R1190 Project
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: R1190 Project

Default R1190 Project

G'Day all,

This is my R1190 Renault 10 Project I have just acquired. Little bit of work in it but it's all there.
    P.S. It does have the rocker cover but I've taken it off to inspect the head
    R1190 Project-car.jpg
    If you have any Tips on Restoring one of these I'd love to know

Advertisement

Ah mate you are going to have fun

R10's are cool.. R*'s are cool
    LeMansTragic likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Congratulations - welcome to the fold.

Good idea to familiarise yourself with websites that can assist with parts.

One of the key suppliers is Mecaparts from France: Catalogue ALPINE RENAULT

Ordering in larger quantities as opposed to smaller, will save in postage in the long run.

There are others, with most o/s.
    LeMansTragic likes this.

Don't get it sandblasted or chemically dipped unless you want it back looking like a cheese grater.
    Your best tip would be to consider upgrading to an R12 engine - either 1289 or 1397 (aka 1.4) engine. 1289 is probably the smoothest sweetest choice and the HP difference between it and the 1.4 should not be significant for most road use.
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Don't get it sandblasted or chemically dipped unless you want it back looking like a cheese grater.
    Your best tip would be to consider upgrading to an R12 engine - either 1289 or 1397 (aka 1.4) engine. 1289 is probably the smoothest sweetest choice and the HP difference between it and the 1.4 should not be significant for most road use.
    I was actually looking at sandblasting it back so thanks for that. I believe it has the 1.4 847 engine, at least thats what the previous owner told me.

Can't tell from the pics as we can't expand them. What does the tag on the side of the block say? (near the distributor).
    Also did it have two (688-02 1108cc) or three (R12 engines) nuts holding the rocker cover on?

The R12 head should also have some (3?) mouldings and threaded holes near #4 plug where the alternator mounts on an R12.
    KB

Can't tell from the pics as we can't expand them. What does the tag on the side of the block say? (near the distributor).
    Also did it have two (688-02 1108cc) or three (R12 engines) nuts holding the rocker cover on?

The R12 head should also have some (3?) mouldings and threaded holes near #4 plug where the alternator mounts on an R12.
    I'll have to check the plate on the motor but there are 3 studs holding the rocker cover on.

Fellow Frogger!

It'll be fun....

You'll get a good chance to improve your sheet metal work. I had mine blasted, cheese grater indeed. If you can avoid it then if you don't know the rust is there then maybe it isn't.

An R12 engine is just a start, strengthened gearbox, bigger brakes, 807 or if you are slightly insane like me then a K4M (work in progress)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using aussiefrogs mobile app
    LeMansTragic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LeMansTragic View Post
    In my humble opinion, the best tips can be found here:- R8 upgrade project

Your mileage may vary.
    LeMansTragic and J-man like this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

...most of that will buff out.

I was actually looking at sandblasting it back so thanks for that. I believe it has the 1.4 847 engine, at least thats what the previous owner told me.
    It really doesn't look like a 1.4 motor. Also work out a budget of what you want to spend, what you can do yourself, and what you want to achieve. A poor(ous) body that requires a lot of rust rectification can be a real money pit. Especially where good condition Renault 10s, whilst not on every corner, will invariably cost a lot less than repairing a rotten body, especially if you are paying someone to do the work.

Sandblasting can also warp the thin R10 panels.

Just an addition, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the R10 body, but they literally rust from the inside out - from the roof gutters down, especially in the door pillars (A & C), roof pillars (A & C), chassis rails etc. So a very careful check is required of any small pinpricks of rust as they only get bigger. You want to find them first, not the rego inspector once you have completed everything.

Yes, I'm painting a bleak picture as a starting point as nothing would be more disappointing than doing a lot of work, only to find the body is no good down the track. Mechanicals are easy to fix, a rotten body not so easy.
    Last edited by Simon; 29th November 2017 at 11:28 PM.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    It really doesn't look like a 1.4 motor. Also work out a budget of what you want to spend, what you can do yourself, and what you want to achieve. A poor(ous) body that requires a lot of rust rectification can be a real money pit. Especially where good condition Renault 10s, whilst not on every corner, will invariably cost a lot less than repairing a rotten body, especially if you are paying someone to do the work.

