• Register
  • Help
Like Tree12Likes
  • 10 Post By Paul T
  • 1 Post By Paul T
  • 1 Post By Paul T

Thread: Alpine GTA.

Default Alpine GTA.

I must have been bored during March this year as I set out for Brisbane with a mate and brought back a 1988 New Zealand delivered Alpine GTA ATMO. It had not been driven for 7+ years so I just got a NSW unregistered vehicle permit ($28) and drove it 1200km back home to Bathurst!!
    "What was I thinking" as I drove an unfamiliar car with my bum 2 inches off the road through traffic headed for Ipswich. This car has been idle for 7 odd years and here I am on a 1200km road trip. As I got near Warwick I was pulled over by a QLD motorcycle cop, I handed him my paperwork which he had a good look at, wished me well and sent me on my way. We arrived in Glen Innes and it was pouring with rain, the wipers and demister were working overtime and my right foot was wet. Our Motel manager from Armidale rang and said the highway just south of Glen Innes was closed due to flooding. No worries if we don't make it he won't charge us for the room, great, thanks for that. We set off for Armidale just as it was getting dark and still pouring down rain. The high beam worked really well and the funny wipers scraped at the windshield. Every creek and river we passed was overflowing and flood water lapped at the black top, but we pushed on. So much for the road being closed, it was close though. We arrived at our Motel around 9:30pm and as everything was closed we settled for a meal at the American restaurant with the golden arches. The following morning at around 8am we fuelled both cars, had a servo breakfast and set off. The miles whiled by, Tamworth, Werris Ck, Premer, Coolah, Dunedoo and Mudgee for lunch. We departed Mudgee in the early afternoon heading for the Sofala turn off at Ilford. I was about 2km along the Ilford Rd when in my mirror I saw red and blues and the sound of a siren wailing at me. I pulled over and a plain clothes cop in a Camry pulled up next to screaming "Where are your number plates!!!" I pulled out my paperwork and advised him I had an unregistered vehicle permit. Well slow down he said! I asked "was I speeding as mu GPS and speedo both said 95kph?. Well maybe a little he said, but who could blame you in that! He took off in a cloud and left me contemplating the difference between the QLD and NSW Police. An hour later I was heading into Bathurst expecting to find a Highway Patrol Car waiting for me, but no. A few more Km to go and I'm home.
    It was a big 3 days and I thought I would sleep for a week. I parked the GTA in the shed and that is where it stayed for the next month, I didn't even look at it, I just thought, "What have I done"!

Advertisement

Over the past few months I have begun to replace a few bits and pieces. Fuel lines, radiator hoses, hood lining and more so watch this space for the updates.
    Alpine GTA.-dsc_6042.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6278.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6275.jpg

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

That looks nice!
    It's another lovely day! Again!

Jags out!
    Renault only garage I see!
    KB

Very nice! I'm sure many of us are pleased that the car is in good hands.

You're close to Inverell too for the 2019 Muster! Close relative to Perth that is.....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Jags out!
    Renault only garage I see!
    My X Type lives under the carport and the XJC lives in the other garage. 2 of each.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Very nice! I'm sure many of us are pleased that the car is in good hands.

You're close to Inverell too for the 2019 Muster! Close relative to Perth that is.....
    The plan is to take it to Inverell. A little more work to go yet.
    JohnW likes this.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

I was so tempted on that car myself but wasn't brave enough to drive it back. Good on you for doing it, you had a great road trip home. Good luck with the resto and keep the photos flowing.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

I didn't know Peter even had the car for sale until Paul contacted me about various things about the car, although I hardly needed another one.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Once I built up enough courage to look at my purchase I put the Alpine on the hoist and gave it a good pressure wash and inspection. No rust in the chassis, phew! I cleaned the car inside and out which took a day or two. Replaced all the blown fuses and most things now work. I cleaned the hood lining and the fabric broke away from the foam so I replaced it. Removed the interior, cleaned the door trims and steam cleaned the carpets. The carpet in the engine bay area was sad to say the least so I replaced it with new blue carpet. I believe the original colour was black but I prefer the blue.
    Now the maintenance started. First was the gear selector bushes which were badly deteriorated and worn. I could not select 5th gear on the way home so I have put that down to the selector bushes. Next I replaced all the rubber fuel lines and filters, easy job. The radiator hoses were next and that was not so easy and of course a few more issues there. I'll continue that in the next update.
    Alpine GTA.-dsc_6050.jpg Alpine GTA.-dsc_6260.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6260b.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6261.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6261a.jpg
    I'm having some issues posting photos, I can only upload one at a time for some reason.
    JohnW likes this.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Looks like yours has air conditioning as well. I may have the story wrong, but I believe your car was one of very few that was sold new in New Zealand, so avoiding the salted roads of the UK, and the massive surface rusting issues of those cars. Rust is usually at the top of the rear towers, and the box section that the rack mounts on, which you need to pull out the fuel tank to inspect. I have also seen it where the bottom outer seat belt mounting is, and just below the pedal box. On the English cars, virtually every second fastener just snaps off when trying to undo it.

