Little Silver 205GTI - Page 4
  • Register
  • Help
Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Little Silver 205GTI

Itís really good to be back on the tools and making some progress on this car. The unfortunate reality of project cars at times can be lots of idle time due to other life commitments.
    Only a couple of hours today but good progress made

Advertisement

Another couple of hours on Sunday morning.
    wishbones separated from struts, driveshafts out, all items off the gearbox except for the reverse gear selector cable.
    So next spanner time the box will be out.

I'm happy to not have found any surprises yet.
    Body underneath looks very good except for some minor poor jack use damage.
    Gear oil was very clean.
    Inside inlet manifold and head ports look very clean, and gaskets look fresh, I'm wondering if the head has been done at some stage.
    Radiator looks quite new, front brakes look good, all suspension bushes look good and tight. All boots are in good condition steering, ball joints and driveshafts. steering light as a feather!

Default Little Silver 205GTI

Box out and turned out that the thrust bearing definitely was the culprit of the loud noise, so very happy to have found that. Checkout the pressure plate fingers!!

Not so happy with the flywheel tooth missing, but thatís sorted thanks Graham good parts trade

A good clean up is in order and back together. I have all my bits including machined flywheel so happy days!

Good work mate. Perhaps give the engine bay a bit of paint while you have the chance?

Thanks Ash, I'll clean up best I can but unfortunately wont have time to paint the engine bay. Hopefully the car gets a full paint job in the near future. I'll have to put an update up with some more pics
    Last edited by CEyssens; 24th November 2017 at 01:17 AM.

Update on work from Sunday

Box back in, now to reassemble, fully eliminate the hydraulic clutch and put back all the original spec clutch parts, pedal, cable and linkages... little silver is feeling happier already

Happy days

Wow - that 18YO pressure plate has been waiting a while for it's turn ! Aren't push type clutches wonderful ! The BE3/6 in my GTi6 was a bugger......

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Wow - that 18YO pressure plate has been waiting a while for it's turn ! Aren't push type clutches wonderful ! The BE3/6 in my GTi6 was a bugger......

Cheers

Justin
    Hey Justin, yeah the pressure plate was finished, clutch was fine but check out the thrust bearing, totally stuffed, seized and the inner collar was in a right mess. I donít think it had done much work by the look of the clutch plate. What issues did you have wit the gti6?

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Hey Justin, yeah the pressure plate was finished, clutch was fine but check out the thrust bearing, totally stuffed, seized and the inner collar was in a right mess. I don’t think it had done much work by the look of the clutch plate. What issues did you have wit the gti6?
    The 'pull' type clutch on the be3/6 is just tricky to engage when you're reinstalling the gearbox because you have to hook the clutch fork in behind the release bearing as you slide the gearbox back onto the engine. Maybe just tricky doing it by myself - might have been easier with another pair of hands.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 Megane R26
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Ah the serenity
    SilverGTi_6 and Isis like this.

Lots of small details getting done

Gearbox back on its (not so rusty anymore) mount

AFM inlet replaced

Bent and damaged AFM bracket replaced

Dodgy clutch pedal that was modified for the hydraulic clutch now replaced

BE1 missing clutch link arm sorted out inc new bushes

Lots of old hoses replaced

Missing ignition lead tray sorted out
    Last edited by CEyssens; 6th December 2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Richard W and Isis like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Damn she looks so similar to mine. Keep going it might motivate me.
    CEyssens likes this.

Oh and I got this in the mail recently and it even turned up in one piece!

Now just to find the other S1 dash parts in this condition (I know crazy right?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    Damn she looks so similar to mine. Keep going it might motivate me.
    Thanks Warus!
    How is your project coming along? I stopped past the thread but couldnít see the pics.

So I forgot to mark the flywheel TDC before I put the gearbox back on.... oops
    Thanks to Taylor Eng for the helpful diagram
    http://www.taylor-eng.com/xu9j4/finding_tdc.html
    A little tricky when assembled but all sorted now

Fuel Pressure Switch?? Has anyone ever seen a fuel pressure switch on their 205 GTI?

I'm figuring the answer is no, but thought to ask in case I'm off the money on this.
    I've removed the aftermarket bodged fuel filter and it's got a two wire switch on the bottom, I'd say its a pressure switch, but no idea yet what it connects to.

I think it was the Si that had some sort of safety fuel cutoff if that is what you're asking.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I think it was the Si that had some sort of safety fuel cutoff if that is what you're asking.
    Thanks, I donít think so, itís on a S1 GTI but the car has been subject to some meddling.

Some Euro models had that safety feature as well. You can see it in the wiring diagrams. It was a resettable switch on the inner wing, don't remember which side. I think it killed the pump in the event of a collision.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Snuck in an hour on the tools today

Dusted off the driveshafts and popped them back in. Finished off the clutch cable and linkages work. Deleted the oil cooler and fitted the new filter in the remote location. And prepped inlet manifold ready to go back in.

Your engine needs a wash.
    BIGRR likes this.

Your engine needs a wash.
    It certainly does... leaky rear main among other leaks and lots of years of not being cleaned.... everything that's touched is getting a freshen up and it will get a big clean once it's running again.

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    It will get a big clean once it's running again.
    It's going to be good! It's hard to clean things up once its all assembled again. I'd be using some soft wire brushes on drill and Dremel to clean up the cam cover, inlet manifold and visible parts of the head now before its all reassembled.

And don't let any of the cognoscenti see that you fitted a Ryco filter instead of a Purflux...

It's going to be a pig to change the main rear seal after you put the 'box back in. Why not do it now?

I would suggest you leave the rest dirty until you have it all assembled and then make sure it starts and runs very well.

Then use a high pressure washer to take all that grime off then check spark plug tubes (blow water out with compressed air) and dizzy (wipe it dry inside and out or use tons of alcohol sprayed on it), then start the engine and take the car for a drive to dry everything thoroughly in the engine bay.

Try to avoid washing the connectors, even though Bosch type should be water tight. A light spray won't harm them.

It's going to be a pig to change the main rear seal after you put the 'box back in. Why not do it now?
    seal done while box out and flywheel off, not interested in doing that twice

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Thread Information