Car ID - Page 3
  • Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Car ID

Hi guys, would such an air intake work on a 504 in place of the pan type air filter or is it a totally different component?

Sent from my Infinix-X600-LTE using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

Overfinch,
    Hello again.
    I think that you won't have any under bonnet clearance for this type of filter.
    I have found that any air filters I have adapted to Solex or Weber carburetors other than the standard "low profile" type has had a problem with clearance.

The sports type filters fitted OK but in my opinion they would only filter out stones and small birds!
    Overfinch likes this.

Have been up and down our capital looking for door locks. My front passenger door is shut solid. Won't budge. Most of the shops had closed early but came across a shop that had brand new solex carburettors! Piles of them! Its surprising that I can get these parts brand new or second hand, depends on what I prefer. Most of my peers had discouraged my choice of car citing unavailability of parts but I am yet to encounter any real trouble in getting any part.

Overfinch,
    Door lock problems are brought on by the grease used as original lubrication hardening to a cheese like consistency.
    You will need to remove the lock mechanism. Yes, you will somehow have to remove the interior trim etc.
    Once removed clean the old grease from the lock, kero or diesel. Lubricate initially with oil while working the mechanism, use a general purpose grease when refitting to the door.
    Like the original grease on the mechanism it will attract dust but it should take another 30 years before you have any more trouble !
    Overfinch likes this.

From the pics, the door handles on your car appear to be the later recessed ones. Sometimes, firmly bumping up against the door while attempting to open the door will result in successful door opening. I've had several 504s that did this and is worth a try.
    Overfinch likes this.

The door gave in yesterday after the spirited efforts of three burly men. I got a used door mechanism. I'll post a picture of what was removed. Had been used off its hinges, literally. Now I have to get a new lock. Its in a state of disrepair as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Overfinch,
    Door lock problems are brought on by the grease used as original lubrication hardening to a cheese like consistency.
    You will need to remove the lock mechanism. Yes, you will somehow have to remove the interior trim etc.
    Once removed clean the old grease from the lock, kero or diesel. Lubricate initially with oil while working the mechanism, use a general purpose grease when refitting to the door.
    Like the original grease on the mechanism it will attract dust but it should take another 30 years before you have any more trouble !
    Yes I did notice the cheesy layer, on both locks actually, damaged and replacement. It was cleaned with petrol so p good level of flexibility. The damaged part had missing springs and had been heavily modified over the years

Wildebeest likes this.

This is the offending lock

New brake rear wheel slave cylinder going in

Car ID-1482479790140.jpgCar ID-1482479798768.jpgCar ID-1482479806178.jpg

BIGRR likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Overfinch View Post
    New brake rear wheel slave cylinder going in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1482479790140.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	92224Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1482479798768.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	92225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1482479806178.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	92226

Happy new year folks,

Had 'non existent' brakes for a bit this January. Was a bit of a head scratcher situation with the new wheel cylinder in. Woke up one Sunday morning to find the rear right wheel brake line had peed itself. The line had welding spots all over it and had a little nick that was the source of the leak. Disrepair at its best. Check it out...

Anyway was replaced with a new one. I thought that was that and then another shocker, I still had to pump the breaks. I called in the cavalry and we found that the right front brake piston was not responsive. It was dismantled and cleaned (was clogged with dirt and grime) and then another thing cropped up, a broken hub bearing! Anyway all that was sorted out and now the brake is up to spec.

I did a bit of online shopping today and stumbled on an Audi A- something exhaust. Took my mechanic pal to check it out and he approved that I get for modification to fit my car. Check it out...Car ID-1484509303604.jpg.

Let me know what you think. My exhaust has very many tiny little holes in them and some gashes here and there. Do you think it would be wise to modify the Audi pipe and use it?

Overfinch,
    In a word. No.
    The time taken to repair your original pipe would be less than adapting the Audi nightmare!
    The old saying, "building bridges where there are no rivers" comes to mind.

