• Register
  • Help
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By calgooley
  • 1 Post By calgooley
  • 2 Post By Peter Chisholm

Thread: 403 1961

Default 403 1961

I am soon ready to plod along with my resto of the 403. Still have to replace the air compressor to finish sanding old paint and to paint undercoat and top coats.Most probably will go with a Honda powered one altho quite expensive.I now have an electronic distributor to install obtained from der franzose. Should help a lot with tuning twin carbs. Needing to source laminated windscreen and 403 extractors.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

My new compressor is turning up this week so work on the body can continue. I am going to start her up and go for a short drive today. Have just commenced trying to get interest and support for the run to Phillip Island and thus get other 403 owners to finish their project cars .

For the laminated windscreen try Moran Motor Glass in Qld. They still had them 5 years ago when I contacted them - cost with freight was about $430. (07)33908855 136 Ingleston Road Tingalpa 4173.
    Ron Gruber had a batch of 403 extractors made up a year or so ago, but they have all been sold.
    Cheers
    Jon

VIP Sponsor

As an aside National Windscreens have 404 screens for $150 not fitted, $280 fitted.

The new compressor is in the shed and needs final assembly.I bought a BE brand with a Chonda motor and it has electric start.....I have a shot right shoulder so this should make The job a bit easier.Im hoping to get the lammo w/screens a bit cheaper than that pontarriere. Hopefully some more 403 extractors can be manufactured also. Will need some advice on setting up the twin solex carbs on my inlet manifold. Still working on some photos of my resto to post. Hope your 403 restos are progressing well.

The new air compressor is running sweetly and have recommenced the paint stripping. I had a mate come and assist with the drivers fr mudguard which was a bit sorry looking. Will get the minor rust repair done soon. Need to find the correct coil for the electronic distributor and buy new leads. I have 2 good Solex 34s to put on. Ive I been busy restoring my 505 GTD turbo as well.

Peter Chisholm likes this.

I'm using standard leads and coil and car starts v easily. Also have sourced a set of headers for the motor and have got a new tinted lam windscreen. No progress on the twin carb setup as yet. I have the 505GTD turbo running well and have just returned from the ACT in it after attending tje Peugeot Pageant....goes well but may swap over the injectors as I have put in ones from a 2.3l motor.......don't know if they have larger injection, so could get more power.

Hey Cal, we are all busting to see some photos!
    Dano and Mike Tippett like this.

Sorry about lack of photos everyone. My computer expertise is lacking in this area. Will keep trying, in meantime the resto has progressed to near completion of paint strip and primer cover. Hope to get to top coat painting next week. Can't wait to get on the road with her. Hope all your 403's are running sweet and looking forward to our meeting up next March at Phillip island.

Cal, the lack of photos is sadistic. I'm sorry but there are many followers of your endeavours who salivate whenever you have a new post. They salivate at the prospect of you conquering the pic posting process and therefore being enraptured with your pics. So far, crestfallen is not a strong enough word.

calgooley.
    If experiencing trouble tuning your twin Solex set up ie running rich at half/full throttle try larger air bleed jets.
    This was the case back in the day with twin Strombergs on grey Holdens.

Thread Information