Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!

Default Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!

Hi All,

After many years on/off searching, I've finally got my hands on a 205 gti!

Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!-thumbnail_img_64962.jpg

It's an 88 model S1. 290K on the clock. I've only taken it for a 5 minute drive. It goes okay but I don't expect much life left in the motor. The plan is to get this back into decent shape, put it on club reg, then sort out the motor.. either rebuild or mi16 conversion.

The interior was moldy like nothing I've seen before and the carpet was soaked. Last weekend I stripped + steam cleaned everything and it came out like new.
    I've purchased replacement underlay but am yet to put everything back together as it's still leaking water into both passenger + drivers footwells. I can't pinpoint the area but looks to be coming in from under the front plastic grill between the windscreen and bonnet. Due to this, it's created some surface rust. Has anyone had similar leaks with their 205?

Advertisement

I'm not the most mechanically gifted and I know this will give me many headaches, but I'm up for the challenge. I apologize in advance for any of the dumb questions I may ask from time to time
    SilverGTi_6 and dj4llen like this.
    current S1 205 GTI + S3 306 GTI6
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Congrats Moeozz nice GTI, I do like the white ones, and another S1, and in Melb

...no such thing as dumb questions just dumb answers...

I am guessing the drains are blocked with leaves/gunk (?). Have a look around the bonnet hinge area. If blocked you should be able to clean them out with a hose from above and below.

Hope it is that easy.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by BIGRR View Post
    I am guessing the drains are blocked with leaves/gunk (?). Have a look around the bonnet hinge area. If blocked you should be able to clean them out with a hose from above and below.

Hope it is that easy.
    I had that with Little Silver, plenum blocked and built up above bonnet to windscreen. Once I vacuumed it out and washed it the car dried out, no more new mould... fingers crossed

Well, if it's got a trail of rust, my suggestion would be to follow the rust to find where it's coming from.

That said, I would take it through a car wash with the carpet removed.

My money sez it's the rear window rubbers, especially since you found leaks in the back. This can be a very stealthy leak as it goes directly under the plastic side trim and straight for the passenger footwell, under the carpet. Took forever to track it down. Water comes in around rubber seal through capillarity. Use some good silicone grease to insulate and take the car again through the wash, see what happens.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

good work. Put this project in the restoration section and post as you go.
    It adds a little weight but you can get square 2mm thick, hard, sticky, black, square deadening sheets that you mould over the floor pan, taking out quite a lot general vibration noise and also heat from the exhaust tunnel. Worth finding and doing.
    S3 205 GTI x 5
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

Can a mod please move this to the restoration projects section?

I've finally got the old engine out and now just waiting on some stuff to arrive to put the new in.
    I took the engine out from the top, it was tricky maneuvering around the battery tray and only realised it was removable until afterwards!
    Unfortunately, I took out the dash which I now regret, but I wanted unhindered access to the loom and it was cracked/rattling anyway. This might give me a chance to toughen it up with some fibreglass backing I've heard people do.

The engine bay is filthy and showing its age, I'll give it a good clean before considering painting it. I can't find the paint code anywhere so may have to call Peugeot for this.

Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpgFinally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpg

So far so good, but removing the engine was never going to be the difficult part!
    blekk and dj4llen like this.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Fellow Frogger!

Probably this one

White
    Alpine
    P0WT

Fellow Frogger!

and that's not dirty.....
    dhaw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    Probably this one

White
    Alpine
    P0WT

I called 2 Peugeot dealerships and both could not find the code based on the VIN, apparently their records dont go that far..
    I'll look into the Alpine White further.

and that's not dirty.....
    I work in an office, anything is dirty for me
    dhaw likes this.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by moeozz View Post
    I called 2 Peugeot dealerships and both could not find the code based on the VIN, apparently their records dont go that far..
    I'll look into the Alpine White further.

As Warus said, Alpine White (Blanc Mieje) P0WT is the correct PSA colour designation for that vintage GTi.

In the 93 vintage Bianca White (Blanc Banquise) P0WP was added to the range and replaced Alpine White for the final 94 vintage.

Interestingly, Bianca White is still a current colour... and the only colour from the 205 era, in the Peugeot (208) range.

PSA don't have information available for the Series 1/Phase 1 (741xxx) 205 vehicles so the dealers will draw a blank with ServiceBox :-(.

griffo

Another 205 getting looked after! Great work!
    moeozz likes this.
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Default Can a mod please move this to the restoration projects section?

Quote Originally Posted by ng850 View Post
    As Warus said, Alpine White (Blanc Mieje) P0WT is the correct PSA colour designation for that vintage GTi.