The rear gear selector bushes do get tired and take some effort to replace. I replaced my hood lining about 4 years ago. Like yours, the foam backing on the cloth just crumbles. I also don't mind the blue engine cover on a white car.
    Nice view from the hoist! Thank you for telling the story.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    '08 Renault Megane sedan

Envious. Very nice Alpine. Enjoy Paul
    Cheers. John
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.”

1000+ Posts

Well done....great story....great car . :}
    jr20516v

Now:
    Honda EP3 supercharged , 205 GTi 1.9, Exige SC [modded], 205 Si., Colt Ralliart [ highly modded ]

Previous: 205 x33 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2

I managed to get a new set of silicone hoses from a fellow in Tasmania who unfortunately lost his car in a fire after it was stolen. I bought everything he had including door locks and more. I began to replace the radiator and heater hoses and those people who know these cars its not all that easy. You need to remove the inlet manifold from the V to get to the hoses underneath it. Once I removed the manifold I removed about 1kg of mud wasp nests (see photo) and other crud built up over the years. Some of the cooling system in the V is connected using metal pipes and they were badly rusted. They are available from but for a premium price so I had a friend make them for me. Once all my parts arrived I was able to replace the rest of the hoses and the manifold. I now moved to the front of the cooling system and replaced the 2 main front hoses that just arrived. Time to re fill the system and test it. Once the system was full I started the engine and bled the system only to find the original radiator was leaking at the left tank and the new front radiator hose was leaking at the heater hose branch. I removed the hoses to find the heater branch was installed without any sealer so I rectified that and then remove the front bumper to get to the radiator. I am currently waiting for my new Europa Cup radiator to arrive. To ensure proper cooling I have purchased 2 new 12 inch electric fans to replace to 40 year old units. While everything was out of the front of the car it was a good opportunity to clean up the chassis rails and re paint the components.

Next instalment- Oh Crap! Whats on fire in there?
    Alpine GTA.-dsc_6525.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6535.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6048.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6562.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6563.jpgAlpine GTA.-dsc_6567.jpg

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I managed to get a new set of silicone hoses from a fellow in Tasmania who unfortunately lost his car in a fire after it was stolen. I bought everything he had including door locks and more. I began to replace the radiator and heater hoses and those people who know these cars its not all that easy. You need to remove the inlet manifold from the V to get to the hoses underneath it. Once I removed the manifold I removed about 1kg of mud wasp nests (see photo) and other crud built up over the years. Some of the cooling system in the V is connected using metal pipes and they were badly rusted. They are available from but for a premium price so I had a friend make them for me. Once all my parts arrived I was able to replace the rest of the hoses and the manifold. I now moved to the front of the cooling system and replaced the 2 main front hoses that just arrived. Time to re fill the system and test it. Once the system was full I started the engine and bled the system only to find the original radiator was leaking at the left tank and the new front radiator hose was leaking at the heater hose branch. I removed the hoses to find the heater branch was installed without any sealer so I rectified that and then remove the front bumper to get to the radiator. I am currently waiting for my new Europa Cup radiator to arrive. To ensure proper cooling I have purchased 2 new 12 inch electric fans to replace to 40 year old units. While everything was out of the front of the car it was a good opportunity to clean up the chassis rails and re paint the components.

Next instalment- Oh Crap! Whats on fire in there?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6525.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	101459Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6535.jpg 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	101460Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6048.jpg 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	101464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6562.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	101461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6563.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	101462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_6567.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	101463
    Hey Tommo

Didn't look like that when I was there yesterday. Notice surface rust on some parts like the rear lower control arms. Best fix is POR15 if you can get them off which you have to do anyway to install your new bushes. Agree with Alan about the upper part of the rear suspension. Salt on the roads in the UK plays havoc with this area. Fortunately mine were OK even tho it came from Stoke on Trent but I still gave them the treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzamac View Post
    Hey Tommo

Didn't look like that when I was there yesterday. Notice surface rust on some parts like the rear lower control arms. Best fix is POR15 if you can get them off which you have to do anyway to install your new bushes. Agree with Alan about the upper part of the rear suspension. Salt on the roads in the UK plays havoc with this area. Fortunately mine were OK even tho it came from Stoke on Trent but I still gave them the treatment.
    Hi Bazza,
    I have already cleaned up the rusty water marks from the leaking radiator and it has all been treated with the full 3 step POR15 treatment. As my car was delivered new in New Zealand I don't have the rust issues the UK cars have however I am having a good look just in case. As I remove components I am giving them the POR15 treatment. The rear control arms will get the same when they are removed for new bushes.

Paul Tomlinson
    R1135 Gordini 1968.
    Jaguar XJ-C V12 1975.
    Alpine GTA 1988
    Jaguar X Type 2002.

Thread Information