205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default 205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)

Hi guys,
    A couple of months back I purchased a little silver gti that some of you might recognize. From what I've heard its been passed between members a few times over the years so I'd be interested to hear who's taken care of it over the years.
    Its a July 1987 model in silver that has clearly been pushed pretty hard and is in need of some TLC. I'm pretty young and this is my first car that I've had to work on so please feel free to give advice and don't expect anything too crazy as my budget is pretty tight.
    As far as the car is concerned, it runs (barely) but not well.
    The problems I've found so far (In order of importance (I think)):
    1. Induction system has tears in tubing that has allowed the intake manifold (and everything else) to fill up with dirt and gunk
    2. Idles at about 2,000 RPM when it does run, this I think will likely be a result of the above. Will often start fine and then slowly stop if the pedal isn't being juiced.
    3. The engine mounts and bushings where absolutely shot to pieces (see included pic) however I've just replaced them along with the control arm bushes. The gearbox mount was an absolute pain to get out, I'm not sure If there was some easier way that I was missing
    4. the starter motor motor often fails to start whether due to the solenoid not firing or the actualy motor itself. I've done some work on this recently that should have fixed the solenoid as mechanically it is fine and moving easily.
    5. There isn't any passenger seat! I have however sourced a new one, only to find that the metal bar providing the bottom section support was rusted through. I plan on fixing this however by combining parts from the other Driver seat I got with the car (2 driver seats and no passenger). There where also no seatbelts for the passengers, but I also managed to pick some of those
    6. there is a decent sized bash to the right rear quarter panel and the paint is in dire need of a respray. I have also found some light surface rust on the door edges.
    7. The lower half of the center console is missing and from my searching so far its going to be hard to find another.

Pictures to come Tomorrow

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Welcome, I have lower center dash that fits around stereo and has cubby hole if this is what you are after? Yours but they are fragile so is there a hurry otherwise what for transport going your way?

Enjoy it and chase around for parts, this forum is as good as it gets!
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Tadpole

Pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911478820.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911499872.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911528304.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911547752.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911573835.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911596684.jpg  

205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911615394.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1466911674711.jpg  

Tadpole

Thanks Matthew,
    I'll send you a PM

1000+ Posts

Solenoid is going to be carbon on ignition switch contacts, fit a remote relay asap and key can be gently cleaned, switch wiper is silver coated, be gentle with it, no abrasives, just a soft cloth and rubbing.

Get a haynes manual, it is indespensible for electrical and is very good / accurate for this.
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

1000+ Posts

Hows this? It should help fill the empty space, you will need a cover for the gear stick hole and if your lucky / patient I can also supply a gaiter (about to fit leather one) oh and the carpet pieces that go on the sides, funny they disappeared.

205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-imag0625.jpg
    Last edited by Matthew; 29th June 2016 at 06:51 PM.
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

1000+ Posts

Morlo, great car for a slow fixer upper, because if you stick with it you end up with one of the modern greats. Remember that when things get difficult!

It's good to see more like this coming out of the woodwork to be resurrected.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Good project you have on your hands there.

The above statement could not have been more accurate.
    98 Xantia CT
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    92 405 Mi16
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I see you have taken the induction apart, this is a good chance to clean it thoroughly with Throttle and carby cleaner (strong stuff, but will leave the intake looking schmick). Find a bottle brush that fits in the intake runners and go at it methodically. If you take out the big welch plug it will give you great access inside to clean everything properly.

Rubber sections are still available new from various dudes in Europe, you will need lots of patience with this one. Silicone kits are also available, not necessarily better.

Check the SAD and its hoses too, it can give you a heap of trouble (and it seems like it is already) and are usually shot. Get a new SAD if you want to keep it in original setup, or get rid of it altogether, but remember you will always have to nanny the throttle for a couple of minutes at startup. Check the one way valve and associated hoses for the vapour canister and again decide if you want to keep it or not. Check vacuum hose to brake booster for leaks and address.

Check the lambda sensor and air flow meter too, just so you don't have to scratch your head when something is amiss. With these covered your idle speed should return to normal (which is still a bit lumpy, but perfectly okay).

Generally speaking, consider every piece of rubber suspect and check it with your young eyes. They're older than you, so probably shot.

