• Help
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Brianbcs
  • 2 Post By Brianbcs
  • 2 Post By R8philSA

Thread: R8 Restoration project

Fellow Frogger!

Default R8 Restoration project

Have’nt posted for a while on the R8 progress,but despite the silence things are happening. The R12/Alpine motor is now fitted. Xmas break allowed enough time to fabricate the extractors, they will be HPC coated soon.
    Muffler is Yamaha..yet to be hung and clamped to crossmember. 40 Dcoe’s are almost rebuilt just waiting for some bits, amazing how well those little jewellery sonic cleaners work on all the components.
    Hopefully get a run out of the motor in the next few weeks. Getting excited!
    Anyone with a pair of bell housing/engine side braces they wish to part with would be assured of a good home!
    Cheers
    Brian

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 Restoration project-image.jpg  
    lozenge, R8 Dream, J-man and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianbcs View Post
    Have’nt posted for a while on the R8 progress,but despite the silence things are happening. The R12/Alpine motor is now fitted. Xmas break allowed enough time to fabricate the extractors, they will be HPC coated soon.
    Muffler is Yamaha..yet to be hung and clamped to crossmember. 40 Dcoe’s are almost rebuilt just waiting for some bits, amazing how well those little jewellery sonic cleaners work on all the components.
    Hopefully get a run out of the motor in the next few weeks. Getting excited!
    Anyone with a pair of bell housing/engine side braces they wish to part with would be assured of a good home!
    Cheers
    Brian
    Looking great Brian!
    i note you seem to have retained the rear fuel tank. Any thoughts to install a new one up front to distribute a bit of weight up front?
    what have you done with steering have you kept it standard or considered a quickener?
    what about ignition?
    Angelo

Nice. Are you using a high rate water pump or the standard one?

The high ratio pinion option for the steering rack works well - contact geckoeng for action there!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

At this stage I have an R4 tank up front, not sure how this will go without engineering as it’s not a genuine G....will wing it on this one.
    Water pump is Mecaparts but don”t think it is high rate. The rack is a genuine G one, would like to eventually fit a quickener. Trying not to create to many more mods...been on this resto since 2011 and need to get moving on it!
    Was great to catch up at Geelong Angelo,pity I missed Phil. Will take up your offer of a visit soon,lots of things I’d like to pick your brains on, ignition being one,
    Brian
    JohnW and J-man like this.

Hi Brian.

Mate it looks fantastic and I know what that feeling is like! me to. I can't wait to get BARNIE's engine in and the sound of that first start will make it all worth it. I haven't got a clue what BARNIE is going to go like. I have what I think is a R16 Radiator in the front with the petrol tank, two lovely big 45DCOE Webers, cam, extractors, head work etc. I'm getting under him tomorrow to start renewing the water plumbing, wish me luck, I'm not getting any younger and rolling around under a car is almost over for me these days.
    Cheers
    Phil
    R8 Restoration project-dscn2168.jpg
    R8 Dream and J-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R8philSA View Post
    Hi Brian.

Mate it looks fantastic and I know what that feeling is like! me to. I can't wait to get BARNIE's engine in and the sound of that first start will make it all worth it. I haven't got a clue what BARNIE is going to go like. I have what I think is a R16 Radiator in the front with the petrol tank, two lovely big 45DCOE Webers, cam, extractors, head work etc. I'm getting under him tomorrow to start renewing the water plumbing, wish me luck, I'm not getting any younger and rolling around under a car is almost over for me these days.
    Cheers
    Phil
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2168.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	102697

With any luck we might have 3 x R8's running at the Geelong Revival next year.
    Wouldn't that be a great sight for the spectators!

Cheers
    Brian
    Brian, I modified a set of R10 braces to suit. I have a Alpine Alum Sump fitted, so had to make some slight mods.
    I don't have a spare set, as mine are fitted, but I will take a few photos and post what I have done if this is of any help.
    It was a matter of trial fitting several times until they fitted.
    A oxy/acetylene torch would help immensely.

Angelo

3 R8s at the Geelong Revival in 2018. How great would that be. I best get cracking on BARNIE. Trouble is we are having a 4 day heat wave and I can't get into my tin garage!!!!

Phil

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Angelo, some pics would be great, more or less decided just to make my own
    Brian

Fellow Frogger!

I had a 10 with a stock 16TS motor about a hundred years ago and it went bloody well so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed Phil,
    and yes 3 R8’s would be something else!
    Brian

Thanks Angelo, some pics would be great, more or less decided just to make my own
    Brian
    These are mine. Let me know if you need more.
    cheers
    Angelo

R8 Restoration project-image.jpgR8 Restoration project-image.jpg

Sorry about out the upside down 1st photo (don't know how to switch it around)

Thread Information