Ds 23 pallas refurb - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Ds 23 pallas refurb

Default DS 23 pallas refurb

more work on the painting of the suspension components and wheels ready.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cd0e.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cd0f.jpg  
    Vincenzo likes this.

Default DS PALLAS refurb

further work has progressed after the car was sprayed and touched up in the engine bay with new linkages refurbished headlight etc. there was a problem with the wiring harness. this was addressed by making a new one for the rear lights and the front as well from the firewall to the lights. new relays will be added as well.
    we did try the reproduced bullet connectors, while they may be as close to original as one can get the quality in our opinion is reasonable only. i am not arguing in favour or against it simply came to the personal decision i wanted the new harness to have robust wires and positive connections. this was achieved as you can see by the photos attached. thanks again to my trusty brother for getting this sorted.

also other progress photos. the light will now adjust on the main beam, directional lights swivel like they werer supposed to, all the little items that were not properly attended to when i originally got the car together are ebbing attended to. looking forward to getting the daily back o the road.

Default Ds pallas refurb

photos of progress
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cd54.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_ce5a.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cebd.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cebc.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_ceb9.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_ceb5.jpg  

Last edited by lamoor; 8th June 2018 at 08:07 PM.
    ramonm and Lasya like this.

After spending some time tinkering with the original connectors I came to the conclusion that they are a bit like the original rubber - of a quality that is now almost unobtainable.

I also am now pretty partial to the design of the connectors also. The issue with the original ones is the rubber looses it's ability to compress the female and and the surfaces oxidise.

A bit of vaseline in the connection i think will help stop surface oxidation. And using silicone rubber over the female - should improve both areas.

Note you used heatshrink I found running the heatshrink up to the end of the female terminal helped - they are a sealed a bit better by doing this.

Your car will be a gem.

I'll take some photos of the relays I added.

Alex

Default DS pallas refurb

Quote Originally Posted by Arekisir View Post
    After spending some time tinkering with the original connectors I came to the conclusion that they are a bit like the original rubber - of a quality that is now almost unobtainable.

I also am now pretty partial to the design of the connectors also. The issue with the original ones is the rubber looses it's ability to compress the female and and the surfaces oxidise.

A bit of vaseline in the connection i think will help stop surface oxidation. And using silicone rubber over the female - should improve both areas.

Note you used heatshrink I found running the heatshrink up to the end of the female terminal helped - they are a sealed a bit better by doing this.

Your car will be a gem.

I'll take some photos of the relays I added.

Alex
    hi alex
    thanks for quick reply. i have decided to use the existing RONIS relay cover and install a new hi tech modern unit and disguise it within the enclosures. however i will look forward to your solution. i have no issues with originality however practicality is also what keeps these older icons on the road and in daily display.

Default DS pallas refurb

more wiring being done to improve illumination and reliability to be used as the daily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cee5.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_ceea.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_ceeb.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cee7.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cee8.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cee6.jpg  

Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_cee9.jpg  
    ramonm likes this.

Don't forget the short ground wire for the rear lamp which goes from the mounting bolt on the lamp to the chassis...
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Default DS 23 refurb

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Don't forget the short ground wire for the rear lamp which goes from the mounting bolt on the lamp to the chassis...
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    thanks Mark
    yes we have had issues with earthing wires thats why we decided to start from the beginning as there were cross wired lights and a hell of a time remarking and trying to get it sorted. the new wiring also now has all the lights working at an extremely bright level.
    BTW is the earthing wire obvious or do you have a reference that i can go to please.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ds21bvh View Post
    Cheers,
    Mark...
    hi Mark
    do you know if there are two “park light” wires that come from the rear wire harness?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by lamoor View Post
    we did try the reproduced bullet connectors, while they may be as close to original as one can get the quality in our opinion is reasonable only. i am not arguing in favour or against it simply came to the personal decision i wanted the new harness to have robust wires and positive connections. this was achieved as you can see by the photos attached. thanks again to my trusty brother for getting this sorted.

also other progress photos. the light will now adjust on the main beam, directional lights swivel like they werer supposed to, all the little items that were not properly attended to when i originally got the car together are ebbing attended to. looking forward to getting the daily back o the road.

Nice to see some DS action on the Restoration Projects page. Those connectors look very respectable and I'm sure are very practical. I've bought a replacement front loom but am minded to re-make my lighting looms and rear loom now I've seen this. There are several different report 'original' designs out there. The Franzose ones seem to be most faithful to the originals - in construction anyway. I bought some from Burton (the 2CV company). The females are more like standard bullet connectors and give a good grip. The thing i am struggling to get is the full range of coloured ends that match the ones used on my new front loom!

