1969 One owner R 10 Resto.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 1OwneR 10

Thread: 1969 One owner R 10 Resto.

Default 1969 One owner R 10 Resto.

Thought it was about time I started this thread now that the forum site seems to have stabilized.
    A few details about my project: It is a daffodil yellow R10 manufactured after the 18th. of September 1969 (latest date stamped on the door cards). Purchased from Clough's Motors Bankstown NSW on the 10th December 1969 for $2000 drive away.
    Taken off the road in late 1984 after about 200,000 hard miles, two engines (original and a 1250) a lot of mods and fortunately only a few relatively minor dings. I started to take the car apart and did some repairs as well as purchasing a few new parts. The project stalled but fortunately I have been able to keep it under cover till now.
    I have finished repairing the seats and repaired or replaced the door cards as well as starting on the body and some mechanical parts.
    1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-20160724153502_01-2-.jpg1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-20160724124954_02-2-.jpg. Pics were scanned from slides so they are a bit fuzzy.
    Still haven't decided whether to finish the car to original specs or to the configuration it was in when taken off the road.
    I will have a lot of questions as I try to put the puzzle back together but I hope to be able to help others as well
    Regards, Phillip.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-20160717155309_01-2-.jpg  
    FIVEDOOR, J-man and bowie like this.

My eyesight isn't the best these days but am I imaging it or are there two sets of tail light (plus extra repeaters on the front and back guards)?
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Yes, I put a second set of tail lights upside down above the standard lights. A sailor on a motor bike ran into the back of the car and damaged the bumper and the stainless trim above the lights, I had a lot of trouble getting enough money from him to cover all of the repairs so I opted for a second hand set of lights instead of the very expensive trim. I put a piece of polished timber between the lights.
    The side lights are from an early Mini Moke Californian (the model with 10" dia. wheels).
    These lights and other mods are why I am unsure whether to go back to standard or the easier route of leaving it modified. If I hadn't done the mods myself then I would go back to standard but I did modifications (for better or worse) so am unsure, other opinions welcomed.
    Last edited by 1OwneR 10; 19th October 2016 at 09:24 AM.

evocative photos. I reckon you should keep the mods
    and cherish the particular history of your car. thanks for the sharing.

My 2 cents, if the modifications mean something to you and you're happy with them then keep them.
    Pretty much all of us have customised our cars to some degree and unless you want a show car then the modifications should stay.
    Finding a good trim panel might have been hard when the car was damaged but it's probably even harder to find good R10 parts now.
    "I cannot help but notice that there is no problem between us that cannot be solved by your departure. Mark Twain"

Nah, I say get rid of those things.

They don't do anything for the car.

If it was for the better, it would be worth keeping, but in my opinion they serve no purpose and timber on the car looks rather naff.

You can still get NIB lenses/lights if you look around, and the trim is polished aluminium, easily restored if not bent.

Might have been hard to get parts in the past, but these days the internet can work wonders.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 20th October 2016 at 01:43 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Gee Schlitz, we don't often differ. But it ain't ally. Tthat rear trim across the R10, late models, is quite a complex bit of stainless steel with about 3 or 4 different finishes on the one piece. I do agree with removing the wood and the second lights, personally. There are some things that are part of the car's history and then there are ..... I even finally patched up the schnorkel hole in the rear lid of my 750 last year. Historical yes. Ugly? As sin....

FCD tomorrow - if you come I'll be attached to the blue 4CV from time to time.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yeah, I remember the many finishes on that piece of a dorongo. Didn't remember it was stainless. Or maybe Euro cars had different spec? Mine was a round eye anyway, I remember the trim was different. What the heck were they thinking, anyway?! Good on Renault, but it's ridiculous to finish some irrelevant piece of trim for a mass produced car like that. Reminds me of the grille on the old (early model) BMW 2002 and the even earlier NK sedans. Geez, what a pain in the mahalabongo to fix one of those kidney grilles! Made of thin aluminium stamped in one piece, with bent back bars thin as tooth picks. You just couldn't save them if one broke off. And the brackets holding them to the car were just a smidge thicker, just enough to rip a chunk off the grille when they broke off from vibration. Eff'n piece of neasty merde! They looked great though.

Where is the FCD? I have racing tomorrow, not sure if I can make it.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Yes, it clashes. Langley Park, enter from Plain St.

Back to topic, great to see another R10 getting love and attention.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Yes, it clashes. Langley Park, enter from Plain St.

Back to topic, great to see another R10 getting love and attention.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

I used to have spare trims but got rid of them a few years back - sold to WA if I remember correctly but if you put up a shout out for one (if you do want to replace it and return to original) I'm sure someone will have one.
    KB

I'd say as long as the car is structurally sound, just fix what needs to be fixed to get it back on the road and enjoy it. It may not be strictly original, but it doesn't look totally molested either, with all the modifications having some meaning to its one original owner.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Thanks for all responses so far. At the time of the prang I did not have a spare trim but since then I have acquired some good ones from cars I have pulled apart so thanks, I placed a trim on the car temporarily and it covers the holes for the top tail lights so I could go either way there. The side lights are both a light and a reflector, they were put in as a safety item rather than for appearance, I suspect they would probably be not legal now. The front ones were amber and the rear ones red as per US requirements at the time.
    Simon, I posted some pictures of the cracking of the P/S inner guard in Christian's restoration thread and you replied with details of a factory service repair, Would it be possible to get a clearer picture of this so I can consider my options please? I will put the pictures up here now for completeness. 1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-sdc12593.jpg1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-sdc12594.jpg1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-sdc12595.jpg1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-sdc12807.jpg1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-sdc12808.jpgThe last two pictures are an NOS spare inner guard which is for a round headlight car. One option is to cut the new guard along the chalk line shown and replace the whole existing inner guard but I am not sure if I can do that without distortion occurring, then again it could be distorted now, might have to try and do some measuring.
    Regards, Phillip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1969 One owner R 10 Resto.-sdc12611.jpg  
    Last edited by 1OwneR 10; 22nd October 2016 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Sorry extra pic which I cannot delete

Thread Information