1961 403 restoration
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: 1961 403 restoration

Default 1961 403 restoration

Thanks to the chaps that replied to my plea for help concerning the ignition key problem. The motor is now running and I can move the car around.I have started removing paint and have discovered it was originally white, which is great because that is my preferred colour. There is a very small amount of rust in the sills and I will have to replace the drivers door (being repaired).My immediate problem is the unreliable air compressor I am using......it has to be petrol as I am on stand alone solar power.Will have to sell some cars to buy a new one. I am hoping to complete this resto in 12 months......at least in time to drive to Phillip Island and commemorate the 403's win in 1960 and 1961. Could we get a 403 gathering happening on this score? Will send photos when I work out how it is to be done.

Advertisement

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

My immediate problem is the unreliable air compressor I am using......it has to be petrol as I am on stand alone solar power
    Make sure the exhaust is not sucked into the compressor air intake.

Seriously ruins the paint finish. And none of the "paint fault charts" have a similar fault picture.

Don't ask how I know.
    FIVEDOOR likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Tadpole

Did you get any work on this at all, Calgooley? Sounds like an interesting project and I'd love to see some pics if you made progress.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Cal ,
    how is the 403 progressing ?
    not ideal weather now for paint
    let me know if you need anything

anymore details on the Phillip Island 403 gather?

Cheers

No progress as yet on compressor......will buy a new spark plug asap. Yes it's getting a bit cold at Mudgee but can get quite warm days too. I have to get the compressor going to remove the old paint and only want to cover the car with primer. Hopefully I will have a spray painter to do the finish coats in 2 pac. As regards Phillip Is in 2020- 2021 lets see what interest can be gathered by 403 owners.

Cal , I hope you are not relying on the primer to protect the bare metal over winter - primers generally are porous - rust starts up and is hidden by the primer. All could be ok if you have a heated /sealed garage , maybe better to leave the stripping to late winter/spring so that you can do all in one hit and locate your painter to get his advice as to what primer . Other threads highlight the problems of incompatible primer / filler / topcoat . I have always had good results with single pack acrylic lacquer , it is hardly worth the expense going 2 pac with a not particularly valuable car and at least you can do it safely yourself. On my current resto , acting on a professional restorers advice , to avoid the porosity problem , I have given my primed shell a single top coat to seal it , so that I can do the last of the filling / undercoat in better weather.

^^ if he’s getting it painted in 2pac, he will need to use a 2 pac primer which are not as porous and should be ok.
    KB

Thanks for the tips Restorer. You are right.......do it acrylics...it'll be a good enough job .I'll also put a topcat on......I've been driving it now and again. I see that every March they have historic racing at Phillip Island, so hoping to be ready for 2020.

Thread Information