Little Silver 205GTI - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Little Silver 205GTI

You need to be nicer to her, otherwise it will lock you out more often and ultimately you will sleep in the garage.

Smash a window to show her who's boss, I say.

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    You need to be nicer to her, otherwise it will lock you out more often and ultimately you will sleep in the garage.

Smash a window to show her who's boss, I say.
    I like to think it's her way of showing me what needs fixing

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Officially "Little Silver 205GTI" has locked me out!

The central locking is arguing with the door lock and at times doing an up/down dance.
    Does anyone have any advice how I might be able to get in?
    I didn't think that the passenger doors normally had a 'master' switch for the central locking, just a slave - ie, you should be able to turn the key on the passenger side without triggering a central locking fight? If not, can you not unlock the hatch and get in that way? Not very dignified, but do it when no-one is looking.....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
    I didn't think that the passenger doors normally had a 'master' switch for the central locking, just a slave - ie, you should be able to turn the key on the passenger side without triggering a central locking fight? If not, can you not unlock the hatch and get in that way? Not very dignified, but do it when no-one is looking.....
    Thanks Richard,
    I think it's a bit more sinister, the tail gate lock would only turn to the lock direction and the doors are both only allowing the lock to turn half way open and if I try the drivers door it has a hissy fit.
    I just fiddled a bit with the tailgate and managed to open it. Reached in and same thing with the internal door latches they just go up half way.
    Maybe one is jammed causing the issue????

Well I managed to get in so all good for now, but she's definitely giving me a message that the door mechanisms need some TLC.

Same goes for this highly accurate dipstick!

Have a look at the rubber mounts for the door lock motor. The ones on my si are worn out, which lets everything flex just enough to stop the lock opening...

And go to the wreckers and get another dipstick!!

Fellow Frogger!

Yep, you really need a sealing dispstick for the EFI to run properly so if you get a 2nd handy, by sure it seals properly.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElmo View Post
    Have a look at the rubber mounts for the door lock motor. The ones on my si are worn out, which lets everything flex just enough to stop the lock opening...

And go to the wreckers and get another dipstick!!

Quote Originally Posted by CEyssens View Post
    Thanks Richard,
    I think it's a bit more sinister, the tail gate lock would only turn to the lock direction and the doors are both only allowing the lock to turn half way open and if I try the drivers door it has a hissy fit.
    I just fiddled a bit with the tailgate and managed to open it. Reached in and same thing with the internal door latches they just go up half way.
    Maybe one is jammed causing the issue????
    Knowing these bartstards, I would suggest you check the wiring of the locking system. I wouldn't be surprised if something was amiss trying to keep locks in the lock state. Say a wire shorted or some such. Unplug motors one by one and see if the rest work or just unplug all from the car and connect an independent power supply to the motors directly and see what happens.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 27th June 2016 at 09:12 PM.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thanks for all the advise, I'll have a good look at the door lock solenoids and keep those things in mind.

And I've ordered two new dipsticks... Two GTIs two stuffed dipsticks....

I just replaced the torn up grommets on my passenger door lock actuator with some healthier looking spares and it seems to be working properly for the first time ever!

However, the true test will be when it has to let my wife in...
    CEyssens likes this.

Cleaned up and straightened the fuel filter bracket I sourced all ready to go just need my banjo fittings now

1000+ Posts

You can have my old top one, no bolt mind you, going to 8mm, onto evilbay you go, 14mm banjo bolt!
    CEyssens likes this.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    You can have my old top one, no bolt mind you, going to 8mm, onto evilbay you go, 14mm banjo bolt!
    Hey thanks Matt, I've got some on the way so I'll pass but thanks very much for the generous offer.
    M12 for the top and M14 for the bottom of the filter

1000+ Posts

no problem, enjoy! How did you get that bracket so clean? Mine of course was nicked and I sourced a replacement.

no problem, enjoy! How did you get that bracket so clean? Mine of course was nicked and I sourced a replacement.
    I used a vinegar solution, a bit old school you just need to be careful as it can take off the plating and you also need to neutralise it. I just go with a weaker solution and more time so I don't go too far.

1000+ Posts

Vinegar takes off CAD plating? Need to know if this is true, i have a need for about 1m of it gone.

Vinegar takes off CAD plating? Need to know if this is true, i have a need for about 1m of it gone.
    Ha, I've never used it to strip coatings but go for it, there's probably oodles on googles about it... maybe some other more aggressive potions out there?!?

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

What plating is that?

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    What plating is that?
    I think Matt is referring to cadmium plating

Got the right wheel, very nice and ready to go on, I'm definitely happy with that.

SilverGTi_6 likes this.

Default Little Silver 205GTI

Update, while stripping down and cleaning induction parts, replacing the split air ducts and found that the AFM inlet flange is stuffed, someone has glued it and packed it with a supporting ring. The old repairs are cracked so not far off coming away and venturing into the engine.
    So two cars now and same issue this must be common, over zealous work on the hose clamps! lucky I've got one to replace it.
    Last edited by CEyssens; 3rd August 2016 at 11:08 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I probably have 1 if you need another.

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    I probably have 1 if you need another.
    Thanks Warus,
    I have two spares I'll have to check that they are both usable. If not I'll take you up on that.
    cheers

My guess is that people try to tighten the hose clamps down as the rubber falls apart and the plastic starts squashing and eventually cracks. Found the same problem on mine but fixed it with a very thin ring of steel placed inside the plastic. I think by now these plastics are old and start breaking down anyway losing their elasticity so even a good one might end up the same in a short time. Keep an eye out for a suitable aluminium flange for DIY turbo mods available in most parts shops.

Default Little Silver 205GTI

I agree over tightening and no idea what's breaking inside as you can't see it and maybe the plastic was old or just heavy hands.
    Alloy turbo flange sounds interesting, I'd knock one up, but my time is lean with work and we have two toddlers so I'm going for mainly bolt on repairs at the moment.
    Last edited by CEyssens; 4th August 2016 at 11:29 PM.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread Information