Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer

Tadpole

JohnW,

The door handles being the same as the early 4CV, hopefully means I may have some luck finding a couple of the. The drivers door outside handle it broken and the passenger one is showing signs of cracking.

My late father in law would always warn me about the brakes and tell a few horror stories.

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

PM me your contact details and address and I'll ask around the 4CV Register membership for you. They are diecast and can deteriorate in surface finish. I've never actually broken one but I imagine it has happened. You can buy them on ebay France from time to time. At worst I'll find a couple to at least lend you to check the size!

Which side(s) do you need?

Cheers
    Baby1942 likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

R8G

Was great to meet Sam and yourself at the RCCA club meeting last week Peter and I'm looking forward to seeing the family heirloom revived and rolling on the road soon.
    Loving the photos you're posting.

Regards,
    Jason
    JohnW likes this.
    Jason Emmelkamp
    President, Renault Car Club of Australia

• 1967 Renault 8 Gordini
    • 2006 Renault Megane BO 225 Cup
    • 2014 Renault Fluence (Ph.2)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    PM me your contact details and address and I'll ask around the 4CV Register membership for you. They are diecast and can deteriorate in surface finish. I've never actually broken one but I imagine it has happened. You can buy them on ebay France from time to time. At worst I'll find a couple to at least lend you to check the size!

Which side(s) do you need?

Cheers
    Thank you JohnW. It is the drivers side which is broken. I have a photo of the passenger side here.
    Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer-img_1531114327.363616.jpg

Silly question, on the 4CV is the door handle a pull to open or turn to open? I have been looking a photos of 4CV online and it looks like a pull to open, the tourer is a turn to open.

Aha, it is indeed different. More of the art deco than the post-war handles, which were more your sleek cetacean. Do you have contacts in France?
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Aha, it is indeed different. More of the art deco than the post-war handles, which were more your sleek cetacean. Do you have contacts in France?
    Unfortunately no.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by R8G View Post
    Was great to meet Sam and yourself at the RCCA club meeting last week Peter and I'm looking forward to seeing the family heirloom revived and rolling on the road soon.
    Loving the photos you're posting.

Regards,
    Jason
    Hi Jason,

It was a warm and friendly welcome from yourself and other members, it meant a lot to us both.

Sam and I are keen to get her on the road and out on club outings, we have even joked about turning up with her on a trailer (the car, not my wife).

There is more photos to come.

R8G likes this.

Send me a PM with your contact details and I can try to link you up with these guys: Club des Amateurs d'anciennes Renault. We know some of the folk there, in Paris - here's their 2007 stand at Retromobile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer-p2160177.jpg  
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Tadpole

Send me a PM with your contact details and I can try to link you up with these guys: Club des Amateurs d'anciennes Renault. We know some of the folk there, in Paris - here's their 2007 stand at Retromobile.
    PM sent, thank you.

Tadpole

Just got back from a long weekend away and had a quick read of this thread and it reminded me of a 1939? Renault I owned for a brief time in the early 1980's. My father restored the side valve engine for an aquaintance when he lived in Benalla and somehow I ended up owning it a few years later. I remember it well as the cable brakes required a lot of defensive driving. After one trip driving it to Melbourne I was very glad I lived in Bendigo and never ventured out of town with it again.
    I have attached 2 photos and it is quite different in appearance but Dad said it was a 1939 model with a body built in Melbourne before the war but then sat and was not registered until after the war. Dad would have known all the history but he's long gone so can't ask him.
    No idea if the car is still around as I sold it in Bendigo in about 1983 or 84 and can't remember who to.
    Renault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer-renault-1939.jpgRenault 1942 Juvaquatre Tourer-renault-1939-.jpg
    Does anyone know how this one relates to the one in the thread and is it still around?
    JohnW likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi

Cable brakes don't necessarily have to be totally horrible, although often are

There is a lot of experience and experimentation in the Austin seven world around this going back many years, although most of the fast ones ran up the white flag long ago and switched to hydraulics, which is the only way to go for optimal performance with drums

Problem with any mechanical system is that the suspension is part of the braking system ( has to resist the pull, unless one is using Bowden cables ), so has to be in A1 condition ( shackles , radius arms etc )

Second problem is often that the first shoe that engages stops progress on the other three unless there is a compensating arrangement

Fully compensated brakes means that one loses the lot if one cable breaks, so back up system is needed

There are a variety of solutions to this in the Austin Seven world, some of which would have the advantage of not being dreadfully obvious or necessarily compromising registration under historic, as switch to hydraulics may do ( at least in Victoria )

I have some articles on this if you are interested, but am in middle of moving house, so ability to scan/copy will be compromised for a while. PM me if interested

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Baby1942 View Post
    JohnW,

The door handles being the same as the early 4CV, hopefully means I may have some luck finding a couple of the. The drivers door outside handle it broken and the passenger one is showing signs of cracking.