In the 93 vintage Bianca White (Blanc Banquise) P0WP was added to the range and replaced Alpine White for the final 94 vintage.

Interestingly, Bianca White is still a current colour... and the only colour from the 205 era, in the Peugeot (208) range.

PSA don't have information available for the Series 1/Phase 1 (741xxx) 205 vehicles so the dealers will draw a blank with ServiceBox :-(.

griffo
    Correct, even took a punt and contacted a dealer in the UK, same result.

The engine bay definitely needs a respray. As keen as I am wanting to get it back on the road asap, I'd rather do it properly the first time around. Does anyone know the HEX colour code for Alpine White?

I also want to replace all the bottles as mine are yellowish, are these available anywhere?
    Last edited by moeozz; 16th February 2017 at 12:49 PM.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

I also want to replace all the bottles as mine are yellowish, are these available anywhere?
    The bottles are on eBay uk, let me know if you can't find them I'll send you a link or two.
    cheers Craig

[...]

You chose the wrong hobby. Have a look into collecting stamps.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 7th March 2017 at 01:24 AM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

The engine bay is filthy and showing its age, I'll give it a good clean before considering painting it. I can't find the paint code anywhere so may have to call Peugeot for this.
    The last paint code I saw on a 205 was on the passenger side of the front bash panel - usually where the compliance plate is riveted on right over the top of it.

Here's a pic of one where the plate is somewhere else so you can see the paint code (red circle):

Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!-205colourcode.jpg
    zaccy likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Yep I checked there and pretty much the entire engine bay, still no luck. I might just have to use the petrol cap for matching it although wont be as accurate

How do I get a Mod to move this thread to Projects?
    Last edited by moeozz; 16th February 2017 at 04:11 PM.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

I started cleaning the engine bay this weekend. Came out better than expected but there are some spots beyond repair and will need a touch up.
    I went into supercheap auto and to my surprise they had the P0WT (blanc Miele) paint code in their system. There were 3 slightly different shades so I took a chance on 1.
    The battery tray was rusted and even cracked. I tried my best at welding and then gave it a coat of paint. Looks good. I'm still contemplating whether to paint the entire bay or just touch up/blend in the bad spots.
    Im yet to get into the nitty gritty work though. I have all the filters and timing belt/water pump for the mi16 engine, but I may handball this off to a mechanic instead and check the core stuff at the same time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	93769Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpgFinally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpgFinally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpg
    CEyssens, Roland and renoamust like this.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Some new goodies just arrived
    Finally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpgFinally bought a 205...now the problems!!-image.jpg
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Very nice!
    ...and I see you got the fast hoses
    moeozz likes this.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket diff bearing for BE1? Peugeot product code is 312518 but a little pricey at $120 each and not in stock atm...
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Fellow Frogger!

On a 205GTi.Drivers thread Be Box Rebuild/refresh/refurb Part Sourcing, And Be1-3 Part Crossover - Gearbox & Drivetrain - 205GTIDrivers.com someone said...

Diff bearings are SKF part No JL69345F310Q, they cost 39 EACH from Peugeot now (3125 18 , BRG 38x63-17)

These bearings appear to available from sources on the web but your local bearing supplier might have them in stock.

Get off your office butt and take your bearing to a bearing place (or just ring up and give them some relevant info). My money sez they're going to match it easily from any of the usual respectable suspects (NSK, NTN, SKF, FAG, etc.). All the bearings I found on my 205GTI S1 have found SKF part numbers immediately (that includes the front wheel bearings). These manufacturers are probably bound by contracts not to sell these bearings as long as Peugeot still services the cars, but I guess that contract has expired a long time ago.

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I did read that post and many others. Some mention timken, smr, skf, koyo. I've compared all types and apart from the main dimensions, they have minor differences in the angles and tolerances etc. Without going through Peugeot directly, I'll never know.
    I took a gamble on some skf jl69349/310/q at $17 each. Fingers crossed.
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Get off your office butt and take your bearing to a bearing place (or just ring up and give them some relevant info). My money sez they're going to match it easily from any of the usual respectable suspects (NSK, NTN, SKF, FAG, etc.). All the bearings I found on my 205GTI S1 have found SKF part numbers immediately (that includes the front wheel bearings). These manufacturers are probably bound by contracts not to sell these bearings as long as Peugeot still services the cars, but I guess that contract has expired a long time ago.
    Haha. I did pull apart a spare be3 diff I had and without proper press there's no way that bearing is coming off. I couldn't see any markings either so not sure what a bearing shop could make from it.
    Im not ready to pull apart my be1 diff yet but knowing my luck I bet the markings will be visible :s
    previous s2 306 GTI6

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread Information