• 1 Post By bowie
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 1 Post By geckoeng
  • 9 Post By Sarosa
  • 1 Post By JohnW
  • 1 Post By schlitzaugen

Thread: Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red

Default Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red

I'm getting stuck into a 16TS over this spring/summer and are motivated to get it done, so I thought I'd write a thread on it here, given I don't think there has been a 16 restoration thread on here yet.

I love the spec of this 16. My favourite year (1969), my favourite colour (Barossa Red) and my favourite model (TS). I'm just looking at restoring it to a level of a good "daily driving" R16.

The car came from another R16 enthusiast (Thanks Jason!) and before that was pretty much a paddock car for I'm not sure how long. Has a bit of rust that needs to be sorted (mainly rear floors) but structurally, in the right places, it is surprisingly very sound. It is one seriously dirty car though. Lot's and lot's of dirt. It also has, at some stage, had a respray and the colour match was terrible. (See Photo's below of the door & wheel archers with vinyl covers off, you'll notice the resprayed colour is too pinkish compared to the lovely deep Cab Sav colour it should be). So the main jobs will be cleaning, welding, respraying and interior work. I'll be going it all myself unless my respraying is too poor for the outside of the vehicle, then I'll get that outsourced.

Advertisement

The first photo's are of the car getting mostly stripped out. As you can see it's very dirty even though the photo's were taken after I had removed quite a bit of dirt already!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-16ts-inside.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-16ts-engine-bay.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-ts-door-colour.jpg  
    CXVingtCinq, Dano and J-man like this.

SaRosa,
    Man you bring back good memories !!!!

And it all comes back to being a fantastic car again.

Keep us in tune please.
    Ray
    Ray geckoeng

Think Old, But Run Modern !!

I'm with Geckoeng! Makes a man go quite misty. Restoration to "good daily driver" ticks my boxes too.

Have fun. I do look forward to the photos as they come over the months.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

More cleaning, scraping and wiping....and probably another weekend or two of the same to come. A good thing about taking photo's is you get to see the change. I checked the rear brakes and they looked surprisingly clean after a spray of cleaner. I'll leave them for now. Found some writing in the engine bay of the re-spray done. Rego sticker states probably last registered Oct 1986, so only a relatively short time road registered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-1.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-2.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-3.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-4.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-5.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-6.jpg  

I bought a 16 in 1969 because I was told I would have to wait a year for a 16TS! The only red to chose from for my 16 was a colour named Cherry Red. It was a fair bit darker than the reds that followed. I was peed off that the TS arrived only 8 months after I traded my R10 in on the 16! I rallied the 16 for a couple of years and it always looked a kind of muddy brown.....
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosa View Post
    More cleaning, scraping and wiping....and probably another weekend or two of the same to come. A good thing about taking photo's is you get to see the change. I checked the rear brakes and they looked surprisingly clean after a spray of cleaner. I'll leave them for now. Found some writing in the engine bay of the re-spray done. Rego sticker states probably last registered Oct 1986, so only a relatively short time road registered.
    That looks pretty sound to me. Great! the rear brakes look very much like Dauphine, don't they! You have one good buy there I reckon.

Cheers
    Sarosa likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

A 16 would look sick with 2 longer doors...

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Looks really good alright. Well done.

I hope the rear brakes on mine are in as good a nick as that when I get to them.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That looks pretty sound to me. Great! the rear brakes look very much like Dauphine, don't they! You have one good buy there I reckon.

Cheers

Yep! Having just renovated front & rear brakes, I can say they are just about identical!
    "Pauses for audience applause......not a sausage!"....Bluebottle

1949 Citroen Big 6
    1955 MGA1500
    1970 Peugeot 404 Utility (Resto project)
    1962 Renault Dauphine Gordini (Resto project)
    1950 Grey Fergie Tractor

1000+ Posts

Oooooooh, keep us posted!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I had a go at some rust repair to the front headlight area. The patch panel was OK but I cut it a bit undersize, despite checking a few times. Welding was a bit skewwhiff. I changed my welder over to flux cored wire from gas for convenience sake but it was a bit horrible to work with. I'll be changing it back before I do any floor welding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-1.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-2.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-3.jpg  
    Dano likes this.

I hate going wheel arches. Most hard on the body and hands. I scrapped and brushed off what I could. The good old, close to 50 years old!, electrophoresis has held up and done it's job extremely well and will continue to do so. I POR-15'ed the seam line, front face of the A pillar and headlight cowl. Were the existing coating stubbornly held (say 20% of the total area), I let it be, but marine cleaned it all and then sprayed a rubberized coating on, including on the lower wishbone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-b.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-c.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-d.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-e.jpg  
    bowie, Dano and lozenge like this.

I did the engine bay today and despite the windy weather I'm really happy with the result. Nice gloss off the gun with the Protec Acrylic paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-engine-bay-2.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-engine-bay-3.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-engine-bay-4.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-engine-bay-5.jpg  
    Le Parisian, Dano, JohnW and 2 others like this.

Before and after!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-engine-bay-before.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-engine-bay-post.jpg  
    bowie, JohnW and GreenBlood like this.

Nice painting, but your masking needs work!
    Looks really good. Well done.
    Sarosa likes this.
    KB

Such a good colour! Reminds me of red devil grease.
    Sarosa likes this.

Works: 1999 Volvo S40 T4, (has Choo Choo's)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16
    Wanted Ye old K4J / K4M Click!

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Sarosa !!!!

You are making me want to get into the TX.........

AAaahhhh for some time.

Ray
    Sarosa likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

A Barossa Red Floride would of looked so nice. Sorry, just saying.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

John !!!!

You have got to seek HELP ............!!!!!!
    JohnW likes this.
    Ray geckoeng

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Quote Originally Posted by geckoeng View Post
    John !!!!

You have got to seek HELP ............!!!!!!
    Ray, me, please, you see there was this bloke in Melb who was competing with me for the local Floride market and in the end in they pretty much all end up as scrap metal. Luckily though, cause now the R16's are back on the project floor.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Ray, me, please, you see there was this bloke in Melb who was competing with me for the local Floride market and in the end in they pretty much all end up as scrap metal. Luckily though, cause now the R16's are back on the project floor.
    Yeah I meet that guy too. Nice bloke, I think his name was Midas. However whenever he touched a Floride, instead of turning it into gold, it would turn in to a pile of rust and break his heart. Poor fellow.

Update: I've been doing this car very piecemeal over the last 6 weeks or so, having to fit whatever I can in while looking after two kids running around! So an odd mix of painting, the moving to electrical, then onto interior, then back to painting etc. etc. Engine is up and running, electrical's sorted after finding a previous short/meltdown in the loom from the rheostat (do these things always eventually cause fires on R16's??) and burning out a distributor. But all good now. A lot had to be sorted on the car (as it was being used as a parts car) - so lot's of little things to trace and sort. Next is brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-8.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-9.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-10.jpg   Renault 16TS - 1969 Barossa Red-11.jpg  

That's lovely. And you do need to fit "life + family" into it too! Great work and thanks for sharing it. I always get weak knees with a few photos like that....
    Sarosa likes this.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

What a nice car! Plain old, nice. I never had a 16 or a DS, and frankly I would be torn to have to choose. BUt that is so nice. Simple, elegant and nice. And a good car to boot.

That colour is the colour of the seventies in my memory. Many of these when I grew up, and then when the 12 was introduced, this was a very popular colour for the first generation of cars.
    Sarosa likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information