Car ID - Page 7
  • Register
  • Help
Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Car ID

With regard to the vibration, have you had the front wheels balanced?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    This will sound daft Pete, but is this in any way related to alignment? Could it also be a symptom of uneven front brake discs?

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

Also give your front end a good shake to see that all the ball joints and tierod ends are not worn out....(this can lead to steering shudder)...

Try doing it with the wheels on the ground not jacked up....(for the lower ball joints you may have to jack up the arm and lift the tyre off the ground, ( the suspension will still be loaded up and the ball joint roughly at its operating geometry)).

A tip....spray WD40 or CRC or teflon or olive oil!!! into the inside of two tough plastic garbage bags and drive the front wheels onto them on a very flat surface...this will allow the you to shake away and the wheels will have the ability to move about...(also a good way of doing "home" wheel alignments.....)

If there is any doubt as to the degree of movement, get someone to shake, (up/down....left and right...diagonally(for bearing wear
    and adjustment))... while you hold onto the balljoint/tierod ends around the gater and you will feel if there is any movement.....
    Last edited by Gamma; 30th June 2017 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Speelink
    Vincenzo likes this.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Hi there gamma. I had the ball joints and steering rack replaced last year. This car hasn't had a lot of proper terrain action since then. Do these wear out that fast in a Pug? Pugs in Kenya have a reputation of grinding suspension parts pretty quickly. Is it a rumour or is it true?

I am sure that I haven't had the wheels balanced

I'll do that over this weekend

Fellow Frogger!

If replaced with modern reproduction ones it would be wise to look at the ball joints

I replaced all of mine when I did the 404. Has been in daily use for 18 months or so and new ball joint already flogged out. Was purchased from Der Franzose and was the non reconditionable type

Some of the after-market stuff can leave a little to be desired at times

Best Wishes

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Overfinch View Post
    Hi there gamma. I had the ball joints and steering rack replaced last year. This car hasn't had a lot of proper terrain action since then. Do these wear out that fast in a Pug? Pugs in Kenya have a reputation of grinding suspension parts pretty quickly. Is it a rumour or is it true?

Hi guys. Hope you are well. I've been flogging away at the pug. I got in replacement ball joints, replacement outer wheel bearings a new fuel pump as mine was leaking and re-tensioned the rear springs. My speedo also now works.

Hello guys. It's been a while since I communicated progress. I've had a malignant brake booster issue. I've had it remitted but its still leaking vacuum. I'm also not headed with getting a new unit in the shops. Now working on getting a second hand unit although I do not have faith with a second hand unit. I'm at my wits end. Anyone with access to a new unit? I'd honestly consider shipping one in of it were viable.

Happy new year Froggers

It was a tumultuous end to 2017 in our country (politically), but thing are quietening down a bit. I'm glad to have made to this new year where hopefully, the restoration will be completed. In my absence I encountered and overcame a number of challenges, the biggest being a seizing Brake booster. New units were out of stock so I had to settle for a second hand one that has served well so far. I also encountered a worm clutch disc and replaced it together with the pressure plate. The fork was also torn through. Replaced that as well. I also replaced the brake slave cylinder, clutch cylinder at the fork and front brake pads (had been eaten by the seizing of brake booster). I also got a pair of new headlights, fixed the leaky plenum, a chattery exhaust, and reverse light switch at the gearbox

I've also managed to flush out oil twice (service without changing the plugs) to clean up the gooey oil I had as a result of blown head gasket, and consequent machined/refaced cylinder head

Good to hear - the car won't know itself. Having lived in Malindi, we followed the Kenyan election(s) closely. Good if things quieten down!!

Cheers
    Overfinch likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

More progress, or anti? Well, had found it that the shuddering motor has a crankshaft vs block issue. Motor came off and the problem was at the thrust seal/ washers. Some block and some crankshaft had been interacting for a bit too long. Had to have them no h machines, and replace the thrust washers. While at it, I decided that the block should get a touch of fresh paint. Ill also have to have the timing cover replaced due to a small leak. Ill also have to lay a weld on the gearbox cork. It won't open otherwise. I will post pictures tomorrow.

Car ID-1516971560729.jpgCar ID-1516971585299.jpgCar ID-1516971598541.jpgCar ID-1516971618549.jpg

Photos as promised

Here I was thinking everything was going smoothly until.......... Disappointment. The engine was reassembled today and mounted. The fellow who polished the camshaft had advised I go for standard bearings. I was non the wiser so I got new sets of both main and con bearings. Apparently, polishing does take some material off(blonde moment). The ruckus that the started motor produced was immense. So, we had to dismount and discovered so much play at the cons that you can work the motion by hand. I have to start all over again with grinding the crank and getting them measured to buy yet another set of bearing.........so frustrating. Not much for of a choice though sadly

Gutted

I wonder if the crank has been reground previously, and it already had undersized bearings? This would mean that buying standard bearings would make them sloppy.

Did the old bearing shells have any markings on them?

Never risk it. Always measure.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupť - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

That is a bummer! Amazing how a couple of thou is so important...

Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    When we tightened the crank there was zero play. After the noises and subsequent dismantling, you could rattle them by hand..........its micro millimetres of difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    When we tightened the crank there was zero play. After the noises and subsequent dismantling, you could rattle them by hand..........its micro millimetres of difference

Guy who ground the shaft apparently made a mistake. He measured the crank today and found the measurement to be 1.25. After ransacking parts shops all over the city,we finally got a set of these bearings and refastened the engine. Tomorrow, hopefully, the crew will start the car and finish up with tuning

The engine was finally reassembled and all is quiet. Tappets are adjusted to a fine hum. All is left is minor tuning before I take delivery this evening.

Hello folks. Took receipt of the car. So far so smooth ......until yesterday. Finally had to get the windscreen replaced as it's rainy season down here and a combination of rain and headlights on an old windscreen is like trying to see through translucent decking. Anyway, that was done. My old alternator also acted up and that was duly replaced by a wreckers yard Mercedes - issue Bosch alternator with slight mounting modification. Now I have a leakage in the plenum....AGAIN. I must be married to this thing. I can't catch a break. Anyone with a permanent solution to this never ending plenum saga?

Page 7 of 7 First ... 34567

Thread Information