• 1 Post By GreenBlood
  • 1 Post By mnm
  • 2 Post By mnm
  • 4 Post By mnm
  • 3 Post By mnm

Thread: Furnishing Francois

mnm

Default Furnishing Francois

Now that the dust has settled I thought it appropriate to begin a thread on the plans I have for Francois...all cosmetic.

The first couple of tasks have already been completed, the fitting of the Sombrero hubcaps as pictured and the drilling of holes in the doors to fit two rear view mirrors. The car already had a clamp on mirror of the period but I prefer the extra vision afforded by the two Cipa mirrors. I had these re-plated in a quality chrome and have installed the new mirror and silicon surround kits so hopefully they will stand the test of time better than the originals.

Advertisement

The first big job will be the fitting of a Pallas ceiling headliner. I was fortunate to come across an advertisement for all the bits required for the fit out on a French site. The seller happily agreed to ship it to Australia.

So with all going well, this

will become this..

As stated in the Appreciation thread, there are no rules with this car given its "Frankenstein" like creation. There are already many Pallas features on the car, some from different years. I know it deserves to be taken to the next level given the work that went into it previously.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 21st November 2018 at 04:43 PM.

Tadpole

Sure the hood will look good when done. Where did you source the silicon surrounds for the mirrors?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by slough View Post
    Sure the hood will look good when done. Where did you source the silicon surrounds for the mirrors?

Here's the link. It's a fiddly job geting the new mirrors and trim in place but just be patient and follow the instructions.

Retrospec Parts

There's a join in the rubber trim which is barely visible once assembled.

UFO

Here's a post of mine from 2011.

Refurbish DS mirrors - and perhaps others

Just remember, as Matthew obviously knew, NEVER think "It'll work better if I just trim a bit off".

Those trims were still on UFO when I sold her a few weeks ago and looked good as new.
    mnm likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Tadpole

Thanks for the info gents

mnm likes this.

they are a pita to fit but when you get the hang of it still a pita. Good they last Craig btw. That D is awesome Matthew, congrats.
    mnm likes this.

1000+ Posts

Beautiful outcome, suites my OCD too.
    mnm likes this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

mnm

My headlining kit arrived the other day so first piece of the puzzle is the main roof lining. It just comes as a square piece of foam backed velour so I had to trim it to size first.

Now, in my youth I used to make my own clothes so I decided to pin half of the lining to the ceiling first (I left the original vinyl liner in place), sprayed the adhesive down the middle of the liner and the ceiling and glued that in place first. I'm using 3M general adhesive. Seems to work very well. Both sides went tacky quite quickly. Once applied it can be withdrawn and adjusted if needed but that wasn't necessary.

I then kept going in the same direction and finished the left side. You can just make out the pins in the pic. Removed them from the other side and finished off the right side. Easy. I was expecting problems with the curve of the roof and creases but it's really quite flat, so no issues there. Next will be some re wiring for the two Pallas interior lights and then fitting of the side trim.

The ability to fold down the seats to make a flat bed also helped.

Matthew
    Last edited by mnm; 29th November 2018 at 06:25 PM.
    GreenBlood and JohnW like this.

thats a good effort Matthew, I've seen a vid where the guys reline the roof with it off and on a table. and a wittle woller to smooth it out.

mnm

Work continues on the headlining. First job today was wiring in the two side pallas lights. I love the warm glow these old lights emit and the diffusion by the lenses... and practically it’s a very bright cabin with two lights installed.

After that I had to fit the two side strips which hold up the trim. These are simply held in place by a series of metal clips. There are four separate brackets which mount across the windscreen cantrail separately.

I then stretched and fitted the velour fabric over the front piece. There are little spikes on the outer side which hold the fabric in place.

Once all all the clips and brackets are lined up correctly it was just a matter of clicking them into place. It’s a good firm fit and finishes off the ceiling nicely.

Rear section still to go... tomorrow.

Matthew

mnm

These are the spikes on the rear of the back section.

The section which runs across the top of the rear window had to be glued in place. Fitting the extremities of these pieces and then stretching them over the moulding removes any creases in the fabric.

Matthew

mnm

Here's the rear section installed. Two clips on either side and the rear part slots into the rear window rubber seal. Just the c pillar trim to do now and it's down... and i'll probably never look at the ceiling again! lol!

mnm

So here is a comparison between an original C pillar trim and the new reproduction. The old has foam atop cardboard, the new foam on fibreglass.

And here they are installed.

Matthew

Icon6

Brilliant Matthew!! . . .and what a find the lining kit was, well done, transforms the car

Cheers
    Chris
    mnm likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Brilliant Matthew!! . . .and what a find the lining kit was, well done, transforms the car

Cheers
    Chris
    Thank Chris. Yes very happy with the result. All these years of trawling the net for parts and I had never seen the kit for the pallas headlining. Looks like those Pallas cabin lights draw a lot of power... all the work I've been doing has flattened the battery! LOL!

Matthew

1000+ Posts

Warm white LEDs, more efficient, more light and same colour temp? Just the fittings might be odd to find the right parts. Again once in you will never look at them again.

mnm

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Warm white LEDs, more efficient, more light and same colour temp? Just the fittings might be odd to find the right parts. Again once in you will never look at them again.
    Yes that has been suggested however the original bulbs have a cool diffusion pattern on them and I have a box of NOS spares. My OCD coming out.

1000+ Posts

ba9s I am sure you can get them somewhere.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

mnm

After much trawling on the net I managed to score a NOS Pallas ashtray for François. I had almost given up the search as they were proving to be unobtainable. Plenty of the other types available but not the pallas one. Anyway, it arrived today and will now sit there with never a cigarette butt to be stubbed in it!

Matthew

mnm

Hello all and happy new year.

The next item on the agenda was to fit the two Pallas sun visors. I was very lucky that the supplier of the headlining kit also included the little trim pieces for either end of the sun visor mounting bracket.

That job done, I press fitted the Pallas door trim strips I had purchased a while ago. I decided to use double sided tape with these rather than drill numerous holes in the doors to fit mounting clips.

The only issue here was the strips for the rear fenders... there is a definite kink in the strips supplied but my earlier fenders have a subtle curve in the rear rather than a kink so I had to do a little manipulation to straighten out the kinks and then put a slight curve in the strip so it would sit flat to the fender and not lift. Not that difficult, the strips are quite malleable.

And here is the result... they add a nice touch to the car in keeping with the other cosmetic work I've completed. The advantage of using the tape is I could make minor adjustments to the placement of each strip so the line of sight is straight. The door panel alignment is pretty good so not much in it really.

Last edited by mnm; 11th January 2019 at 02:21 PM.

mnm

Moving back into the cabin, I sourced a chrome trim piece for the radio cubby hole... teamed with the ash tray it gives the dash a lift. I was expecting it to be chromed plastic but it's metal.. quite solid.

Last edited by mnm; 11th January 2019 at 02:43 PM.

Thread Information