Resurrecting a Goddess.......Twice - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 4 First 1234
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Resurrecting a Goddess.......Twice

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by faulksy View Post
    I'm very tempted to replace the D-Jetronic with megasquirt or something similar but really wanted to see what shape the engine was in before reinventing the wheel. The biggest fear was that I'd go to through the whole exercise and then have to troubleshoot a 3rd party custom EFI setup on top of sorting the engine. Turns out the D-Jet system is amazingly robust. Since I've owned the car its been shorted out, burned, flooded and yet still works perfectly!

https://youtu.be/0nRa7isdL8k

There's something to be said for German engineering! It's running a bit rough but no worse than it has since I've owned it. Seems to have a slight miss which occasionally caused some jerkiness while cruising. No idea what causes it and have replace or adjusted everything I can think of.

The real draw of megasquirt is that it's almost plug and play with D-Jet.
    Faulksy. Youíve heard me say it before. Mega squirt and one less thing to go wrong. Combined with 123 it should run beautifully

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default Episode 18: The insulation game

I decided to take a break from the oily bits over the last few weeks as I was a bit over being covered in LHM. Fortunately there are plenty of other jobs that need looking at with the next one being tidying up the interior. Following the fire, I ripped up all the carpet on the sills and pulled up the insulation on the front floor as there wasn't much of it left. This just left the insulation on the rear floor to pull up which turned out to still be wet and hiding puddles in the ribs of the floor. Unfortunately doing this also removed a lot of the paint leaving behind a patchwork or bare steel, aluminium foil, factory undercoat, black paint and glue. The thought of wirebrushing the floorpan brought back many painful memories of blisters and grazed knuckles from the first time I stripped it so I went hunting for a better solution. I'm sure many of you are familiar with flap wheels and the like but they were new to me and what a revelation they are.

It took about 3 hours to remove all the old paint, a vast imporvement on the entire day it took last time. A liberal coating of rust converter saw to the remaining problem areas. It is really amazing how much the floors flex as you move across them. Stage 2 of the plan was brought into action and called for more of my old friend, black paint.

That's better! I left the front floor alone as removing the old insulation didn't damage the paint underneath. A good clean with some solvent took care of the glue residue. As with the firewall the whole floor got a layer of heavy butyl matting. It's roughly equivalent to the bitumen mats originally used.

Laying this stuff made a huge difference. The floor no longer acts like a giant bass drum giving only a dull thud when hit as opposed to a thunderous boom without the mats. The final layer is an acoustic foam made up of two layers with different densities laminated together. If nothing else it makes the floor more comfortable to sit on. hopefully it lives up to the claims made by the marketing team

Just about ready for carpet which I have yet to order.
    gsowner84 and ramonm like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Fast work! I should be bringing my car back home (again) this weekend. It's been offsite for nearly 12 months while we've had building work done. With that nearly done and the car away, I've taken the opportunity to paint the garage walls and floor. So it is going to be a nicer working environment when the car is finally back. First job will be to strip and repaint the engine bay. Flap wheels are already purchased!
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Fellow Frogger!

Default Episode 19: The Big Move

I can't say stripping and painting the engine bay will be a lot of fun. 50 years worth of baked on LHM........

Body work always looks a lot worse before it gets better. I'm currently in the process of dismantling all the panels for painting, the colour has yet to be decided.

It's been a busy few weeks. All hydraulic systems have been restored to a functional state and by some minor miracle seem to be working as intended apart from an issue with the front suspension but more on that later. As well as that the car now has a new home occupying a corner of a workshop generously loaned by a club member. All the spare parts the have occupied the boot for the last 6 months had to be emptied and packed up for the trip. Having the car drivable made loading it onto a trailer a piece of cake. It wasn't till I drove it up the driveway to the workshop that I realised how out of adjustment the BHV system has gotten. Not entirely surprising seeing as every part has been rebuilt but it's another job to add to the list. Current plan of attack is to prepare the panels and send them off giving roughly a month to fit the new interior and sort the last few wiring / mechanical items before the panels come back.

The warm weather last weekend seemed like the ideal time to fix the ruined dashboard. Since the fire I've accumulated 5 dashboards in varying states of completeness. Most of them are unusable for my car as they are from manual cars and the ignition is on the wrong side but between all of them there is enough plastic parts to build one complete dashboard. and now for the before shot

The whole dash was covered in a tar like substance from the melted plastics and rubbers which had to be cleaned off to reveal the paint below.

The whole panel was taken back to bare steel. By chance there was one other panel with the ignition on the left so it was prepped as well. I figured why not double the chances of getting a decent dashboard.

After painting

It came up really well, the trick i've found is to apply plenty of heat while the paint is drying otherwise the wrinkle effect can become patchy and uneven. Now to sort out all the plastic parts.....
    GreenBlood, Budge, ramonm and 1 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice. I'm sure I've seen a Youtube video where they do just that: they applied a heat gun after spraying the paint and the dashboard wrinkles suddenly magically appeared.
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

Looks great Faulksy !
    1974 DS23 ie Pallas 5 speed

Page 4 of 4 First 1234

Thread Information