The Grand GTi Revival. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: The Grand GTi Revival.

well I hate to say it but I'll be a no show on sunday. The rego's going to take another week at least on the GTi and the Si has a sticky brake caliper.
    I'm sure the french have a saying for this kind of thing, can't for the life of me remember what it is,

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElmo View Post
    well I hate to say it but I'll be a no show on sunday. The rego's going to take another week at least on the GTi and the Si has a sticky brake caliper.
    I'm sure the french have a saying for this kind of thing, can't for the life of me remember what it is,
    Saying must be something like just a another day

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElmo View Post
    BUGGER!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I don't want to sound like grandpa but the classic permit scheme is a very fortunate thing and once you have the permit you will appreciate that there are some barriers to getting one. If it was easy then plenty of sneaky idiots would get any old banger on the road and ruin the system. Already we see cars that clearly not enthusiast machines being used in the wrong way.
    S3 205 GTI x 5
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

I agree, it's a perfect scheme for things like the GTi. It's just unfortunate people always try to take advantage.
    Bit of a shame the RMS doesn't have it's own means of verifying the authenticity of enthusiasts who might not want to join a club.In my case, the focus on alcohol related activities is a serious issue, things like meetings at pubs, drives to vineyards and bottles of wine as prizes are things that I want nothing to do with.
    But if I wanna drive my classic car, I gotta join a club. So I'll join a friggin' club!

*I stopped drinking about 25 years ago, if you knew me back then you wouldn't need to ask why...
    Last edited by EvilElmo; 15th July 2017 at 10:24 PM.
    lozenge likes this.

I joined Phillip island just because they were a proper club and had a decent review system. They are also about track days rather than the concepts you mention. They do differ in their ideals.

Soooo, this happened today...
    The Grand GTi Revival.-after3.jpg

And this,
    The Grand GTi Revival.-after1.jpg

And just a little of this,
    The Grand GTi Revival.-after4.jpg

This was when I got it on april 6th, just as a reminder...
    The Grand GTi Revival.-img_7043.jpg The Grand GTi Revival.-img_7045.jpg
    It's still got a cough around 3500-4000rpm, hoping just a vaccum leak.
    The left front brake is sticking a little, maybe the slide pin thingos'
    And I still need to refit the resprayed hatch and spoiler/rear trim panel, probably do that tomorrow...

(Definitely basking in the glory)
    Last edited by EvilElmo; 27th July 2017 at 07:25 PM.
    lozenge, CEyssens and jech like this.

I really should thank the Gnoo Blas Classic Car Club as well, very helpful this morning with the paper work.
    Didn't help that I had filled out the wrong form, I assumed Classic rego would be appropriate for the 205, turns out it should be classified Historic because it's pre '88 and unmodified, classic is for modified pre '88 cars...Now I know!

Speaking of modified pre '88 cars, does anyone wanna buy a small block chev? I need to sell it so I can build my 48/215. I reckon I could have it done in a month...

A few details on the current engine issues for the curious...
    Starts idles and free revs fine, no smoke.
    When accelerating at light to medium throttle it runs fine until 3500rpm then dies pretty badly,
    I can hold it at a light throttle and it will rev through 3500-4100rpm at which point, not before, I stomp it to the floor and it revs very well, MUCH better than my Si.
    Also, if you gradually feed in the throttle to carefully match the rpm it works fine, but it is very tricky to get right.
    Pretty much sounds and feels just like a couple of poorly set up webers...

I'm going though checking for vac leaks at the moment. Put some non-hardening sealant on the oil filler retaining bolt on the manifold, looked like a blind hole to me but I've read they can leak, and made sure the brake vac line seals on the manifold properly. Still need to have a good look at the hose for the SAD I think it is. Also still has twenty year old spark plugs, (!)
    I did have some fuel pressure issues I'm assuming I fixed but I haven't double checked yet,
    And I'm hoping it's not the AFM, fingers crossed...
    My money at this stage is vaccum, it's ALWAYS vaccum! Or oxidized connections...
    Last edited by EvilElmo; 28th July 2017 at 08:04 PM.

For the record I think I've spent about $2300 on this venture so far, including the car, parts, rego, trailer hire, diesel and all.

Also got to see someone who's definitely not called Dave, proclaim confidently, on approaching maccas drive thru Cowra,
    "Nah, I can get in there!" whilst driving a 4WD rodeo with full size double axle car trailer attached.
    Turns out he couldn't....
    Guess who got to run down an ever increasing line of breakfast traffic explaining "yes he is stuck, yes that's right he doesn't fit, and yes, they WOULD have to reverse all the way back to the entry, and quickly please....
    Fun times!
    Armidillo likes this.

More piccies. Sorry about the quality of some, it was getting dark and I was using a phone.

