V8 505 - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: V8 505

Quote Originally Posted by stew View Post
    Robmac, what does "DP folder "mean, please Sir?
    Drop Box folder (on your PC) is what I intended to convey.

DP creeping in seems to be a kind of Freudian slip on my part ?

Advertisement

Oh thank you. I was trawling the internet seaching for DP on dropbox. No where did I find "dual purpose" for Dropbox!

I don't have time to spend learning by trial and error, a system to share my images, of my progress. I have much better things to do with my time. I need to rest and think about deleting the post. It isn't worth the effort.

I don't have time to spend learning by trial and error, a system to share my images, of my progress. I have much better things to do with my time. I need to rest and think about deleting the post. It isn't worth the effort.
    With the greatest respect it's a case of "I haven't got time to sharpen this axe",

ie You don't have time not to master the skill set.

Any skill acquired , especially in matters IT, is worthwhile.

It is really not that hard and thousands of people far less skilled than yourself have successfully mastered using drop box.

I take it , the image folder within your DB folder on your PC has green circle with a tick on it: this indicates that the folder is synced to dropbox and ready to share.

Thus:
    SYNCED.JPG

Try to follow step by step the "cheat sheet" I posted.

We have all been in similar situation where the first time takes forever and the it becomes much faster. You are right at the start of steep learning cure.
    Last edited by robmac; 7th May 2019 at 08:33 PM.

Fair enough Mate. It could be I need new prescriptions in my specs, too. I have time tomorrow to work out the DP and things. I think also the pC/laptops I was using do not have the RAM or hard drive to cope. My ipad or the ASUS will for sure.
    Salutes and leaves Sar Major's office!

Fair enough Mate. It could be I need new prescriptions in my specs, too. I have time tomorrow to work out the DP and things. I think also the pC/laptops I was using do not have the RAM or hard drive to cope. My ipad or the ASUS will for sure.
    Salutes and leaves Sar Major's office!
    In your drop box folder you should have a pdf file named "Getting started.pdf" this contains all the information you need. It is created when you install the Drop box software.

Best of luck
    Dano likes this.

Hope you can master the drop box folder Stew, as I am keen to see progress pictures.

Cheers
    Andrew

I managed to send an email to myself to access my images on dropbox. So I guess that is progress ( but a huge waste of time to me)
    Can I ask for guidance as to the supposed "Link"dropbox says it can make? All I get is a form asking for an email address!

Sounds to me that you possibly haven't set up the folder/ image to be shared items

If you don't set these to be shared DB assumes your are the only person authorized to view the image , and will prompt for credentials.

Try having a gander at this : the Getting Started guide -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mwq52jggb4...arted.pdf?dl=0

If you have successfully installed DB the getting Started guide should be in the DB folder, on your PC already.
    Last edited by robmac; 14th May 2019 at 07:48 PM.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I still think he's using the wrong motor .... .... All the effort for an old dinosaur doesn't seem right. I foudn this interesting ... the difference of a modern'ish motor (with probably twice the power and torque) versus the old dinosaur from Buick. Someone posted this a few days back on facebook.

My 93 RRC with me driving like normal to zealous chap, delivered the following unloaded, litres per 100, town/hwy:
    3.9 rover v8 28/23
    4.6 rover v8 33/23
    5.7 LS1 v8 20/13
    This is with 35 tyres, steel front and rear bars, winch etc
    Does someone want to fit an LS1 to my old shitbox for me .... I'm guessing the hardest bit is stopping the rest of the driveline going "bang".

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Oh, so lovely to be judged by those who can't do, Shane L. Please don't dirty my little bit of sharing on here, with your knowledgeable input, again.
    1 hr.

And now I find your Humour.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by stew; 14th May 2019 at 08:34 PM.

I get invalid URL if I login to google
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Yeah, sorry Stew, but I imagine it's a similar issue to Dropbox - you have to share the photos or folders with everyone for us to see them.

I have both Dropbox and Google accounts, but have never used either to make photos public (ie. share with everyone). I haven't yet found a way of doing this with Google photos, but it does look possible with Dropbox. If this works, I'll document the process. Please excuse the non-Peugeot photo(s)

Bingo!

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 16th May 2019 at 12:01 AM.

1000+ Posts

OK - I have a recipe that works for displaying individual photos that are hosted on Dropbox.

Right-click on the photo, and select "Share".

A pop-up box appears, labeled "Share". Go to the bottom RH corner and click on "Create link". (Ignore all the other stuff). You should now be able to paste the link into your post.

The bottom RH corner of the Dropbox popup window should now show "Link settings . Copy link". "Link settings" allows you to control things like whether or not other people can download a copy of your file. "Copy link" copies the link to your clipboard, ready for pasting.