Same with electrics. They corrode like hell and make electrical faults a dang pain in the butt to trace. Start with all connectors and earth points.

May the Force be with you.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 29th June 2016 at 04:41 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Nice to see another silver 205.

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Tadpole

Wow thank you for your advice. It covers a lot, I've been working at the inlet manifold for ages now with a combination of throttle carry cleaner and a pressure washer. I've gotten the worst of it off but there is still more that just doesn't want to budge :/. Should I be able to take that big plug out easily?

I had a look at replacing those torn hoses with originals, but the only ones I could find where of frankly ridiculous prices.

So instead I ordered a Ramair induction kit which comes with hoses and a mounting kit for about half the price. I do realize that for that price I'm probably not getting a very high quality system but I can't really afford to splurge.
    The rubber is as you say pretty damaged.
    I have narrowed down the starter motor issue to electronics and have done some testing on the relay as suggested and given it a clean and it seems to be in good working condition.
    Tonight I plan on having a more thorough look at the starter electronics to see if I can find the problem. I suspect that it might be that smaller wire leading to the starter motor that carries the signal fitting poorly into its socket as there is lots of play in it.

Tadpole

As much as it is hurting my hands folding them around so many corners and the issues that continue to dumbfounded my inexperienced mind, I am having a ball of a time working on it .
    I am also really impressed with Ramair as I only ordered it late at night on the 23rd only to have it arrive yesterday morning (28th)
    Thanks for all the good suggestions guys!

Tadpole

It wasn't exactly hard to find how so much dirt had got in
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1467185811337.jpg   205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1467185843459.jpg  

Tadpole

Pictures of the new induction system!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 GTI, Series 1 (The village bike)-1467186006028.jpg  

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morlo4 View Post
    It wasn't exactly hard to find how so much dirt had got in
    I have a reasonable one of those if you care for it too, nix as always?
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

I strongly advise you against that induction kit.

Many reasons why.

But here's the most important. The original induction is designed by engineers with sharp pencils behind their ears and elbow patches on their labcoats. The result is it works beautifully to deliver power and economy and the proverbial tractability of the XU9 engine. That kit looks like it will not even have access to fresh, cold air, which in itself will kill your power.

And as always with these things, buy cheap, buy twice. Remember the old english saying. I'm too poor to afford cheap.

You found expensive things because you're looking in the wrong place. Try ebay europe outside of UK (I have been lucky with Portugal, Spain, Germany and France, and of all places - Finland!) and you will be rewarded. There are also some online shops in Italy, Germany and France where you might have luck. The only problem might be trying to find headlights (other than Lucas which are as crap as the no-name brands floating about) for RHD cars because in Europe that means only UK/Ireland. Even so, I have managed to score a pair of Valeo brand new old stock in RHD for a third of the price asked in the UK (there's a loony there asking 140 pounds for one ! - avoid him). Patience is a handsomely rewarded virtue.

Yes, the welch plug is easy to take out, if you're careful you can take it out and then reuse it (not that I recommend it, you can easily buy a new one for a few bucks). To take it out nicely, just use a round piece of wood that fits snug inside (cut it out of MDF or some such) and whack it hard with a soft face mallet. The wood will take all the deformation and the plug comes out intact.

The wire you describe on the starter sounds like the solenoid positive. Replace with good quality wire and plug, clean, etc.

The solution recommended above is the go. Use a relay to feed power to the starter, not the ignition switch and put the relay as close as possible to the starter. I also added a negative directly to the battery so I don't rely on shoddy contacts between gearbox/block and starter casing. Moreover, I have negatives running individually to the block, gearbox and chassis just to make sure everything is nicely connected. If you want to go for super duper extra-turbo fantastic contact, get some gold leaf from a jeweller and rub it on the attaching points of the cables and use silver grease to protect against corrosion.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 29th June 2016 at 07:16 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Tadpole

That console looks great Matthew! I already have the part which surrounds the gear shift so that shouldn't be an issue.
    I'm just looking at the AFM atm and I'm wondering if this little blue tab is supposed to be pierced like it is (the one in the picture). I'm still looking for a Haynes manual at the moment.

Hi, you can download the Haynes manual if you search the net you should find a pdf. If you can't find it I'll look up the link and post it here for you.

