Faster Floride - upgrade project
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bustamif
  • 1 Post By Bustamif

Thread: Faster Floride - upgrade project

  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Windsor 2756 NSW Australia
    Posts
    381

    Default Faster Floride - upgrade project

    This project was originally under a thread called 1959 Floride Restoration started by the cars previous owner. Since it is not a restoration of an original car, I have started this new thread.

    Finally got the paint finished today so the assembly can now begin. I have to resist the temptation to get too carried away on assembly until the paint has a little time to cure.


    Advertisement


    Springs and shocks from Mecaparts are at the post office waiting collection. I have gone for 210 mm free length fronts and standard 275 mm rears although I may cut half a coil from the rear to stiffen it up a little and lower it a tad.

    Faster Floride - upgrade project-trifd4b.jpg

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! R8philSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Vista SA
    Posts
    858

    Default

    Interesting what you said about the rear springs. My restoration 'BARNIE' is a 1963 R8 fitted with a 16TS engine. When I took the old springs out there was a separate coil (1 turn) sitting under each spring. I reckon it was to lift the back up for rally work.
    I took it out and reassembled the suspension minus the (1 turn) coils.

    Can't wait to get the brakes finished to get it on all fours on the deck to measure the heights front and back. Friend of mine has recently done some spring mods and the R8 now measures 627 - 630mm measuring from the ground to the center of the chrome side strip, measurement taken straight up through the wheel area.

    Cheers
    Phil

    Cheers
    Phil




    Quote Originally Posted by Bustamif View Post
    This project was originally under a thread called 1959 Floride Restoration started by the cars previous owner. Since it is not a restoration of an original car, I have started this new thread.

    Finally got the paint finished today so the assembly can now begin. I have to resist the temptation to get too carried away on assembly until the paint has a little time to cure.


    Springs and shocks from Mecaparts are at the post office waiting collection. I have gone for 210 mm free length fronts and standard 275 mm rears although I may cut half a coil from the rear to stiffen it up a little and lower it a tad.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TRIFD4B.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	102386

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Windsor 2756 NSW Australia
    Posts
    381

    Default

    My R8G has a 1605 engine with forged pistons, big cam, twin 45 DCOE Webers etc but it is the R18 type with the crank pulley on the back of the motor. This makes it easier to fit the alternator at the rear instead of being at the firewall/fuel tank end.

    With all the fiberglass panels on the front of the R8G, including the guards, I found that even the meca 200mm front springs were too high for the 240 mm rears. The standard rear spring has a free length of about 300 mm.
    I used some spare race springs I had on the shelf where lower again, about 260 lb/inch made from tapered wire producing a progressive rate - softer in the first 5 mm of travel increasing as the wheel compresses, great in wet weather.

    The 200mm fronts work well on the Alconi which has all the steel panels.

    The Floride project is same basic layout to my R8g with similar engine and front aluminium radiator but no fiberglass.

    It is worth weighing everything as you do the build to ensure the weight distribution is improved. For example although the R16 motor is about 20kg heavier, you move over 20kg to the front with the radiator and associated support panel, glass bottle, jack, plus you get even more weight off with fiberglass rear panel, guards, engine lid and no bumpers. I have not bothered with glass panels on the Floride but the radiator and heater are all in the front and the electric water pump also saves a bit.
    R8philSA likes this.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Windsor 2756 NSW Australia
    Posts
    381

    Default

    More parts fitted up today including Master cylinder and pedals. The brake switch has to be relocated when using the A110 tandem cylinder. The brake pedal is too close to the hydraulic switch so the outlet is sealed. I will fit a mechanical switch activated by the pedal movement same as the Alconi and R8G.

    Faster Floride - upgrade project-tricf4.jpg

    Radiator in and fans being mounted. Heaps more space available than the R8G

    Faster Floride - upgrade project-trid3ca.jpg

    More space in the rear too and the oil cooler will have good airflow. The oil filter mount is an old remote mount I had from a Valiant slant 6. I used a lot of them back in the day before that style of aftermarket alloy mount became so easily available.

    Faster Floride - upgrade project-tri9055.jpg

    The new gear shift base is one I saw on Chris Lees project here. Not sure if the grub screws to hold the spacers on the shaft will be up to the task but time will tell.

    Faster Floride - upgrade project-tric3d4.jpg

    I have plenty to do while I keep trying to find a 16TS crownwheel and pinion for the big gearbox.

    Cheers all.
    Last edited by Bustamif; Yesterday at 04:35 PM.
    59 Floride likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •