• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI

Default 1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI

Hi Everyone,

Advertisement

Have enjoyed looking at things over the years and gleaned some useful info from various sources so thought I would contribute with a few things. I bought a CX recently needing a tidy up and a few things. Iíve always been a DS man and had sold my 1973 DS23 Pallas and immediately regretted it. I wanted another one but was not prepared to part with a kidney to finance it so a CX seemed a good compromise. I had one years ago and thought them good cars so started to have a look for another to play with.

I ended up with a so called Ď1987í CX2.5 GTI Series2. Not without itsí issues but certainly a good place to start. Iíve been having fun and learned a few things and hopefully these prove of interest to people not aware of them and maybe help them out with something along the line. If not, at least you can have a laugh at my struggles!

I know everyone loves a good photo so I have bit of a stash to put up and will add things as I go. I donít pretend to be any sort of expert but am just a keen owner prepared to give it a go, so am happy to be advised by more experience guys on anything that might catch their eye. I'm a bit new to this so please bear with me.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117795_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117890_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117802_full.jpg

So, let battle commence. Sophisticated, haughty French socialite versus the weedy bloke in glasses.

Wish me luck.

Regards to All,

Danny

Well done Danny. It looks in pretty good condition from here.
    Cheers, Peter J
    Current - 1974 D Special
    : 1976 16TS
    Previous - 1984 CX 25 IE : 1976 16TS : 1979 12 Virage

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Nice! I don't think I've ever seen a series II car that isn't a turbo. It's interior is quite different to what I'm used too.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

That virgin driveway looks untouched by French fluids...
    Boyracer and chez00 like this.

Welcome Danny - CX owners a very discerning group and you have a nice looking car. There are many helpful members on aussiefrogs so don't be afraid to ask.
    Dano likes this.
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Ok,

Looks like 15-Love to the car.

I picked it up a couple of hundred miles away so the drive home was a little nerve wracking. You never really know what to expect with a new car and it takes a while to get used to its’ foibles but anyway it drove home fine. I was feeling like King of the Road so after 3 days of faultless, reliable running I guess it was time for the car to remind me who’s the boss.

The engine starting chuffing slightly and seemed to be holding back so had a look and would you believe it the plenum chamber had collapsed! I dismantled everything for a look see and toyed with the idea of jamming the tube open with something but as luck would have it my local Citroen bod had a spare. I understand these let go every now and then but he reckons he had never seen one fail. Just my luck to encounter a fault an experienced Citroen mechanic has not come across!

I scrubbed it clean, surprising how much stuff gets through, and refitting was easy and off we went again.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx-plenum-chamber-1.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx-plenum-chamber-2.jpg
    Last edited by Danny Robins; 10th March 2016 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Robins View Post
    Ok,

Looks like 15-Love to the car.

I picked it up a couple of hundred miles away so the drive home was a little nerve wracking. You never really know what to expect with a new car and it takes a while to get used to its’ foibles but anyway it drove home fine. I was feeling like King of the Road so after 3 days of faultless, reliable running I guess it was time for the car to remind me who’s the boss.

The engine starting chuffing slightly and seemed to be holding back so had a look and would you believe it the plenum chamber had collapsed! I dismantled everything for a look see and toyed with the idea of jamming the tube open with something but as luck would have it my local Citroen bod had a spare. I understand these let go every now and then but he reckons he had never seen one fail. Just my luck to encounter a fault an experienced Citroen mechanic has not come across!

I scrubbed it clean, surprising how much stuff gets through, and refitting was easy and off we went again.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX Plenum Chamber 1.jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	81581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CX Plenum Chamber 2.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	81582
    The plastic inlet manifolds are known for doing that (at least they were 10years ago on the CX lists!).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

1000+ Posts

It looks like you have the turbo headlights;the previous owner of mine fitted them,turns night into day.

Hi,

Thanks, that’s interesting. I didn’t realise these were Turbo spec. I definitely have the 2 piece lights fitted.