Your rear light units look good as new - or are they new?
    1968 DS21bvh Pallas in Gris Palladium

Restoration blog: https://ds-restoration.blogspot.co.uk

From memory there should be one no plate wire, one brake light wire and two rear light wires - because there is a dash switch which allows you to just put one side lamp on when parking so they need independent power.

On the earth lead. If you look at the lamp cluster (under the lamp cover) you will see the earths for the bulbs go to the mounting bolts. All you need to do is make up a couple of short (green is the correct colour) leads with eyelets on them - one goes on the mounting bolt for the lamp, the other under the mounting bolt each side for the number plate valance.

Cheers,

Mark...

BTW - don't use 21w globes in the brake lights, you'll melt the covers.
    IIRC they used to be 16w...?
    Cheers,
    Mark...

Default DS 23 Pallas refurb

Your rear light units look good as new - or are they new?[/QUOTE]

the rear tail light loom is fabricated with new components and connectors, i know they may not look original EXACTLY for the purists however what ever has been done is to make the components as fail proof as possible. my brother has done an excellent job as the lights are so much brighter because of all the new wiring. will put pictures up when completed. anyway its one solution.

thanks Mark

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Lamoor,
    What a tremendous result , I'm sure you must be quite contented! Will you be attending A.F.C.D. as there will be many Froggers wanting to look at a beautifully restored Citroen.

Default DS 23 pallas

Quote Originally Posted by chris hartwell View Post
    Hi Lamoor,
    What a tremendous result , I'm sure you must be quite contented! Will you be attending A.F.C.D. as there will be many Froggers wanting to look at a beautifully restored Citroen.
    Hi Chris
    this car gets used every day when it was on the road. its up for rego this month and i don't realistically think it is a concourse car. but i enjoy the driving. i will attend the AFCD as i missed ot last year. it will be good to see how many DS's and other citroens etc will attend.
    Bounge likes this.

finally the patient wait has paid off images of the car being prepped for buffing and afterwords took it out to burn the cobweb out after the hibernation. installed new plugs checked LHM etc and now to install the polished wheel caps the rub moulds and bits and small pieces so that i can use it as my daily again.

considering i have been driving various newer cars and some brand new during the repair process of the D - simply love the D could be bias but its suspension and a whole lot of other stuff that makes up this mobile industrial design never fails to lift my sprits. especially when it looks the part all together. the head light were definitely worth the investment and reasonable cost -the way for me to go as they look v cool when on. also surprisingly bright. will wire up through a relay and look at the other bulb option. done for now. next the dash and internal bright work and small details items to make it all complete.

thanks to Greg F for patience and getting me all the parts and to my equally patient brother Raviin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d10c.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d10e.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d111.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d108.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d103.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d0ff.jpg  

Budge and ramonm like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Looks fabulous. Congratulations as onother one live on

OK finally worked out the bump strips | at least my brother did| not as simple as it looks. each peice has to be tweaked slightly depending on the panels. also the repo rear gasket to the pallas rear reflector is better fit between the panel and the leading edges of the s/s reflectors.

this colour definitely requires all the bling. it adds to the lines. the guiding image for the location has been off the original factory brochure. the gap between the leading edge of the rear door and the trailing edge of the front door is CRITICAL when you open the rear door and the front door is closed. 1.5 mm clearance if all the panels line up. this has been my experience. the car looks presentable and together again. some minor mechanical work to be done hydraulic leaks - height correctors, may be result of being laid up for so long. looking forward to daily driving again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d173.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d174.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d172.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d171.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d16f.jpg  
    Bounge and ramonm like this.

Bonjour
    tres belle ta voiture

Quote Originally Posted by Bounge View Post
    Bonjour
    tres belle ta voiture
    Merci beaucoup

That looks lovely !

Ramon
    1974 DS23 ie Pallas 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ramonm View Post
    That looks lovely !

Ramon
    many thanks

Default Ds 23pallas refurb

well i took the car out to the tech day. happy with the look of the car however still some stuff to attend to like the interior dash switch gear etc. and in the engine bay repainting radiator etc- good to drive the car now that most of it is completed. great location so took some photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d190.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d194.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d18e.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d191.jpg  
    ramonm likes this.

Default Ds 23 pallas refurbb

few more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d19c.jpg   Ds 23 pallas refurb-unadjustednonraw_thumb_d197.jpg  
    ramonm likes this.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information