R16 block and possibly even be used in one of the alpines.
    85 Fuego Turbo

Okay, so further enquiries indicate the engine is an A5L 750 engine - does anyone know if this is shared with other models. I have heard it could possible be a R16 block and possibly even be used in one of the alpines.
    Ahh, now the electric pump concept falls into perspective.

Jo

huh??
    85 Fuego Turbo

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information