Nice 205 buy the way, I'm also working on a silver S1 205 GTI. I'm really looking forward to driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I strongly advise you against that induction kit.

Many reasons why.

But here's the most important. The original induction is designed by engineers with sharp pencils behind their ears and elbow patches on their labcoats. The result is it works beautifully to deliver power and economy and the proverbial tractability of the XU9 engine. That kit looks like it will not even have access to fresh, cold air, which in itself will kill your power.

And as always with these things, buy cheap, buy twice. Remember the old english saying. I'm too poor to afford cheap.

You found expensive things because you're looking in the wrong place. Try ebay europe outside of UK (I have been lucky with Portugal, Spain, Germany and France, and of all places - Finland!) and you will be rewarded. There are also some online shops in Italy, Germany and France where you might have luck. The only problem might be trying to find headlights (other than Lucas which are as crap as the no-name brands floating about) for RHD cars because in Europe that means only UK/Ireland. Even so, I have managed to score a pair of Valeo brand new old stock in RHD for a third of the price asked in the UK (there's a loony there asking 140 pounds for one ! - avoid him). Patience is a handsomely rewarded virtue.

Yes, the welch plug is easy to take out, if you're careful you can take it out and then reuse it (not that I recommend it, you can easily buy a new one for a few bucks). To take it out nicely, just use a round piece of wood that fits snug inside (cut it out of MDF or some such) and whack it hard with a soft face mallet. The wood will take all the deformation and the plug comes out intact.

The wire you describe on the starter sounds like the solenoid positive. Replace with good quality wire and plug, clean, etc.

The solution recommended above is the go. Use a relay to feed power to the starter, not the ignition switch and put the relay as close as possible to the starter. I also added a negative directly to the battery so I don't rely on shoddy contacts between gearbox/block and starter casing. Moreover, I have negatives running individually to the block, gearbox and chassis just to make sure everything is nicely connected. If you want to go for super duper extra-turbo fantastic contact, get some gold leaf from a jeweller and rub it on the attaching points of the cables and use silver grease to protect against corrosion.
    if setup correctly couldn't be much worse than a steel air box mounted to and directly over a hot exhaust manifold?

Set up correctly ? How? It doesn't have the length it needs, it doesn't have the cold air intake, it doesn't have the connections to the purge canister, doesn't have the same filter area and I can't think of what else.

Sure, the original is not in the best place, but remember these cars had a heat shield there originally to protect the airbox, and even now, 40 years after all of them lost it I doubt the air filter is affected by the exhaust much. I have never felt the air box getting hot (in fact the Si setup has a flap to divert hot air up to the airbox, so it seems even there hot air needs some help to get to the airbox).

Tadpole

Djvu205, thanks for the wise words, I understand that I'm messing with the design of far smarter men with replacing the induction kit, but at this stage I'm hoping it doesn't make much of a difference and helps to remove some of the engine bay clutter.
    That's a really good idea looking on other European eBay sites, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Hi, you can download the Haynes manual if you search the net you should find a pdf. If you can't find it I'll look up the link and post it here for you.

Nice 205 buy the way, I'm also working on a silver S1 205 GTI. I'm really looking forward to driving it.
    What series? Have you got much work to do on it?

I ran a shortened induction on my 205 (the silver one) for ages and had no dramas. Long term though you'd be best to track down the original system.

205GTI - 8 valve, single cam coolness.

Quote Originally Posted by Morlo4 View Post
    What series? Have you got much work to do on it?
    same as yours series 1.... ah lots of little things and then there's the no clutch, no brakes situation. nothing a little careful work can't fix. My thread is called "Little Silver 205GTI" (and I've got little white as well)

I see you have a glove box door in place, that is super rare from what I hear! one of the reasons for all the crud in the intake is the emissions systems, re-breathing of all the crank case fumes etc and after many many years it just builds up, so a good clean is definitely worth it. I did manage to track down all of my replacement intake pieces through the forum as mine were all split also.

Tadpole

I should also mention that this induction system isn't going to position the air filter in the same place but rather shorten It so that it all sits straight out in a line from the throttle body. Hopefully this helps negate the fact that it no longer has a heat box

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information