• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ng850

Thread: Mi Amor Peugeot 205 GTI 1991

Tadpole

Default Mi Amor Peugeot 205 GTI 1991

Hi All,

I am the owner of a nice silver 205 with 269912 on the clock.

Advertisement

I am hoping to take what is a good example of a 205 and make it great? I have not had a lot of experience with working on cars, so I am hoping to join this community.

At the moment I have some issues with cooling and a recent trip to the mechanic had him explain that there is a leak in the radiator and from some plastic housing coming out from the 'block'? I need to identify the part in question so I can source a part. It has three pipes with the second on leaking.

The mechanic also recommended that I replace several of the hoses as they are either about to crack or are bulging. I had a quick look on eBay and it seems I can order parts mostly from the UK? Is this something I can do myself? lol

Also if anyone could offer a insight into the plastic housing coming out from the block?

I will take some pics and post them ASAP.

Thanks all.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome.

If the radiator isn't repairable, then EAI may be your best bet for a replacement.

Hoses from Peugeot are getting hard to find but reproduction ones in rubber or silicon can be bought from people like BakerBM. Individual ones can be purchased but it sounds like it is worth replacing all of them if budget permits. Once the rad is out of the way, its not too hard to replace them all. Also check condition of breather hoses, especially the main oil filler hose.

The plastic housing can be purchased new although not cheap. Earlier versions were made of aluminium and I presume are a direct fit. http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/1/13E21A.HTM

Cheers

griffo

PDJ

Whoo! Another Coastie.
    Where on the coast are you?
    WD-40'll fix It! If it don't, use a big hammer

Tadpole

It's definitely doable but you need to identify the problem, there are some testing kits which can help you see where the leak is coming from, if not cables etc. The problem with older models, that often replacing one old cable will just bring you more work in the future, so it is indeed best to replace the lot while you're on the job. And I would continue with this approach whilst maintaining the car, one part at a time. Unfortunately, I cannot help you on what parts exactly, but see some old manuals and other forums may be of help.

Some part coming out the block! Hehehehe!

That wouldn't happen to be the intake manifold, eh?

'cos if it is, your car is going to go like crap.

The radiator could be repaired. Ask your mechanic.

The manifold, not so much.

But before you go any further, get yourself a book and start reading (that's for your benefit, not anyone else's).

Changing the coolant hoses may or may not be within your reach. Judging by the question about the manifold, I would say not right now. See suggestion above, do that, and then reassess. The coolant hose changing procedure is covered in the manual(s), even the Haynes one.

All of that may be harsh, but what you have bought is a fragile pile of french eighties plastique de merde. As you will soon find out, all those words are bad and even worse when put together. Plastic as in easy to break, difficult to find a good replacement and even more difficult to replace that one without breaking it in the process.

Moral is, don't even look at it the wrong way 'cos you might break it.

Okay, under the bonnet it may not be that bad, but there's a lot of stuff there that can go wrong (and it usually does).

Take it easy, and before you do anything, read the book (I am pretty sure you can download a .pdf copy for free off the web).
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

I don't think he means the intake manifold... but the water distribution 'manifold' at the back of the block. The plastic intake manifold only appeared on the very late model GTIs and the subject appears to be about water leaks.

Changing the hoses and rad and the above manifold are well within the capabilities of your average DIY home mechanic... just a bit fiddly. I know, I did them all.

Unless you want to retain ultimate originality, I would hurl the rad as its probably at least 25 years old if the oroiginal one.

Be good if the OP whould post up a response 😀
    CEyssens and GRAHAM WALLIS like this.

Thread Information