Once you have the link pasted into your post, there's one more step. Delete the last 4 characters (always dl=0) and type in raw=1 after the '?'. Don't delete the '?', and make sure that no spaces sneak in.

Before:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz5c3j87rz..._1908.JPG?dl=0

After:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz5c3j87rz...1908.JPG?raw=1

Now if you put "[IMG]" before the link and "[/IMG]" after the link (without the rabbit ears) it will display in the post. {Thanks Shane}. Note - this only works with the raw=1 option.

Time to try a folder. Looks like it's the same process, but no editing required:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/65pm6x7j6...zOzjOrJVa?dl=0

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 16th May 2019 at 12:07 AM.

1000+ Posts

After testing the above links, it is easier for the reader if you paste an individual link to each picture. However it is of course much quicker for the poster to post a link to the folder containing the pictures, especially if there's more than 2 or 3 of them.

The problem with a link to the folder is that you need a Zip file manager to open the compressed folder, and let you view the files. Haven't tried this on a phone - it is slow on my PC, but it does work.

Of course the big advantage of using Dropbox over uploading photos directly to your post is the size and resolution - you can put decent quality pictures in Dropbox. The downside seems to be that you still can't get them to display in the post - you just see the link.

Cheers

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    After testing the above links, it is easier for the reader if you paste an individual link to each picture. However it is of course much quicker for the poster to post a link to the folder containing the pictures, especially if there's more than 2 or 3 of them.

The problem with a link to the folder is that you need a Zip file manager to open the compressed folder, and let you view the files. Haven't tried this on a phone - it is slow on my PC, but it does work.

Of course the big advantage of using Dropbox over uploading photos directly to your post is the size and resolution - you can put decent quality pictures in Dropbox. The downside seems to be that you still can't get them to display in the post - you just see the link.

Cheers

Alec
    It may be easier for the person posting to use individual links.

However it's PITA for the person viewing.

If you link to a folder all images, past and present are displayed,

Here is a linked folder without any use of "zip manager" it is simply a link the same as an image.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3jighquuq...s6EV7gDPa?dl=0

1000+ Posts

OK - I've tried sharing a different folder (edited my earlier post). It now works similarly to yours, but I still don't have the simple interface with the large thumbnails. Looks like trying raw=1 on the folder link compressed the whole folder into a zip file - still useful for single photos as it gives a simplified view of the photo.

Point is, it does take a bit of trial and error, and we are still not getting identical results.

Keep at it Stew ! I would give Google a miss, and try creating the link in Dropbox (using the Sharing procedure).

Cheers

Alec

Keep at it Stew ! I would give Google a miss, and try creating the link in Dropbox (using the Sharing procedure).
    And do read the Getting started guide for DB.

Hopefully in your local DB folder by now and definitely in post 34.

Why not just host the photos on ?

--click "go advanced" if using quick reply

--click "Manage attachements" ... if the dialogue box will not load properly... give it 30seconds then hold down [cntrl] and press [R] ..... So reload the dialogue box.

this is all I could get to load ... but close enough. it doesn't matter. Click the "Add Files" button. Note: clicking the "+" button will allow you to upload multiple images at once.

select a file on your hard disk and click "upload".

This will show the link to the photo in the text. If you use the "IMG" tags you can show the image in the post.

eg:
    [ IMG ]http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113790&d=1557880034[ /IMG ]

without the spaces will show:

seeya
    Shane L.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Good Lord!

Default V8 505

The Tapatalk app is the easiest way to post pictures on Aussie Frogs. Literally click upload, select image and its done. Displays as per (low quality image) below:

Very much looking forward to following the V8 505 progress. A 505 with the V6 coupe engine was alway a dream of mine.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    The Tapatalk app is the easiest way to post pictures on Aussie Frogs. Literally click upload, select image and it’s done. Displays as per (low quality image) below:

Very much looking forward to following the V8 505 progress. A 505 with the V6 coupe engine was alway a dream of mine.
    About 30years ago my uncle put the Rover V8 into a poo brown volvo 244 automatic .... It still around down in melbourne. It sure does make the old cars more exciting to drive. And likely weighs less than the cast iron 4 banger you have removed! The 505 should be the all alloy PRV ... so it's probably quite a bit heavier than that.
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

Thanks Shane for the tip about "[IMG]" "[/IMG]" wrapped around a link. Works a treat!

I realise that the pictures are much more likely to stay with the post if uploaded to AF (anything hosted elsewhere is prone to being moved or deleted - leaving the post with broken links), but you can show much larger and better resolution pictures by hosting them on another site.

Cheers

Alec

IWS

I wonder if it might be easier for Stew to email the photos (as attachments) to someone here who knows how to upload them?

Ian.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information