Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine

Default Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine

Hi everyone,

Well here I am, with excitement (and a little bit of apprehension) I'm writing my first post, about my first classic car and not only that but my first ever classic car restoration! I have to say it's been 4 or 5 years in the making and all credit must go to my husband Toby and his infectious obsession with cars and also of course, classic french cars which in turn has rubbed off on me.

Since we met, I've spent many a day admiring and observing from afar the perseverance, love, blood, sweat and tears that have gone into the restoration of his beautiful DS Celia, who is now truly a member of our family. I never thought that one day I would be embarking down the same journey with one of the most special classic cars (in my opinion) I've ever seen, a Renault Dauphine.

I first fell in love with the Dauphine when I noticed one while wandering through the many rows of lovely classic cars at a French car day Toby had taken me to (don't ask me where or when, there's been a few). Then again, earlier this year, I spotted a row of three or maybe four Dauphine's at the classic car show at Steamfest in Maitland. I pined over how beautiful they were and decided there and then I wanted one of my own, though my husband reluctantly informed me that it wasn't likely as these days they're exceedingly rare to find.

Imagine my surprise then when I woke up two Saturday mornings' ago to Toby's excitement at an ad he had just seen on Gumtree. He showed me the picture of a pretty blue Dauphine in the ad and I instantly knew she'd be part of our family. We called the owner and went to see her that day. She was in excellent condition, and although though not running, the owner had over a few years, collected all the parts needed to complete a full restoration. Not too much rust and good interior with just a small tear on the drivers side seat.

Advertisement

Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_7552.jpg

A week later she was on a tow truck en-route to our garage where she now waits to be brought back to life. I've never restored a car but I'm determined to learn and hopefully do most of the work myself to get her back on the road (with lots of guidance and encouragement from Toby!). I can't wait to see her restored to the elegant lady she once was. Wish me luck!

Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_7639.jpg

Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_7644.jpg
    Last edited by Ladydauphine; 23rd July 2017 at 05:48 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Looks a beauty. handy to be helped along the restoration road by someone that's been there before too!
    Ladydauphine likes this.

Dreams do come true.
    Ladydauphine likes this.

Hi Ladydauphine,

Know the car, it is an ex-Perth car, and although built some time ago, has had very little driving.

A lot of cleaning and detailing, with some mechanical work should see it on the road as a very nice classic.

I wish you lots of luck with your Dauph !!!

Ray
    Ladydauphine likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Welcome to AF Ladydauphine

I too was admiring that little gem on Gumtree

I am very glad it appears to have ended up in the right hands. You will fall in love even further with this little car when you get to drive it under its own steam. They are so cute and fun to drive.
    Ladydauphine likes this.
    cheers,

John

1000+ Posts

Welcome...very nice looking car!

Ray, is that the one formerly owned by one of the Euromotive guys?
    1991 PEUGEOT 405 Mi16

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

The only Renault that my wife has fond memories of as a kid growing up in Belgium is the Dauphine.
    If I didn't have a garage full of Florides and had room for one more car and I'd shown her that baby blue Dauph, I think she would of wanted that as well.
    J-man and Ladydauphine like this.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Hi STUEY,
    I believe this Dauph was rebuilt by "Graelin" and was for sale 2009, if I remember correctly. Was too good for me to take on, for what I wanted.

New it was there somewhere !!! F/S 1961 Renault Dauphine

Ray
    Ladydauphine and JohnW like this.
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

Hello all, it's Toby the mechanic here!

I've started by overhauling the braking system. It'd been completely disassembled by the prior owner, which made things quicker to get stuck into.

I've fitted new wheel cylinders all round, new brake hoses all round and a rebuilt the master cylinder. No wear inside the bore which is nice!

I was up to the point of cleaning out the brake fluid reservoir and refilling the system to bleed, but discovered the rubber at the bottom of the glass bottle has perished and cracked.

Any solutions? I know it's the same as the R8 and A110, but can't find any grommets or new reservoirs anywhere. I'd really like to have kept it original too, but the next resort will be a universal one I think.

EDIT- Found it! Turns out it's the same as many CitroŽn vehicles of the era.. and my most utilized parts store has them in stock!

https://www.franzose.de/en/Citroen-2...nder/ANR60307/

Thanks for the help!

Toby

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    Last edited by renault12; 22nd July 2017 at 07:08 PM.

Same as Peugeot 203 too I think, that grommet. There are plenty of sources of parts for these cars.

A big welcome Ladydauphine. We should encourage you to join the Renault 4CV Register of Australia, which is our national group of rear-engine Renaults. See http://www.4cvregisteraustralia.org/ and on the first photo there are 3-4 Dauphines at the left, rear of the lineup.

Presuming Ray is correct, and I'm sure he is, your car is featured in the film version of Robert Drewe's book "The Shark Net" if I recall correctly. To quote from the book, not a comedy I'd add, "After the committal, as I drove my mother's tiny old pale blue Renault that evening across the Narrows Bridge toward Ruth's house in South Perth, I had no imagination or wisdom left to deal with the next few hours." So, you have accidentally acquired a bit of Australian film history!

Those of us in Perth are pleased the car has resurfaced and in good hands.

We have a big Muster in Inverell, NSW, at Easter 2019, so there's a target for you!!

Best wishes with the restoration. It's a pretty sound base you are starting with if I recall the car correctly.
    Ladydauphine likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Thanks for the welcome John and thanks also for the suggestion, I'll definitely join.

Yes, Ray must be correct. I also heard about her celebrity status from Peter the previous owner. I couldn't believe it! Makes her even more special.

Be assured, she's in great hands. I'll keep you updated on the progress!

Liesel
    JohnW and MelanieYlang like this.

