• 1 Post By Fingers_NZ
  • 4 Post By Fingers_NZ
  • 1 Post By Fingers_NZ
  • 2 Post By Fingers_NZ
  • 1 Post By Fingers_NZ

Thread: DS21 in NZ

Tadpole

Default DS21 in NZ

Hi there, I've been looking through a lot of the threads here and finally have cause to post. I recently collected my dream car, a 1971 DS21 Pallas. I've wanted one since I first saw them as a kid, and finally picked up a project. It's had a couple of people try to start the restoration but not get very far, then it sat for ten years in a shed. The cant rails have been sorted, and the c-pillar has been attacked. It still needs some attention around the boot, right hand sill and the bottoms of the doors. I'm thinking I'll get the chassis media blasted first and fix anywhere there's holes there shouldn't be, then move on to the exterior panels and interior. There are a couple of boxes of bits that I'll have to figure out where they go so any help would be greatly appreciated along the way. I'm hoping this should take about five years to get back on the road.

Having trouble uploading photos, they're all too big. Will post some asap.

Advertisement
    forumnoreason likes this.

Did you go with a bvh?
    If so there is much to know...

Iíve started on a 74 DS23 5 speed manual with Carb myself and even though Iíve owned a d special (many moons ago) it feels exciting to get amongst the new challenges.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

Fellow Frogger!

Congratulations on taking the plunge! I think 5 years might not be an unreasonable assessment - that probably means you are approaching this 'eyes open' and not with unreasonable expectations.

I'm UK based, but i believe there is a very active Register of Ds in NZ and so, presumably, an active group of enthusiasts to tap into. I don't know what part availability is like in NZ, but we have one of your countrymen slumming it over here in the UK - Darrin who runs "Citroen Classics" with his wife Kris.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Tadpole

It's a five speed, I'm quite partial to manual cars, even though the BVH does look quite special.

I've just joined the local Citroen club so will check out parts availability soon. I've already ordered a few small pieces from Citroen Classics, they have a good selection.

I'm really enjoying it so far even only if I'm a couple of weeks in, I've almost finished the dash. Paint stripped it last weekend and will repaint and reassemble it this Sunday.

Yeah I thought five years would be a realistic time frame, for saving a bit of cash for parts, and carrying out most the work myself. I've just finished building a kit car and it took me two years longer than my first guess. Postage of repair panels to NZ won't be cheap.

Tadpole

Some pictures of the project. Loving it. After 10 years sitting in a farm shed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fingers_NZ; 1st March 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Tadpole

First time out in the sun for a while.
    Last edited by Fingers_NZ; 1st March 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Tadpole

Its new home, probably need a bigger garage! The spare room may get used as a bit of storage space.
    Last edited by Fingers_NZ; 1st March 2019 at 07:14 PM.

Tadpole

Interior needs a little work too

Must be a forum thing, I can only post one small picture at a time.
    Last edited by Fingers_NZ; 1st March 2019 at 07:15 PM.

Good cars have that look about them....that looks like a good car! Congrats. Nice shed.
    Current Garage:

'07 C5 Wagon
    '57 DS19
    '51 11BL
    '55 Big 15
    '56 Bentley S1

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers_NZ View Post
    IMG_2218.JPG

Must be a forum thing, I can only post one small picture at a time.
    Yes. You've joined at *just* the wrong time to be starting a restoration thread......It's only possible to attach much smaller images than previously - and possibly only one at a time. Even then - as you have found out - the reader doesn't get the instant gratification of a picture to look at, they just get a link to click. All in all it's lost a lot of it's visual appeal and immediacy. On the plus side, it is possible to make bigger pictures available, and visible, by loading them up to a third party image hosting site and then posting the link here on Aussiefrogs.

It's not as a result of the website changes, but I've been documenting my own restoration journey on a website blog.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Middlemoon.1 View Post
    Good cars have that look about them....that looks like a good car! Congrats. Nice shed.
    Thanks, yes it's pretty solid apart from the boot and c-pillars, and mostly all there. It still needs the lower central part of the dash that covers the heater controls, a rear view mirror, and wiper arms. The mirror will be easy but the other bits I think I'll have source locally.

Strange about the photos, as you say, not the instant gratification of other forums.

Instant gratification is still available, but it's just little bit more fiddly now

Le Parisian likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I usually upload the images via "Post Quick Reply" image icon and the "Attach" text appears, once for each image. Still need to load them individually, but can do multiples in the same post.

Then I go to Advanced more find the paper clip icon, next to the paper clip is a drop down arrow. Click on the arrow, not the paper clip (or you will end up elsewhere). The below screen should appear. It's then just a matter on clicking on each one of the files names that appear below, one at a time and the images will magically appear. I delete the attache text and post. Hope this helps

Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Tadpole

Thanks, I've adjust the pictures above.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.

Welcome to the forum I can't tell what part of NZ your based but since you have what looks like a Lancia Stratos in the shed I'm guessing the Waikato where every second stable has an Italian classic.
    We are all interested in your progress and looks like you picked up a solid example.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

Thanks. I'm not far from Christchurch, but yes there certainly are a lot of Italians up north. That's the car I finished about a year and a half ago, it's a Lister Bell Stratos replica, and took four years to build. I enjoyed building it so much I decided I needed another project, and seeing as the DS is my second favourite car ever it was the natural choice.

Last edited by Fingers_NZ; 2nd March 2019 at 12:24 PM.

Aha are you Paul from FB Italian racers NZ Lister Bell posts....small world. My 124 coupe projects where sold after moving to OZ. Still have a restored 132s with 124 coupe 5 speed box and 2.0l Argenta bottom end and modified 124 head.
    Back back to the French. Keep us updated.

Tadpole

Oui, c'est moi! Small world isn't it. I've always had Fiat's and Lancia's, except for the BX I had on my OE in London.
    dimistyle likes this.

Yep BXs were fun cars. The wife and I went through a few early models.

Tadpole

Well the dashboard is just about finished. I paintstripped it, removed a little light rust, repainted and reassembled it over the last couple of Sundays. I've also got a radio faceplate from Citroen Classics to fit once the radio arrives. This will all sit on the shelf under a blanket now until it's ready to go back in. The dash top needs recovering, I'll see if there's someone who can do it locally, otherwise I'll have to send it up to Auckland, which I don't really want to do as postage will be very expensive.

I think the next step will be to pull the roof off and clean up the metal around the edge. The cant rail has been replaced by a previous owner but the paint prep wasn't too good and it's flaking off in places. I want to sort that out.

I need to find the heater control cover for a Pallas, any ideas where I could source one? The usual online shops don't seem to list them.

Before and after shots, as I received it and how it is now.

GreenBlood and Le Parisian like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Looks a whole lot better So did you respray it with wrinkle paint? if so - what did you use as it looks great.

Tadpole

Yes I'm a bit of a fan of the wrinkle paint, I used it on the cam covers and inlet plenum of the Alfa engine in the Stratos too. I like to give it a couple of coats as per the instructions, then help it along with a heat gun. It always produces a nice hardwearing finish. I use this stuff, https://www.repco.co.nz/en/brands/vh...5ml/p/A1056242
    Le Parisian likes this.

Thread Information