Sandblasting can also warp the thin R10 panels.

Just an addition, I'm not sure how familiar you are with the R10 body, but they literally rust from the inside out - from the roof gutters down, especially in the door pillars (A & C), roof pillars (A & C), chassis rails etc. So a very careful check is required of any small pinpricks of rust as they only get bigger. You want to find them first, not the rego inspector once you have completed everything.

Yes, I'm painting a bleak picture as a starting point as nothing would be more disappointing than doing a lot of work, only to find the body is no good down the track. Mechanicals are easy to fix, a rotten body not so easy.
    I was planning on tackling the the body myself, I have family in an engineering firm that can help me with the body. The floor and lower rocker sills are stuffed but The A,B pillars don't look all that bad; no telling what I'll find once I start stripping it back though. I Recall the bloke I bought it from saying something about it being a 'Virage Engine' so a late R12 C1J? Thanks for the advice Simon

Quote Originally Posted by FIVEDOOR View Post
    In my humble opinion, the best tips can be found here:- R8 upgrade project

Your mileage may vary.
    Cheers, I'll check it out

I was planning on tackling the the body myself, I have family in an engineering firm that can help me with the body. The floor and lower rocker sills are stuffed but The A,B pillars don't look all that bad; no telling what I'll find once I start stripping it back though. I Recall the bloke I bought it from saying something about it being a 'Virage Engine' so a late R12 C1J? Thanks for the advice Simon
    The Virage engine was type 847 and is 1397cc.
    The C1J is also a Sierra 1397cc. This was fitted to various 80's models (R5, R9, R11, R19) but was not sold in Australia.
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

On a more serious note, this one shows some of the potential body rust issues:- Christian's R10S
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

I struggle with this. It really doesn't look like a 1.4 engine as Simon said, and whatever is in there looks like it's been in there for a long long time.
    KB

The photographs in post#1 show the motor still has the identification plate so just get the motor type off the plate.
    The head does not look like an R12/Virage so if it is a 1.4 the it's only the bottom end.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure."

The carbie does look a bit odd, but a few more pics of the engine (not in a montage); and the details off the plate would be a start to ID'ing it correctly.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Don't stress too much about identification of the engine fellas, he may toss it out and put an 807 or K4M in it. In which case the mystery engine may come up for grabs and you can turn it into garden art.
    Last edited by Bustamif; 1st December 2017 at 05:51 PM.

Not sure I need any more. I have at least three in the garage now, plus one out on loan.
    JohnW likes this.
    KB

I struggle with this. It really doesn't look like a 1.4 engine as Simon said, and whatever is in there looks like it's been in there for a long long time.
    I agree. Looks like a 6-port 1100.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

G'Day all,

This is my R1190 Renault 10 Project I have just acquired. Little bit of work in it but it's all there.
    P.S. It does have the rocker cover but I've taken it off to inspect the head
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	101619
    You'll find a lot of locally-available knowledge and skill in the Renault Car Club of Queensland if you aren't already a member. And our Renault 4CV Register of Australia, covering the rear-engined cars has quite a few members also in RCCQ. PM me if you want contact details.

Personally, I'm with Simon's comment. I'd do a really thorough look at the body and decide whether it is sensibly restorable first! Might be fine, but......

Good luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks for the Advice everyone. Gonna get a decent look at it this weekend. I'd love to save her; I just hope it's not too bad once I start stripping it. I'll take more photos of the car (in particular the engine) and post them shortly.

Cheers.

Some quick photo's of the engine. Going to take some panels off and look at body in more detail shortly

R1190 Project-1512776601015.jpgR1190 Project-1512776609857.jpgR1190 Project-1512776616950.jpgR1190 Project-1512776621983.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

688 is a 1100, so not the big block R12 1400.
    LeMansTragic likes this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information