Daphne: 1974 D Spécial purchased October 2016 - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Results 51 to 75 of 169
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Daphne: 1974 D Spécial purchased October 2016

  1. #51
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,994

    Icon3

    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    This just gets better and better. Today I heard the drive shafts are in and the tie rod end, but there's some new things to be done:

    -Replace l-shaped rubber intake pipe between carby and air cleaner
    -Replace headlight reflectors - anyone know where I can get these?
    -Rear RH reflector is cracked, does anyone have an undamaged one I could purchase?
    -Back seat upright not bolted in securely - should it? It wasn't bolted in when I got it.
    -Fix exhaust manifold leak

    I tell you, if I knew what a pain in the whatsit this all would be, I'd have run the other way!


    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Oh dear Melanie, you do sound disheartened. . .

    The big rubber from carbi to aircleaner can be had as a repro item, Roger Parker should have them in stock (confirm which carbi your car has weber and solex will be different.

    Repro headlights are available again Roger should have stock. Another option is to remove the glass, cut the bottom away and fit generic lens/reflector (glued into the front cut section - you need this as it has the correct securing mounts)
    michaelr explains the process here post #23 > DS lights

    I can send you a rear reflector (will have misplaced your mailing address, PM and I'll post).

    Back seat? Mine is not bolted, from memory I believe it can be to satisfy roadworthy, probably an M7 in the two bottom corners - you should see a loop at the bottom of the seat frame and securing points on the chassis.

    Exhaust manifold leak? It's a bit of a job to investigate, if it's at the downpipe flange you may get away with tightening the nuts (easier said than done). It may be that you need a new gasket set, biggish job to remove the manifold and generally accompanied by having a good look at starter motor condition whilst there. . .

    Good luck and sing out if we can help

    Cheers
    Chris

    Advertisement
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  2. #52
    1000+ Posts garyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    Melanie
    most of the items are "par for the course" and would be parallel for most old cars!
    Nah, the list isn't too bad really. (Rust is my biggest no-no).

    And in DS terms, it is pretty minor stuff.
    Plenty of good support available via AF.
    Once a D has had a thorough fix-up, it tends to be pretty reliable.
    And fun.
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    Once upon a time:


    Many R4s (incl. fourgonnette), R5LS, R16TS.


    GS 1015, 1220, sedans and wagons.
    CX 2200, 2400.
    ID 1966, 1969, DS21H, DSpecial, DS23 Pallas.
    C5 2002, 2004 petrol and diesel.
    sold ..... D Special 1974 ... to fellow Tassie AFer.
    sold ..... Xantia Activa 1998 (look out Gulargambone)
    sold .....GS 5 speed sedan (what a tale)
    sold .... 1986 2CV6

    And now:

    C5 2.2 HDI 2005 wagon
    CX25GTi 1985 auto
    CX2500 IE Pallas 1985 auto
    DS23 1973 Pallas
    DS23EFI 1975 Pallas

  3. #53
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garyk View Post
    Melanie
    most of the items are "par for the course" and would be parallel for most old cars!
    Nah, the list isn't too bad really. (Rust is my biggest no-no).

    And in DS terms, it is pretty minor stuff.
    Plenty of good support available via AF.
    Once a D has had a thorough fix-up, it tends to be pretty reliable.
    And fun.
    Hi Gary,

    The rust is getting cut out next week!

    I bloody hope it'll be worth it in the end, this has been such a huge learning curve.

    Melanie

    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

  4. #54
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    Oh dear Melanie, you do sound disheartened. . .

    The big rubber from carbi to aircleaner can be had as a repro item, Roger Parker should have them in stock (confirm which carbi your car has weber and solex will be different.

    Repro headlights are available again Roger should have stock. Another option is to remove the glass, cut the bottom away and fit generic lens/reflector (glued into the front cut section - you need this as it has the correct securing mounts)
    michaelr explains the process here post #23 > DS lights

    I can send you a rear reflector (will have misplaced your mailing address, PM and I'll post).

    Back seat? Mine is not bolted, from memory I believe it can be to satisfy roadworthy, probably an M7 in the two bottom corners - you should see a loop at the bottom of the seat frame and securing points on the chassis.

    Exhaust manifold leak? It's a bit of a job to investigate, if it's at the downpipe flange you may get away with tightening the nuts (easier said than done). It may be that you need a new gasket set, biggish job to remove the manifold and generally accompanied by having a good look at starter motor condition whilst there. . .

    Good luck and sing out if we can help

    Cheers
    Chris
    Thanks Chris, you're a mine of information.

    I'll check the reflector to make sure what actually needs replacing and get back to you (the car is a hundred kays away).

    I have tried contacting Roger Parker on a number of occasions by email and phone, and left messages, but never heard back - does anyone know if he's okay and still doing business?

    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

  5. #55
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Ashburton
    Posts
    136

    Default

    I got a message from roger yesterday. He is moving so in a bit of a disorganized state but he indicated he would be able to supply he parts I needed which was great.

    Don,t get disheartened. They are such great cars once the bugs are worked through. Mine was a pain at first but is now totally reliable ( woops perhaps I shouldn't have said that ....).