Regards,

Danny1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117856_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117868_full.jpg

Very nice....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Hi Guys,

Thanks for kind comments. Car is certainly not bad but I think they always look better in photos plus these are from a while ago and car has suffered a little in the meantime. Few chips and a couple of scrapes here and there plus the big problem; no reverse gear. Manageable, so long as you don’t drive in somewhere you can’t get out but needing dealing with. Car has had quite a bit of work recently, all new spheres, rear arm bearings, new discs and pads all round, fuel pump & filter, new radiator, water pump & fan control switch.

Very first thing I found was water in cooling system so that was changed out to recommended antifreeze/ corrosion inhibitor. I took hoses off and flushed rusty water out of motor with a hose then reversed flushed it. After ten minutes or so the rust stopped and clear water came through. I had mixed coolant in a bucket and opened bleed valves in head and radiator and slowly filled her up, squeezing the hoses as I went to get air out. I gently ran motor to get pump going, all the while releasing air from valves then opened heater to get it fully bled. I was very careful for the next few days, always bleeding little pockets of air from the head whenever I stopped and it all seems ok. Nice easy job and satisfying to know it’s been done.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117812_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117948_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117880_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117832_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117822_full.jpg

Hi Guys,

Thanks for kind comments. Car is certainly not bad but I think they always look better in photos plus these are from a while ago and car has suffered a little in the meantime. Few chips and a couple of scrapes here and there plus the big problem; no reverse gear. Manageable, so long as you don’t drive in somewhere you can’t get out but needing dealing with. Car has had quite a bit of work recently, all new spheres, rear arm bearings, new discs and pads all round, fuel pump & filter, new radiator, water pump & fan control switch.

Very first thing I found was water in cooling system so that was changed out to recommended antifreeze/ corrosion inhibitor. I took hoses off and flushed rusty water out of motor with a hose then reversed flushed it. After ten minutes or so the rust stopped and clear water came through. I had mixed coolant in a bucket and opened bleed valves in head and radiator and slowly filled her up, squeezing the hoses as I went to get air out. I gently ran motor to get pump going, all the while releasing air from valves then opened heater to get it fully bled. I was very careful for the next few days, always bleeding little pockets of air from the head whenever I stopped and it all seems ok. Nice easy job and satisfying to know it’s been done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239117812_full.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	81615Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239117948_full.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	81619Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239117880_full.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	81618Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239117832_full.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	81617Click image for larger version. 

Name:	239117822_full.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	81616
    Oh no .... and automatic. Oh well, one there is a rebuild kit thrown through the gearbox, I imagine the gearbox will hten last the life of the car ( I can't imagine CX's doing hundreds of thousands of kms as the only car now they have reached this age ).

seeya,
    shane l.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Hi Shane,

I know I should whisper it but I actually prefer the CX with an auto. I've always thought the relaxed driving nature suits the car better. At least the way I drive, I'm a cruiser not a racer! I did have a 5 speed Station Wagon years ago and found the manual a bit clunky & chunky. Mind you, the auto certainly doesn't help with mpg, you always feel it needs to change up a couple of more times.

Cheers,

Danny

Hi Shane,

I know I should whisper it but I actually prefer the CX with an auto. I've always thought the relaxed driving nature suits the car better. At least the way I drive, I'm a cruiser not a racer! I did have a 5 speed Station Wagon years ago and found the manual a bit clunky & chunky. Mind you, the auto certainly doesn't help with mpg, you always feel it needs to change up a couple of more times.

Cheers,

Danny
    Pretty much everyone prefers the automatic .... unless there a masochist I guess
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

An unusual car, good condition, very nice

UFO

No reverse gear at all? Or does it stall when you try to reverse. If stalling check the state of the air filter concertina hose and/or the clamps holding it on.

For the few years we owned the CX I always thought it cried out (literally) for a fourth gear to drop into on the freeway at 100 or so. Would have made it a true relaxed cruiser - and better on fuel too!
    JohnW likes this.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Ha, nice try but I reckon 15-All.

