• 2 Post By DS23EFI
  • 3 Post By forumnoreason
  • 2 Post By Budge
  • 1 Post By DS23EFI

Thread: 1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto

Tadpole

Default 1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto

Hi All,

Thought I'd start up a thread on my resto of a 1973 Citroen DS23 in AC640 Delta Blue, with the fabulously 70s optional black vinyl roof!

Advertisement

It's a Pallas with EFI and a semi-auto so it's about as complicated as it can get...!

Panels with the exception of the wings and bonnet are shot as a consequence of the rainy weather here in the UK - but the caisson itself is remarkably solid - the C pillars look factory fresh, and the sills need minimal welding.

1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_0525.jpg
    1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6896.jpg

When we picked it up the starter motor unhelpfully didn't want to budge (it's been off the road since 2008) - so I've whipped off the wings as they'll eventually be resprayed and started to remove everything to get to the starter motor.

1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6987.jpg

Unfortunately I've now discovered this:

1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6898.jpg
    1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6899.jpg

Both exhaust manifolds have shattered - and it looks like this is a result of the 2 in 1 point striking something hard as it has a huge dent in the front of it. What a pain. Anyone got any ideas as to how to remove this mess in the best way?

It does however need an entire new exhaust as the old one is rotten, so I'll just replace the lot in one go.

On the panel front I have been very lucky so far; I have a friendly classic Citroen parts dealer local to me so I have managed to source a rust free boot lid and 2 very very good l/h/s doors; just waiting for a set of right hand doors now...

1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6924.jpg

Interior wise it's got a very nice set of brown leather - looking a little tired but nothing a bit of TLC won't sort out. Not original to the car but looks great anyway. The headlining has gone missing at some point so I'll need to fit a replacement.

This is likely to be a very slow restoration - I'm 17 so I'll be taking my time to make sure it's done right! I'm reasonably sure my parents think I'm batty - but I've got an uncle with a few D series cars so we're fairly well acquainted with them (He's doing up a DSuper5 at the minute). Nevertheless I'm sure that I'll end up asking loads of questions on here...!

Cheers

Enzo
    lozenge and Le Parisian like this.

You've got a headstart on most here Enzo with age so that's a positive! Keep that Delta bleu. The best way to remove the mess is start clearing obstacles in your way. Which is what you're doing by the looks of it! Keep photos and store everything in a concise (as possible) manner and label them! Download the manuals so you have bed time breakfast and weekend reading to clue you in to tasks. My motto on a D restoration is failure is not an option but time and money are the hurdles. Plus having the right tools on hand to tackle stuff. An uncle is handy, keep him. Chuck the Rover. Now!
    lozenge, DS23EFI and Le Parisian like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Welcome and congratulations Enzo. There are a few of us from the UK lurking on this site. And a few Aussies lurking on the CCC 'D series' forum in the UK. Are you going to be able to get yourself along the the DS rally in the UK in early June? It's 9, 10 and 11 June at Little Horwood in Bucks. You can get loads of advice and tips from like-minded souls, and maybe find some pieces. You don't have to be a Club member to attend and don't need to bring your DS if it's not roadworthy.

Starter:- does the engine crank manually? can you rule out a seized engine? Hopefully so. If you're going to pull your starter off, you're well advised to remove the exhaust manifold anyway, so the fact it's in several (more) pieces already is possibly helpful
    DS23EFI and Le Parisian like this.

Tadpole

Thanks guys for the lovely welcome

forumnoreason - keeping the delta blue anyway since I think it looks fab! Manuals have been downloaded and everything is stored in tupperware containers. I totally agree about time and money - I want to do this once and do it right.

Budge - hopefully getting to the Horwood rally on the 10th - although I've got an A Level exam on the 12th so timing might be tight. However I am looking forward to it since it sounds great!

Engine wise it cranks on the handle and has good compression so I'm assuming for the time being that it should be fine - hence the dodgy starter motor. it just clicks, and using the daisy doesn't help it either; so either way it's all got to come off to have a look at the motor itself and the wiring.

In other news:I've removed the whole exhaust up to the flexi pipe - which has rusted itself to the 2 in 1 manifold pipe (which is also scrap). This will come out with the remains of the manifold.

I've also been soaking the manifold nuts periodically in WD40 as they were rusted on and I didn't want to snap the studs. Happily, all of the nuts bar one have come off easily (although a couple of studs unscrewed with them) and I have therefore removed most of the remains of the manifold! Great success!

1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6993.jpg1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6994.jpg1973 DS 23 Pallas EFI Resto-img_6995.jpg

That stubborn nut is still soaking so should come off tomorrow.Now all that's left to do is remove the last bits of the manifold off the head and downpipe, and then drop the last of the exhaust off the car. I feel a trip to Darrin for parts is on the horizon...
    Le Parisian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DS23EFI View Post
    Thanks guys for the lovely welcome

forumnoreason - keeping the delta blue anyway since I think it looks fab! Manuals have been downloaded and everything is stored in tupperware containers. I totally agree about time and money - I want to do this once and do it right.

Budge - hopefully getting to the Horwood rally on the 10th - although I've got an A Level exam on the 12th so timing might be tight. However I am looking forward to it since it sounds great!

Engine wise it cranks on the handle and has good compression so I'm assuming for the time being that it should be fine - hence the dodgy starter motor. it just clicks, and using the daisy doesn't help it either; so either way it's all got to come off to have a look at the motor itself and the wiring.

In other news:I've removed the whole exhaust up to the flexi pipe - which has rusted itself to the 2 in 1 manifold pipe (which is also scrap). This will come out with the remains of the manifold.

I've also been soaking the manifold nuts periodically in WD40 as they were rusted on and I didn't want to snap the studs. Happily, all of the nuts bar one have come off easily (although a couple of studs unscrewed with them) and I have therefore removed most of the remains of the manifold! Great success!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6993.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	95930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6994.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	95931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6995.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	95932

That stubborn nut is still soaking so should come off tomorrow.Now all that's left to do is remove the last bits of the manifold off the head and downpipe, and then drop the last of the exhaust off the car. I feel a trip to Darrin for parts is on the horizon...
    Congratulations on your purchase this will turn out to be another great looking DS back on the road once completed, you have a significant amount of work in front of you and trust me I speak from experience so at first instance you need to cancel all of your weekends for at least a year save as much money as you can, be patient, take lots of photos and stand back as you go and admire your work.
    Good luck
    Philippe

If you haven't seen it already have a gander at Citrothello site restorations, that will not only inspire you but give you an insanely high benchmark to aim for. The restamping he does tops the cake, an OCD's delight.

Thread Information