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Grafton
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Hi Melanie good know Daphne is returning to health.
    We had a 1975 D special the same colour as yours until recently. It gave 12 years reliable service and us still going strong with its new loving owner. Actually it was Erin's car.
    She got compliments on the car constantly.
    It wasn't in bery good condition at first, but when the details sorted no problem!
    The exhaust manifold is a nuisance, but getting to the starter motor is underneath the manifold so I strongly recoment you go just a little further and take the starter off
    For service. I had the manifold off my DS23 a few monthes ago then had the starter fail very soon after.
    It took me a whole weekend to remove and replace the manifold and new modern design starter.
    From Citroen Classics UK.
    Keep up the good work. David

  7. #57
    Fellow Frogger
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,744

    Default

    Which headlamp? Inner or outer or both? Does the main headlamp self-levelling work? I'd guess not, so you probably want to disable it for the moment and just make sure the main lamps are secured and adjusted correctly. Do the inner lamps turn with the steering wheel? There's not a lot to it, but there are quite a few small plastic bits that let go. Also, the rod that hooks into the small bellcrank on the RH steering relay can be fitted either way, one being correct and the other not. It has to go on so that the kink in it clears the steering relay. If you don't it gets bent.

    For the outer headlamps I'd support the H4 headlamp conversion per the link Chris gave. It helps, but you also need to cut the harness and fit a new H4 socket. As the diameter is smaller, you will need a thick bed of white urethane sealant to fit it. Not the angle the headlamps units adopt when you determine the orientation of your new headlamps. To do this job you need to remove the front guards to get access to the headlamp buckets. I don't think you would have to remove the buckets to get at the headlamps, but if you want to paint the inside if the buckets or remove/reseal the headlamp glass, the buckets must come out. It's a job that seems more intimidating that it actually turns out to be. The little plastic lugs the adjusters snap into on the back of the headlamps will be brittle. If they let go and move back and forward, you may be able to secure them with a small strip of rubber jammed underneath. An old pipe seal does the job.

    Does your car have the Weber carby or a Solex? I assume being late it would be Weber, but I think the rubber joiner differs between these carbs.

    Exhaust manifold leaks can be a pain. Fixing it is nothing really unusual, but there should be a bracket between the edge of the sump and the front of the flexible section where the downpipe slips inside it. The bracket often breaks away or is left out, which is bad because it then shakes the downpipe and manifolds around, when the idea is that the downpipe should be fixed to the engine and all the movement taken by the flex pipe. So, look a the front of the downpipe for your leak to begin with.

  8. #58
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Thanks for the extensive information, we really appreciate it. Paul got onto Roger, who has most of the things we need. Thanks also for the encouragement, I think that was what I needed most of all - I keep hearing that it will all be worth it in the end.

    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Last edited by MelanieYlang; 16th May 2017 at 11:28 PM.

  9. #59
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quick update on progress: most recently, rust has been cut out of the bottoms of doors, and under the headlights.

    We got to meet Roger Parker recently on a trip to SA and brought home a pair of reproduction headlight units, some gaskets for the exhaust manifold, and a rubber elbow for the carby / air cleaner - he was a delight to deal with, despite some memory difficulties (which explained why I'd had trouble getting in touch with him). Once we install these and do a couple of other small jobs, we should be ready for roadworthy.

    Out of interest, our inspector said the back seat should be secured - is it normal for them to be easily moved/lifted out?

    On a fun note, I commissioned a friend to immortalise us in a caricature for a party invitation...here's what she came up with!

    garyk and Vincenzo like this.

  10. #60
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I don't know about any adaptations that might have been necessary for Oz regs, but here in Europe, the back cushion hangs over a couple of lips sticking out of the parcel shelf edge. The bottom part of the back rest has a metal clip at each end, which simply push/ clip into holes in the chassis wall between the passenger area and the boot/ trunk. The base of the seat (that you sit on) is simply pushed back against and under the edge of the backrest bit. It's front edge has round plastic pegs in each corner and these push down into holes in the floor area. So neither part is screwed or bolted in place. they are 'secure' but easily removed.

    Hope this helps!
    MelanieYlang likes this.

  11. #61
    Administrator GreenBlood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    7,994

    Default

    What he said^^

    I can't say I've ever seen the rear back bolted in place - I have just looked through the parts catalogue 648 and the only reference I can find is for USA vehicles where their design rules may have required it to be fixed (as previously mentioned there is provision at least on the seat frame - bottom two corners).

    Good to hear Roger is well and still holding stock. . .

    Cheers
    Chris
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir



    "Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

    The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

    (Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

  12. #62
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    What he said^^

    I can't say I've ever seen the rear back bolted in place - I have just looked through the parts catalogue 648 and the only reference I can find is for USA vehicles where their design rules may have required it to be fixed (as previously mentioned there is provision at least on the seat frame - bottom two corners).

    Good to hear Roger is well and still holding stock. . .

    Cheers
    Chris
    Hi Chris, I had forgotten that I had mentioned the seat previously and that you had already commented on it. Appreciate all the information 😀

    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app

  13. #63
    1000+ Posts forumnoreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ici.
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    I would quietly tell the inspector he is dreaming. If pain persists ask how it was registered in the first place.
    MelanieYlang likes this.