Car obviously wanted to test my mettle and came up with an interesting experiment to gauge my long term commitment.

What it did was recreate the same symptoms as last time but now due to something entirely different. Idling ok but missing and holding back.
    Of course, quick look at the replacement plenum chamber but that was fine and nothing else obvious. I pushed the leads on tight but no difference but I noticed a distinct ‘ticking’ noise. Being a little old school I immediately thought ‘tracking’ and decided to have another look in the dark. When I lifted the bonnet all was revealed. Like a flash of lightning one of the HT was shorting out through the spare wheel!

It had had new leads but one must have been a bit dodgy and was allowing the spark to exit through the casing where it was earthing, I presume, through the steel belts in the spare tyre. I removed the wheel and hey, presto, car drove up the road no problem. As luck would have itI had the old leads so could swop one over and problem solved. If you look at the end of the lead you can just make out a burn mark where it was shorting.

It looks like gearbox is definitely faulty. I’m told seals often go in particular gears so they won’t pick up but I have something in hand.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx-damaged-plug-lead-1.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx-engine-bay-1.jpg
    GreenBlood likes this.

Hi All,

I have been suffering some starting issues that hopefully have been resolved. Car would always start first time but after a drive often the starter would not go. Lights would work but there wouldn’t seem to be enough to turn her over. If I left her for a break it would go again but it could be anywhere from 10 mins to a couple of hours later. On top of this the battery would drain at night with lights or a/c on so definitely something amiss

First thing I did was check battery. It was brand new but when I checked make and model I found that it was too small, the recommended one was the next size up, so that was the first thing. I also found the starter would get red hot when driving. It has the exhaust manifold curled around it and after a drive you couldn’t even touch it, it was so hot. I bought a foil heat wrap that protects venerable parts under the bonnet which really seems to work. $50 with a metal band that holds it in place, not cheap but money well spent . It definitely is stopping the starter getting cooked as I can put my hand inside the blanket and feel how much cooler it is.

Next thing was to check alternator. I took it off and dropped it at an auto electricians. His first remark was; ‘Where’s the rest of it?’ What? It seems the Ducellier on CXs have remote regulators which I knew nothing about. I got all the bits he needed so he could check all the diodes etc and he found it to be marginal. Bearings worn, wiring well cooked and power output very low. I left it with him for a week to be finally told they stopped listing spares for them ’25 years ago’. The decision was made to fit a modern one and we found a nice Bosch unit that looked a good fit.

It was bit of a fiddle to mount. We had to grind a little metal off the mounting bracket and also make up a support from an old DS one to get it right but once on it was good as gold. As it has an internal regulator it meant he was able to start ripping out bits & pieces and a load of ‘dead’ wiring so I ended up with quite a box of bits. I think it’s always a positive if you can clear some of the wiring on a CX.

Anyway, job done. Paid the man and car has been spot on ever since. Must say it is nice now to be slowly building a little confidence in her as before I always worried about straying too far. Now I am brave enough to go to the shops on my own, even if it is getting dark.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-002.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-006.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-003.jpg

Hi All,

Gearbox has now been sorted. As luck would have it my local Citroen guy had a rusted out CX from the same year. Black with a black leather interior completely ruined by a leaking sunroof, big holes in the body, mushrooms growing on carpet. But mechanically it was good, previous owner said gearbox was fine so we swapped them over. Easy enough job but heaps of labour, endless things needing to be removed then put back again. Unfortunately car was too far away to take many pics but I kept the old box while I have a think. I might be tempted to have it rebuilt while it’s on the floor.

While it was all out I decided to fit a remote oil filter to make life easier. The original fitting is bit of a bugger so I bought a kit from Super Cheap Auto. I made up a mounting plate to fit where the ‘Boom’ box goes on the chassis. They’re nearly always broken and mine had been smashed as well so not doing anything. The pipes can then be fed around top of engine and everything tightened up. Just make show the flow lines are all correct so oil is circulating. While I was under car I took a pic of the heat shield wrap around starter. It certainly is a snug fit there, no wonder they get a bit cooked after a few years.