Some new seats would be nice...
    The Grand GTi Revival.-d.jpg The Grand GTi Revival.-e.jpg

Not all bad news...I still need to refit the vents and some trim bits, and fix the shifter boot.
    The Grand GTi Revival.-g.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-f.jpgThe Grand GTi Revival.-j.jpg

Engine bay, when I bought it, and yesterday.
    The Grand GTi Revival.-20170310_085434.jpg The Grand GTi Revival.-.jpg
    Last edited by EvilElmo; 29th July 2017 at 07:06 PM.
    jech likes this.

How did you go about doing this clean?

Engine bay, when I bought it, and yesterday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170310_085434.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	98727 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	98728[/QUOTE]
    S3 205 GTI x 5
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

Mostly WD40 and a rag, I just cleaned random bits as I worked on them. As you can see, I've been working on a lot of random bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I joined Phillip island just because they were a proper club and had a decent review system. They are also about track days rather than the concepts you mention. They do differ in their ideals.
    Im a member of PIARC too. Awesome club, good people and relaxed vibe!

Got sick of trying to figure out why the car isn't running quite right, so I took for a drive to the lake.
    Returned via the pinnacle for those in the know...
    The Grand GTi Revival.-gti-lakeside.jpg
    (It's not blurry, it's artistic!)

This was my first proper drive really, filled out the log book and everything!
    Apart from the running issues it feels like a pretty tight little car. The brakes are still a little sticky but feel nice and solid,
    gearbox is quiet, feels smooth, (full of 10w/40), handling is ridiculous, and almost no rattles!
    Took off the ford courier oil filter, (I dunno either) and stuck on a new ryco and MORE fresh oil, and some new plugs, adjusted the handbrake properly so it actually works.
    Also tried disconnecting the brake vac system, plugging up the hole in the inlet and going for a drive, I was pretty sure I had a leak in there somewhere. Turns out I don't, so the search goes on...
    - The fittings on the SAD aren't leaking, dunno if the SAD itself closes when it gets warm, might try disconnecting it....
    If it does end up being the AFM I'd probably prefer to replace the whole
    dealy with some sidedrafts...
    Last edited by EvilElmo; 9th August 2017 at 07:49 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice. I met a Kangaroo there one night at full throttle in my old STi between the lake entrance and the Borodell winery . Not sure who was more shocked but thank **** for the stopping power in that car. I had an old car that would only run right on full throttle and it turned out to be the O2 sensor it was using when on part throttle (can't remember which way around the maps are closed loop vs open) not sure if it's similar on the pug.

Fellow Frogger!

Lucky you weren't trying that loop last winter Sorry trying to work out how flickr works after photobucket screwed everyone.

snowroadweb by David Mclean, on Flickr

I was amazed I didn't see any critters yesterday, apart from two cyclists. F'ed if I'd ride that road in the dark!
    I had my old daihatsu out in the snow a couple of years ago, so much fun! Only time it didn't feel underpowered.

Finally got around to fixing the cassette player, what a flash back! It just had some tape wrapped around the roller.
    Sounds just like you'd expect an eighties car stereo to sound like, terrible!
    Lucky I still have all my tapes!
    Also finished up putting the trim and badges on the hatch, and refitted a heap of interior bits...

1000+ Posts

mmm, got to clean the head on mine, sounds quite ok with Load and Dolby, the metal setting dulls it consideraby, my taste un music might be questionable though.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

Alcohol and cotton buds, just like the good old days! LOL.
    Easier to do when the unit is out of the dash with the lid off, a head cleaning tape would work almost as well, if you can find one!

Still slowly diagnosing engine issues, looks like the vacuum advance isn't getting enough signal to function properly.
    The hose is good and the advance works when I suck on it, so might be a blocked fitting.
    Also found a blown gasket on the head side of the exhaust header which explains the ticking noise.
    I'm not looking forward to getting the nuts off the thing, but at least the noise wasn't the cam!

Got what I think was EAI's last set of exhaust gaskets today.
    That means I'll have to fit the bloody things.
    Cleaned out the fitting for the vac advance, still seems to have bugger all signal.
    I've got a vaccum gauge on the way so once that arrives I'll set up the air/fuel, throttle stop, and throttle switch properly...

Fellow Frogger!

Soak the nuts.... good advice even if we aren't talking cars.

I found they came off ok. Got a photo of the vac advance part you are talking about as I might have it still from when I pulled out my motor

They're on "pre soak" right now, I might even get the motor nice and warm and try to wick some candle wax down the threads.

At the moment it seems like there's not enough vacuum at the throttle body to activate the vacuum advance unit,
    I don't know yet if the vacuum unit itself is not working, or if I'm losing vacuum somewhere else, once i get a test gauge I should know more...

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread Information