Vince's ongoing DS23... - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Vince's ongoing DS23...

1000+ Posts

impressed you didn't use gloves with that stuff it isn't easy to get off skin.

Advertisement
    Vincenzo likes this.

Fellow Frogger

Remember, POR15 needs to be overcoated as is will become chalky with UV exposure.
    Vincenzo likes this.

Forumnoreason: Sometimes I find the gloves to be a bit restrictive - I tried very hard to not get any on me and succeeded...

David S: Virtually all areas cleaned back and painted will be covered by trim of some description. I'm hitting the scuttle this weekend after a lazy weekend off, just gone. I expect it will be a full two day event..
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

The latest update: Starting the scuttle strip and repaint. The end of this section of work is getting close and other car parts are coming together.

https://youtu.be/4sjqKJ_QJZA
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

Bikes -

1000+ Posts

I concur gloves are a pain, I just seam sealed my doors prior to further coats of paint and ditched the gloves for a better smearing effect with bare skinned digit finger! You can push the crap in further into the edges, and inside the doors, especially useful as the gloves even with thinners drags and gets caught up with sealer. Still bits of crap on my hands two days later. Messy stuff.
    Vincenzo likes this.

ha ha the sacrifices we make. If someone asked what the most useful tool to have in the workshop I'd have to reply 'my fingers'. nails in good condition are a bonus too!

Finally finished off the front part of the scuttle after having to stop prior to painting yesterday. I was a little disturbed to see how many small patches I had missed on the first few passes of the tools. So I had to hit them with a bit more elbow-grease before spraying.

https://youtu.be/-iZPeUVbAh0 41 secs worth of Lightning Hopkins to add entertainment value. Otherwise the soundtrack would be very blue of another kind..
    Le Parisian likes this.

Bikes -

1000+ Posts

YOUR chassis is becoming a beautiful piece of restoration work, go Vince!

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    The latest update: Starting the scuttle strip and repaint. The end of this section of work is getting close and other car parts are coming together.

https://youtu.be/4sjqKJ_QJZA
    Extensive and very comprehensive restoration must admit you’re very brave and luckily not much rust showing, can’t wait to see the end results this is going to be a beauty wish you all the very best.

Thank you guys. It has been an education for sure. I have couple of days of bed rest and not allowed to talk (sacre bleu!) so I will gather some of the choice photos and post them.

For painting the chassis I started of with the idea of giving the existing cover a damn good scuff and then painting over top. The first hint of underlying rust had to be chased and although it was superficial I decided that everything had to go back to the metal, bit by bit. If I do another car I will pay for the dip and spray package to be done in a week...

The front was largely free of rust, the rear not so much. A small delay of a year and a bunch of new stuff fixed that!

Bikes -

There have been a few small issues with time and motivation. Shitty cold weather hasn't helped and some weekend work (I work to pay for the car..) and family things really ruined my September momentum.

Anyways, I'm back on the tools now with the chassis bolted onto a 'Tilt-A-Car' courtesy of David Jones at AutoFrance in Auckland. I'm being charged a box of guinness hireage!

The 90 sec video is here (https://youtu.be/2Z1-Ga_3VAc) and it features the first hit of the degreaser under the belly pan. The main event is hitting the last part of the caisson up to anti-rust undercoat. Next week the por15 topcoat will be applied.
    dimistyle and GreenBlood like this.

Bikes -

Fellow Frogger!

You're still making better progress than I am Vincent!
    Vincenzo likes this.

Good to hear the team at Auto France are still helping the french car owners, we used a couple of their DS' s for our wedding vehicles. They also keep our BX on the road. Great job keep on with the momentum!

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Vincenzo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Budge View Post
    You're still making better progress than I am Vincent!
    I also did a small audit of what is in boxes that I hadn't looked in for some time. Then I got kind of depressed. There is still a lot to do!

Bikes -

Fellow Frogger!

I also did a small audit of what is in boxes that I hadn't looked in for some time. Then I got kind of depressed. There is still a lot to do!
    Tell me about it. i've got crates of the stuff - and loads of little freezer bags full of parts, nuts and bolts.

Tell me about it. i've got crates of the stuff - and loads of little freezer bags full of parts, nuts and bolts.
    Yogurt pottles, small tin cans, empty spray bottles - they are all fair game. It has taken 2 years to train my wife in the art of asking herself "Can this be used at the shed?" before throwing anything away..

Bikes -

Fellow Frogger!

Yogurt pottles, small tin cans, empty spray bottles - they are all fair game. It has taken 2 years to train my wife in the art of asking herself "Can this be used at the shed?" before throwing anything away..
    Yes - my wife is on board with that too Any moderately sized cardboard box gets saved for me - just in case. We have even opened preliminary negotiations on the cost of a respray. it pays to plan ahead!

we are also eating a lot more ice cream than we used to as i get through a large number of those plastic tubs with lids......
    Vincenzo likes this.

Don't forget that every dollar you spend on your D will be at least a 1:1 (possibly 1:2 ratio) on something for her. My resto is costing me a kitchen..

Bikes -

Fellow Frogger!

Mine cost a house move (I got a double garage and workshop out of the deal) AND it's costing me an over-garage extension. Actually not complaining. House move was a no-brainer and the kids love playing in a bigger garden. Happy family = happy Budge
    Vincenzo likes this.

The journey continues. After a bit of testing of products and techniques I realised that I either have to spend a bit of money (that quite frankly I'd rather spend on a repaint or new reverse lights etc etc) on fancy cleaning hireage or just knuckle down and get with the program. Yes, I am degreasing the underbelly.. The original coating appears to be broken through on one small spot. There are a few battle scars but nowhere near as many as I thought there would be.

Video is 1min 20secs

At the rate I'm working this will likely be a 5 day job.. Getting some other small stuff done as well when I take breaks from the scrubbing.

Bikes -

Actually not complaining.
    I'm glad about that. I have to drive 29km to my garage...

Bikes -

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information