New gearbox is great. Nice smooth changes and now I can go backwards as well so can relax a bit on the road rather than being constantly aware of getting stuck.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-027.jpg   1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-028.jpg   1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-019.jpg   1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-022.jpg   1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-024.jpg  
    CXVingtCinq likes this.

Good read, glad to see you're winning!

Good news! Neat filter fitting.

Several CX owners have big Bosch alternators now - 110 amp in my case.

You'll start loving it now....
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Yes, you’re right John, car seems to have a new lease of life. After a few weeks of reliable service my confidence in the car has started to grow, but don’t worry, I know not to get too carried away as I don’t want to tempt fate. However, I am happy enough to invest a little time and energy getting it painted. I got a couple of quotes and went with a guy who has painted a few Citroens lately who seems to have a soft spot for them. I imagine because he’s painting them, not fixing them. He has various Citroen paint lists from over the years and seems to know the variations.

I’m sure most people know the paint code is in the engine bay, stencilled on the side of the right hand chassis turret, under the wiring. Mine seemed decidedly Russian until I worked out that it had been put on twice. Once stencilled on and then hand painted on the other way up. I could then see that it was EPI-R, Blue Romantique. (This colour also has a Citroen code, I think it was AC161). This is one of those colours that changed so you can get a ‘Light’ or ‘Dark’ version depending on year. I decided to double check the year through the ORGA number, which in on the front of the left hand turret. This is the production day number that Citroen has put on all their cars from 1980. Mine is 3299, 20 November 1985. Yet the car was registered new in 1987 so has obviously sat around. Oddly enough I have just seen a same model CX, ORGA number 3297 registered in 1988 so that must have sat even longer. Very similar to mine, even down to the MPH speedo when it should be a Kph. So certainly worth checking to get the right year if you’re doing a full resto.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-007-copy.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-239117912_full.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-055.jpg

Paint on car wasn’t too bad but definitely lots of flaws here there and everywhere. What the Americans like to call a ’20 footer’, looks ok from 20 feet away but close up you can see all the marks and damage. Nothing too serious just stone chips and little rubs, slight crease by nearside rear wheel arch and some paint reaction on drivers’ door. I had thought of some rectification but there was too much so went for a respray.

Painter reckoned 4 weeks, start to finish. His charge out fee was $120 per hour so decided to strip it all myself. All straight forward, lights, bumpers, door handles etc just unscrew. Chrome strips just pop up with a little pressure from below to ease over the plastic clips. I took a few pics & measurements of rubber strips and badges to get it back on correctly. Rubber side strips were hard work. I ended up ‘sawing’ through the double sided tape that holds them on and they also have a blob of mastic at each end which took some dealing with. 1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-001.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-005.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-006.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-008.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	832041987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-007.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-004.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-003.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-002.jpg

I have been around paint shops occasionally so I know what they are like for Dust. They hate it but create an awful lot of it! So I power washed wheel arches & wheels and scrubbed door shuts and edges and also cleaned in and around bumpers to keep my dust down . To help deal with their dust I stripped as much as I could from interior. Seats, door panels out and the rest covered as best I could.

I got all the double sided glue off the body with turps which left it clean as a whistle. I’m not having the door shuts done but it was amazing how dirty the door interiors were once the panels were off. 30 years of accumulated dust all had to be washed away leaving the paint & wiring looking good.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-009.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-013.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-014.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-015.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-016.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-011.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-010.jpg
    ajaxvte likes this.

Car is a little too far away to pop in for photos but luckily the painter is ok about sending me the occasional ‘snap’ from his phone.
    Body is pretty straight, just lots of little bits to flatten off. I thought the n/s rear passenger door had had a knock but it seems the waviness was in the paintwork so easily rectified.1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx1.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx2.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx3.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx4.jpg1987 Citroen CX2.5 GTI-cx5.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information