Thanks for the info Ray!

Liesel

Not too much work done this weekend, just a bit of cleaning up. Starting to get her shine back!
    Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_6115.jpg
    Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-fullsizerender.jpg
    Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_6117.jpg
    FIVEDOOR, bowie, J-man and 2 others like this.

Hi Ladydauphine,

Beautiful car you have there and enjoy it.

Would you like to put a NZ look on it?

Regards, Frans.
    J-man, JohnW, Ladydauphine and 1 others like this.
    Old enough to know better
    Young enough to do it anyway.

AHh! That this is great. It will be a treat for sure
    Ladydauphine likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Right.. Brains trust- I need some help!

Refitting the drums. Unfortunately, everything's been sitting in bags for quite some time, and I'm reassembling the rear brakes today. The front went together a treat. The rear, however, are causing quite some trouble.

I've reassembled everything and backed off the adjustment on both sides, but still can't get the drum on. I presume the shoes aren't centered.. but I can't see a method in any of the manuals I have here of how to refit the drum other than "fit the drum".

Here's where I'm at.

Ideas??

G'day,

I think there's a spring missing.

...or is it, it's hard to tell?

Also, the left hand adjuster looks like it could use a quarter turn in, that would help get the drum on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-d3c79542b3fc9862f8ba31ce56354cb1.jpg  
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 24th July 2017 at 12:29 PM.
    J-man likes this.

I lifted this photo from the below link. The spring that 59Foride is referring to, to my eyes appears to be on the other side of the shoes, with just the end of the loop showing on the front side. This photo seems to me to be identical to yours. So????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dauphine rear drum brake.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	98415

Month 18 | Richard's Renault Dauphine
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    G'day,

I think there's a spring missing.

...or is it, it's hard to tell?

Also, the left hand adjuster looks like it could use a quarter turn in, that would help get the drum on.

Thanks for the help!

The spring down the bottom is there, it's just hiding behind the shoes. It sits behind the plate which holds the shoes.

I'll turn the adjuster in a little more and let you know how I get on!

The shoes are also free to float, sideways and up and down a bit, so just having them a bit low, or not centred at the top will make it hard. For example, are shoes evenly spaced at the top? Yours don't look evenly spaced from centre at the slave cylinder, rather offset a bit to the left.

I see you had the usual fun getting the top spring on!! The rears are a bit fiddly, as I discovered late last year myself.

Agree re the left hand adjuster too.

Presume you've done the rear wheel bearings and bearing retainer grease seal too?

Some of us take this opportunity to go to silicone brake fluid BTW. I've been using it for 28 years with good results.

Good luck.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post

Some of us take this opportunity to go to silicone brake fluid BTW. I've been using it for 28 years with good results.

Good luck.
    predictable.

Well, we got to do another few hours work today. It's becoming quite addictive actually, and certainly very satisfying to see her coming back to life, even if we are still taking things apart instead of putting them back together!

While Toby battled with the brakes, I started to learn how to read a workshop manual. With some pointers on exactly what I needed to do, I set about pulling her engine apart for rebuilding.

We removed the cylinder head, which we'll be having overhauled while we rebuild the rest of the engine. We got a complete gasket set and a new set of pistons and liners (I'm learning all the technical talk as I go!) when we bought the car, but we'll need to pick up a few more parts as things come along.

Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_7672.jpg

The cylinder head came off quite easily, but we had to grind down a socket to be able to access one of the bolts without taking everything apart.

Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_7674.jpg

I've got to work tomorrow, but we're going to drop off the cylinder head to be overhauled while we press on with the rest of the car!

Here she sits, ready for the next work session!

Ladydauphine's FIRST 1961 Renault Dauphine-img_7675.jpg

We ended up discovering why the brake drum wouldn't fit too. The front brake shoes had been re-lined some time since she ended up off the road, and had never been used. They were nice and round, and went together perfectly. The back ones were original though, and the lining had started to 'buckle' and distort from round, which meant the high spots on the shoe rubbed on the drum. We dropped them in to Sydney Brake and Clutch with the drums to have them machined and the shoes re-lined. Should be great when it's all back together!

JohnW, I'm very interested in the idea of Silicone brake fluid. Do you need to change anything for it to be usable? Or now that the brake system is completely empty, can we just refill it with silicone fluid?

Thanks!
    Liesel
    renoamust likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi Ladydauphine, Beautiful car you have there and enjoy it. Would you like to put a NZ look on it?

Regards, Frans.
    Superb photo Frans. Just superb.
    J-man likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Re silicone brake fluid, the usual instruction seems to be that all rubber parts need replacing, which you are obviously doing. It is the correct opportunity. It has been OK for me with the rubber parts that I've bought for the two Renaults.

It is not hygroscopic so doesn't absorb water and doesn't need regular changes. My 4CV didn't have the brakes touched in more than 20 years, and I have it in the mighty R8 too. There are some odd negative reports out there, but personally I don't believe their logic. Silicone fluid is easy to aerate, so it mustn't be shaken in the bottle (but why would you?) and is expensive. But I re-use it (what comes from bleeding for example) by filtering it (coffee filter paper!) and have bought very few litres in the last 28 years. See what other advice comes through though.

Great to see the car being loved and returned to the road.

There is a special socket spanner to get into those head bolts BTW - one of the Renault folk in your part of the world probably has one. With the engine re-assembly, you cannot be too careful with the setting of the sleeve top relative to the block surface. Just critical.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Frans View Post
    Hi Ladydauphine,

Beautiful car you have there and enjoy it.

Would you like to put a NZ look on it?

Regards, Frans.
    I love your car Frans!
    I'll be going for more of an original look though , and besides, I'm sure I couldn't drive as fast as you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information