The Grand GTi Revival. - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 First 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The Grand GTi Revival.

Just as I feared, the manifold nuts are being extremely disagreeable. I've loosened two so far, spanner worked on one, had to use vice grips on the washer of the other one to loosen it. Only six more to go...yay.
    However, something I didn't foresee is the big arse crack across the number one runner, bummer.

I do happen to have at least one spare exhaust manifold, but I think it's from an Si.
    Does anyone, (looking firmly in Mr Wallis' direction), know if the Si and the GTi share the same headers?

Advertisement

Sometimes the answers here come thick and fast, at other times a bit slower! (?) Maybe you need to start a new thread?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

OK, I was going to let the more knowledgeable ppl answer you question but I can have a guess.

If you look at http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/0/03J50A.HTM and http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205N/0/03J50A.HTM you can see that the XU5M (Si engine) and XU9s share the same exhaust header. There appears to be different part number between the pre and post 91 models.

Most ppl grab a manifold from a 306 8v or equiv Citroen which have the extra strengthening bars... but an Si may suit as well.

The Grand GTi Revival.-1347a.jpg

By extra strengthening bars do you mean the supports between the ports?
    The spare I have has those pieces on both sides like the pic, but the GTi only has one on the cam belt end.

Hmmm, I think I've been pretty lucky with the contents of my spares pile.

Fellow Frogger!

Sorry I don't recall if my original manifold had one strengthening bar or none... all I noted is that it had the requisite crack on one of the 'legs', so it got flung when I was getting other work done.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElmo View Post
    By extra strengthening bars do you mean the supports between the ports?
    The spare I have has those pieces on both sides like the pic, but the GTi only has one on the cam belt end.

Hmmm, I think I've been pretty lucky with the contents of my spares pile.

So the Si manifold fits. The only thing I had to do was make some spacers for the two collector bolts, I don't know if the Si springs are a bit longer or the GTi ones had bits missing, but it fits, it doesn't leak and it got rid of that ugly ticking noise, so I'm happy.
    Took a good few hours to chisel off three or four of the super special copper washered 3/8 manifold nuts, managed to save all the studs and not bust the head, yay! Got some decent 13mm nuts and washers to refit it all, and job done I hope!

May have found the vaccuum leak I think I have, (??)
    I bought a cheap mechanics stethoscope yesterday, took off the solid metal probe bit and replaced it with a piece of rubber hose with a bit of aluminium tube on the end.
    Cranked up the GTi today stuck the stethoscope in my ear holes and started poking around, and there's a definite whoosh coming from the flywheel end of the intake manifold as well as from around the SECOND oil filler holder bolt, not the one I sealed up a few weeks ago.
    So I sealed up the bolt, no more whoosh from there, but I'm pretty sure the inlet manifold gasket is toast.
    I'll check a few more things tomorrow and then probably call EAI....
    CEyssens likes this.

Fixed it, turns out I put the wiper arm on the AFM all wonky.
    Now runs like a charm.
    (New intake gasket did nothing).
    BIGRR and CEyssens like this.

Took it to bathurst today to try and replicate my profile pic with the GTi, some idiot's having a race there! couldn't even get close.
    Armidillo likes this.

Put about two hundred miles on the little bugger so far, not an issue as yet.Totally different beast to the Si, (der), "Rorty" and "Delightful" are words that keep popping into my head.Steering is stupid heavy, but good for a laugh, and at speed...
    lozenge likes this.

Oh!
    Thanks to Mr Wallis for the bits, the light looks like it's done a targa or three but whatya expect for twenty bucks?
    And the dipstick seems to have the miraculous property of keeping the oil spotless, bonus!

Some decent pics for a change. Just back from a four hundred mile round trip to canberra, pretty much flawless.
    Fuel pump started getting intermittently noisy about a hundred miles from home,
    but the carrier was a bit loose in the tank, might be why.
    The Grand GTi Revival.-img_7106.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7107.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7112.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7113.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7114.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7108.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7109.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7110.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-img_7111.jpg
    CEyssens and SilverGTi_6 like this.

It's a very hollow victory sadly, The Wife left me last week so this whole f'ing thing is a bit meaningless at the mo'...

It's a very hollow victory sadly, The Wife left me last week so this whole f'ing thing is a bit meaningless at the mo'...
    I feel for you Evil, these must be tough days, hopefully you’ve got some good friends and family to lean on for support, chat etc.

Remembering back to a similar time for me a car project helped me focus on other things and kept me busy for a while.

Hopefully the GTI has put a few smiles on the dial

Elmo,
    T'would seem a lot of us have been in the same boat. It will get you down but stay with the good things.
    One morning you will wake up and wonder what all this crap is that's getting you down. It will have all gone, pphhtt!

yep, look after yourself Elmo, and stay on air.
    best wishes, Lo.

Thanks guys. No friends no family unfortunately, But I'll figure it out eventually I'm sure.

Yesterday.
    The Grand GTi Revival.-gti-rocks.jpg The Grand GTi Revival.-22552489_1698297640243191_6542556368504964254_n.jpg
    I'm calling that revived.
    BIGRR, CEyssens and ng850 like this.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread Information