Overfinch,
    In a word. No.
    The time taken to repair your original pipe would be less than adapting the Audi nightmare!
    The old saying, "building bridges where there are no rivers" comes to mind.
    Overfinch,
    To back up my negative response to the above.
    The Audi system has a 'flexible' section to its engine front pipe. The Peugeot system is one piece without any flexible section from front to rear, supported at intervals such as the rear of the gearbox with rubber mounts at the very rear.
    To utilize the Audi pipe with its flex section would need a complete rethink of the pipe support required.

PS. Has the Kenyan flag got three horizontal bars with a shield and spears [assagai ?] crossed in the centre ?
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 17th January 2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: O?T query.

Overfinch,
    To back up my negative response to the above.
    The Audi system has a 'flexible' section to its engine front pipe. The Peugeot system is one piece without any flexible section from front to rear, supported at intervals such as the rear of the gearbox with rubber mounts at the very rear.
    To utilize the Audi pipe with its flex section would need a complete rethink of the pipe support required.

PS. Has the Kenyan flag got three horizontal bars with a shield and spears [assagai ?] crossed in the centre ?
    Indeed wildebeest,

That's the Kenyan flag alright! Assegai is a smaller shield of a more southerly origin. The Audi exhaust is exactly as you describe. My entire exhaust is a cry for help and the complete exhaust doesn't come cheap. Its around 140$ without a catalytic converter. I got this unit for 10$! You can imagine why I jumped at the chance. It'll take some modification but won't be half as expensive as buying an entirely new exhaust I imagine.

That aside I think my current exhaust would rival a sieve in terms of permeability. And the rumbly sound with fuel consumption implications...

Overfinch,
    Helping a mate clear out his unwanted Peugeot 504 bits I scored a 504 exh. front pipe. Now if you lived in the next street ?

Nooooo! Awful bit of luck that......They say it the thought that counts...?

Hi guys,

I think I'm having Welch plug issues. I had two episodes yesterday where my radiator light came on over a stretch of only 50km. On inspection, the coolant movement was inhibited meaning that the water pump wasn't pushing fluid properly. Second episode, on taking off the cap, coolant spewed out, but not in geyser type fashion though. I topped off with water and the light went off. Would you recommend a new pump or Welch plug replacement?

Just got news that my water pump is the issue. Some rotor in the housing is broken. En route to assess the damage. Will update with photos.

Car ID-1485291922364.jpgCar ID-1485291941296.jpg I assume this hole requires a Welsh plug? Sunk my finger in it and could feel metallic fragments in the sludge. Car ID-1485292119396.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1485292119396.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	93255 dead water pump. Probably came with the car. There a spark plug stuck through a hole, not sure why. Car ID-1485292302450.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1485292302450.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	93256 Also have to get from stabilizer link bushes, control arm bushes and an engine mount.

Last edited by Overfinch; 25th January 2017 at 02:31 PM.

This setup is different to any that I've seen on an Australian 504 or early 505 (with the XN1 engine). To me, it's not exactly clear what is what except that the impeller definately seems to be missing in action.

I'm guessing that there is a removable collar pressed into the face of the water pump/cylinder head seal which is partly obscuring the view of the impeller chamber in the head. From the photos, the hole your referring to looks intentional and may have a purpose. It might help to work this out if we could see what the impeller looks like. The metallic fragmnets in the sludge could well be impeller bits.

In Australia (at least) early 504s had a removable steel welsh plug that rusted away over time. The later 504s (1979 on?) were modified so that the steel welsh plug was done away with and the void filled in by an extra bit of head casting. None of the later heads I've seen have the small hole, or recess seen in the photo's.
    Wildebeest likes this.

Overfinch,
    Ah! The old sparkplug in the 'ole ploy..
    Later water pumps had this feature to accommodate a temperature ? sender. not used in some models. The threaded hole is the same as a 14mm spark plug. I have since sourced a neater plug for the job.

It was a great conversation piece when I lifted the bonnet i'd have to explain the spark plug in the water pump ?

It was a great conversation piece when I lifted the bonnet i'd have to explain the spark plug in the water pump
    After burner ?
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Electrolytic decompensator plug.
    Wildebeest likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    After burner ?
    Hilarious

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information