  14. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Grafton
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Hi Melanie good to see your D Special is progressing.
    A comment re the rear seat. I have experience with 4 individual later D model cars and each has the rear seat squab bolted to the chassis via metal tabs on the lower edge. The seat is secured by the 2 dowels under the front corners. It would be tempting to leave the bolts out i guess . we had Australian ID' s too. Pretty sure no bolts on those back seats. David
    MelanieYlang likes this.

  15. #65
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Grafton
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Another thought. One has to take a little care when fitting the seat cushion, to make sure the cushion is pushed back to allow the dowels to match the holes. Could it be the seat is not located and that's why the mechanic says it needs to bolted down?
    MelanieYlang likes this.

  16. #66
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    You chaps were right about the back seat not being properly, er, seated, as it were - so that was a bit silly of me.

    Paul had the front guards and bumper off this week to work on the headlights (we bought repro replacement units from Roger Parker), and today he's resprayed the housings with - of all things - Heron White, picked up at Supercheap Auto (so it's easy to get hold of, if anyone is looking for a pale dove grey paint, as I saw recommended in another thread). Going to look a million bucks!

    We're going to get the radiator shroud repaired by the local upholstery shop this week, and Paul's also fitting driving lights (mismatched, but they'll do for now) - I'm not sure they're really necessary, but we took off the broken bumper over-riders and this is how we decided to deal with the holes left over.



    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Vincenzo and gsowner84 like this.

  17. #67
    1000+ Posts forumnoreason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ici.
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    methinks that car was white once? The inside of the left fender suggests such

  18. #68
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoreason View Post
    methinks that car was white once? The inside of the left fender suggests such
    Maybe the left fender was white once! The paint code is Bleu Lagune.

    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Vincenzo likes this.

  19. #69
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    One headlight installed - I'm super happy with how the housing turned out after painting!


    I love watching Paul work, particularly when he is very organised, like with this panel he put together:


    Sent from my D6503 using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Vincenzo and gsowner84 like this.

  20. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Grafton
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Hi Melanie excellent progress your cars is looking really good. It reminds me so much of the one that lived at my place. It is interesting that your car has the lagune roof.
    D Specials normally had white roofs. Erin's car was as yours with bodie colour roof. I assumed that a previous owner had painted over the white, but maybe the blue roof is original. Anyway the lagune DS is a beautiful and remarkable presence in the landscape. I notice your example has black uplolstery. Erin's had been re done in dark grey velour which is also nice. Regards David

  21. #71
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caisson View Post
    Hi Melanie excellent progress your cars is looking really good. It reminds me so much of the one that lived at my place. It is interesting that your car has the lagune roof.
    D Specials normally had white roofs. Erin's car was as yours with bodie colour roof. I assumed that a previous owner had painted over the white, but maybe the blue roof is original. Anyway the lagune DS is a beautiful and remarkable presence in the landscape. I notice your example has black uplolstery. Erin's had been re done in dark grey velour which is also nice. Regards David
    Hi David, thanks for the encouragement! As I understand it, by the time the ID became the Dspécial, they painted the roofs the same colour as the body. But what is odd is that I always think it's white, and get a surprise when I see it's bleu!

    I still have plans to have new seat upholstery that's black vinyl with black and white houndstooth inserts...I've seen some photos of different Citroën models from around that time with houndstooth, so it's not as much a flight of fantasy as I first thought.

  22. #72
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    .... As I understand it, by the time the ID became the Dspécial, they painted the roofs the same colour as the body. But what is odd is that I always think it's white, and get a surprise when I see it's bleu!
    My 1974 DSpecial had the white fibreglass roof and when I asked about painting it I was greeted with grimaces and shock!
    MelanieYlang likes this.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  23. #73
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    My 1974 DSpecial had the white fibreglass roof and when I asked about painting it I was greeted with grimaces and shock!
    I think I will never again claim to know anything about these cars, other than what is before me on mine, as there seems to be such a lot to get a handle on!
    Vincenzo likes this.

  24. #74
    Fellow Frogger! Vincenzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MelanieYlang View Post
    I think I will never again claim to know anything about these cars, other than what is before me on mine, as there seems to be such a lot to get a handle on!
    I feel the same way.. there were so many options and scope for special orders it seems. Is your roof fibreglass or aluminium? That would make a difference I think.
    DS23 Pallas BVM Vert Argente - in ground up restoration, soon to be BVH.
    DSpecial 4speed Beige Vanneau, previous ; XM 2.0, maroon, my first.
    And a variety of the usual crapboxes before seeing the light. Except my Mini Cooper with the 3.4 cam and twin webers - that wasn't a POS.

    Bikes -
    Ducati GTS860, CB350, XT550, Z500, T250, XR200, ag90.

  25. #75
    Fellow Frogger! MelanieYlang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Wimmera
    Posts
    303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I feel the same way.. there were so many options and scope for special orders it seems. Is your roof fibreglass or aluminium? That would make a difference I think.
    Fibreglass - didn't know you could get an aluminium roof!

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •