DS headlights
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: DS headlights

Default DS headlights

hi people

has anyone had experience with disassembling front twin reflector headlight for a DS and having them re chromed in Australia - particularly in Sydney.

would be interested on others experience, as i am not sure i want to go down the H4 path. i am not against it as i have been advised that it produces excellent results. its a look thing for me.

i started out with NOS on the car however over the years | 34 | they have deteriorated to candle light beams and its a bit difficult to see,especially in the rain.

i have decided to use the car more as a daily, hence to make it as safe as possible.

Advertisement

so please let me know whats out there.
    thanks

Your big problem will be separating glass from shell, I had a high beam done and wanted to do the main ones but couldn't for the life of me get the glass free. Ended up buying some correct size Cibie ( Became Valeo) main set, one from UK and one here from a 4WD mob in Melbourne. Correct 'rhd' versions. The finishers ask for the shell to be sent without the glass. That activity requires some baking in an oven (about 100-140c (depending on how gutsy you're feeling!) for 15-20 minutes then with heat proof gloves some fancy cutting seal and levering/prising off the lens. Might take several goes too as I found out after youtubing technique, there's resilvering and resilvering too, I used Aclass metal finishers in Adelaide, about $90 for a light.
    Tou also need to reglue the lenses back with specific sealant, can't remember what it is though, non alkaline clear something, Nup can't remember someone else might have that answer but important you use the right stuff!
    of course lots of different opinions are about on the art of resilvering so worth reading up what you can find to make the decisions.
    Last edited by forumnoreason; 1st May 2016 at 08:33 PM.

I was finally discouraged from re silvering the dual reflectors when told that they would be charged at double the cost of a single reflector.

I had no problems separating the glass from the shell, just wait til the wife is out and fire up the oven.

I am convinced however that an H4 will always give a superior result. My car with new replacement H4 headlight units,and relays in the circuit of course, has every bit as good illumination as a much more modern H4 system, better when you factor in the directional long range units.

I fitted new units inside cut down original reflectors but I believe that Roger Parker at Oleopneumatics has "plug and play" units available to save you hacking up the originals.
    Last edited by michaelr; 1st May 2016 at 11:51 PM.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    I was finally discouraged from re silvering the dual reflectors when told that they would be charged at double the cost of a single reflector.

However, I had no problems separating the glass from the shell, just wait til the wife is out and fire up the oven.

I am convinced however that an H4 will always give a superior result. My car with new replacement H4 headlight units,and relays in the circuit of course, has every bit as good illumination as a much more modern H4 system, better when you factor in the directional long range units.

I fitted new units inside cut down original reflectors but I believe that Roger Parker at Oleopneumatics has "plug and play" units available to save you hacking up the originals.
    That may explain the Euro130 Marco at Citroen Services charges for exchange dual reflector lights - he does claim a 10 -15% improvement over the factory fitted lights. Shame about the freight in both directions. . .

Prodotto: D11-2001 - SEV Main Beam Headlamp, IQ double - restaured -

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Thread Information