My late father in law would always warn me about the brakes and tell a few horror stories.

JohnW likes this.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    Hi

Cable brakes don't necessarily have to be totally horrible, although often are

There is a lot of experience and experimentation in the Austin seven world around this going back many years, although most of the fast ones ran up the white flag long ago and switched to hydraulics, which is the only way to go for optimal performance with drums

Problem with any mechanical system is that the suspension is part of the braking system ( has to resist the pull, unless one is using Bowden cables ), so has to be in A1 condition ( shackles , radius arms etc )

Second problem is often that the first shoe that engages stops progress on the other three unless there is a compensating arrangement

Fully compensated brakes means that one loses the lot if one cable breaks, so back up system is needed

There are a variety of solutions to this in the Austin Seven world, some of which would have the advantage of not being dreadfully obvious or necessarily compromising registration under historic, as switch to hydraulics may do ( at least in Victoria )

I have some articles on this if you are interested, but am in middle of moving house, so ability to scan/copy will be compromised for a while. PM me if interested

Best Wishes

Andrew
    Thank you for the offer Andrew, Iím keen for anything that helps, but doesnít take away from the originality. PM on its way.
    Peter

I wonder whether any of the post-war Juvaquatre models had hydraulic brakes? I have upgraded the brakes on my 4CV to larger drums (7" to 9") using the rare spider-wheel Dauphine components. It is the only major change from originality really and a huge improvement. It cannot be seen and only a very knowledgeable owner would know even if looking under the car. Personally, I think an invisible brake upgrade is justified on safety grounds alone.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I reckon a change to hydraulic brakes would be a very sensible modification. From a safety point of view, it's a no-brainer.

Fellow Frogger!

Agree that it is a no brainer - despite my comments I am no great fan of cable brakes ( Austin seven driver ) as they can give the sphincter a lot of practice in modern traffic. My Seven is having a prolonged sulk in the garage at the moment and I am considering what to do about brakes when he re-emerges.

The reason for my comment is that the latest iteration of the Club Rego regs in Victoria indicates need for engineers certificate if any fundamental change to mode of operation of brakes, so improvement mods to cable/rod etc systems would get through but change to hydraulics is in grey area - It is the obvious thing to do and can be done relatively unobtrusively, but is a) very non original and b) may open one up to need for engineers certificate etc. and c) one is likely to get caught should something go wrong were one to 'wing it' without certificate( insurance etc ).

I haven't revisited this issue in last 12 months and it may have changed, but was causing some angst

There is also a well trodden path for changing to hydraulics in old cars with small brakes. I think Morris Minor slave cylinders and back plates etc. were the way to go in many cases, but have no idea how one would do it on a Juvaquatre.

A lot depends on intended use and environment too

Not sure what the rego situation is in other states

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    I reckon a change to hydraulic brakes would be a very sensible modification. From a safety point of view, it's a no-brainer.

I was once told that the R1063 cars (the sporting 4cv model built in small numbers in the early 1950s) had Juvaquatre brakes, now I come to think about it, and he'd fitted them to his 4cv. The man who told me, in Paris, would know, suggesting post war Juvas might have had hydraulic brakes. I'll chase it up out of interest.
    Last edited by JohnW; 10th July 2018 at 08:41 PM.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

As an aside my late Father demolished a concrete bus shelter in Heidelberg in the '50's with a cable braked Austin device.
    A few paint scrapes and 'hammerable' dents, "Binned the Undies as I wouldn't put the Landlady through 'that' trauma!"
    Dad said that every Saturday was spent adjusting brake cables, fixing "another Bloody product of British engineering excellence" and drinking long necks. It was a simpler time.
    Brendan.
    Kim Luck and Baby1942 like this.

1000+ Posts

The bolts used in the rear parts of the body e.g. door hinges etc. might be imperial if that part was made in Australia. Might be a way of telling where the body was built.
    J-man likes this.

There's another of these kicking around the country somewhere, Tassie I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    There's another of these kicking around the country somewhere, Tassie I think.

That's an interesting number plate....
    Shoji likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I'm reliably informed that the red Juva has NT plates and has been on the Bay to Birdwood twice in recent years. Here's an opportunity for a reunion!! Two Juvaquatra convertibles in one place would be a very rare event....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information